Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 01:30 PM

339 posts, read 734,546 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I grew up in Western NY but have lived the last 10 years in Alaska. I've loved it but am thinking about moving back to the lower 48 now that I have a kid.
1. To be closer to family.
2. So my daughter can have more varied, comfortable outdoor experiences (it's harsh and dark in the winter here, and in summer we worry about bears frequenting our yard and voracious insects).

Anyone have experience with Alaska, or the PNW that could tell me if there are any smallish towns (~3000) in the Northeast (Maine, Vermont..) that will match the friendliness, hunting & fishing opportunities, and outdoor (hiking snowmobiling 4-wheeling etc.) opportunities of Alaska, or come close? Someplace scenic with lots of open country and public access? Are there real mountains?

My husband lives to snowmobile, ice fish, fish from our boat & hunt, so those are important. For me, family friendliness and hiking/biking are the most important. Also being able to affordably buy a home with a big piece of land and a nice view.

Even if you can't answer my question, if you could throw out some names of nice towns in the NE that I could research, I'd appreciate it. I know nothing about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,952,328 times
Northern and western Maine are much like Alaska, I would think. The mountains aren't as big, but there are mountains.

The spaces are very wide open, too. Property is fairly cheap.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 PM

82 posts, read 106,699 times
Not sure where you are in AK, but looking at Anchorage weather statistics, Maine is not going to be much less brutal than AK. Maine winters are long, with a lot of snow. Maine is a state of small towns. Even in the cities -- Portland, Lewiston-Auburn, Bangor -- it is very easy to get away for fishing, hunting, ice-fishing, snow-shoeing, snowmobiling, downhill skiing... We did it from Lewiston-Auburn all the time. Anywhere between Portland and Bangor, it is relatively easy to get to either the coast or the mountains. The southern coast from Old Orchard Beach down is very developed and pricey... as is the Portland area.

Compared to AK, the taxes in Maine will kill you.

Bethel (next to the mountains), Damariscotta (on the coast) are under 3,000 pop. and nice. Both are scenic. Bethel is closer to more public access lands (White Mountain National Forest). I wouldn't call it "open" land. Maine is heavily wooded.

Last edited by phaneuf; 04-04-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Thanks. We're in Dillingham in Western AK. We don't mind nasty/cold winters so much as the lack of daylight. Hard to get out when it's only light from 11am-2pm.

I'm sure the taxes are much higher, but overall I expect the cost of living to be much lower. Right now we pay $3000/year for heat, $250/month for basic internet and cell, $8 for a gallon of milk, $5/gallon for gas. Can you confirm that Bethel is cheaper in those regards? According to the Best Places city comparison, Dillingham AK housing is 40% more expensive than Bethel ME.

In terms of climate, it looks like Bethel has about the same lows in the winter and the same amount of snow. A bit more rain but MANY more sunny days (200 as opposed to 119) :-)

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look into those spots.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:46 PM

How about the hunting in Maine? I read an article that says most people in the state do not hunt, fish or own firearms.

Also, what do you think about Caribou in northern Maine? Is it scenic or farther away from the mountains?

Old 04-04-2018, 05:53 PM

30,588 posts, read 23,994,061 times
What Mainers call "mountains" are what you and I would call "hills", OP.

As for where to live that would provide you with what you want in Maine, (I have lived in Maine and I have lived in the PNW), you want to steer clear of southern Maine, unless you want to be reminded, every day, why you left NY in the first place.

Bangor and above, you can find some really nice little towns. You can find some little towns in the west, but you can also find towns near the coast that are not flooded by the NYers and people from Jersey in the summer time.

Weather wise in winter may not be any less brutal, but you don't have all that darkness like you did in Alaska in the winter, so that's a plus if you're tired of that.

Having lived in the PNW, Maine taxes are ridiculously low. Most everything is extremely inexpensive compared to many other parts of the country, but the food isn't. Compared to Alaska, depending on where you lived in Alaska, it may be just a bit cheaper, but not a whole lot. Unless you lived in some really rural part where everything was exorbitantly high.

Plus, now when you order something online, it won't cost you half a year's salary to get it there.

Whatever you might pay in taxes, you'll definitely save up because of the low cost of everything in Maine, again, compared to many areas, including the PNW and much of Alaska.

As for names of towns, it really depends on exactly what you want in your day to day life, too.

Edit: Also, not every place in Maine has cable for internet. Some places still have DSL. If you want faster internet, keep that in mind. My phone and internet was $100/month for 60mbps in Maine. Milk will not cost $8/gal, but it was about $3 when I was there, (give or take a bit, not much). Housing in AK is WAY more expensive that housing in Maine.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,807,263 times
Look at the towns around Lincoln. You can get on an ATV and ride 100 miles to the ocean. put your tires in salt water just to say you did and rife back - legally. Our unemployment rate is 3.8%. If you are versatile, you can get a job here. Lincoln is the economic center of the region with six banks and a credit union, all three major car dealers, a small hospital, a separate dialysis center and lots of lakes.

Nearby Millinocket has the lowest home prices in the state. Last year the town sold 16 houses for $48,000. That isn't each; that is for all 16 or an average of $3,000 per house. The town has suddenly realized that there is an economic benefit to allowing ATVs in town.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:51 PM

974 posts, read 2,398,445 times
Do some research on the Millinocket area. The area used to thrive because of two paper mills in the area. The paper industry in Maine has died a slow death and both mills are now shuttered. Real Estate is dirt cheap now because of this. Hunting, fishing, and all outdoor recreation are right outside their door. Mt Katahdin, the tallest mountain in Maine is only a few miles away. The Interstate that will take you to Bangor when you want to head to the city is only about 12 miles away. The only thing missing is a supply of jobs. Early in the morning you will see many vehicles headed down to the Interstate to Bangor where folks tend to have to go for employment. Based on what you plan on doing for employment, Millinocket would be my choice if I were looking to move to Maine from Alaska and trying to find a few similarities. You will find plenty of hunters and outdoor recreationists in that area.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:37 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,952,328 times
Everybody disses our "mountains", but Mount Katahdin truly is a great one. Its base starts at only 500 feet above sea level (approximately), and it is not surrounded by mountains so you really get the full effect. It is one mile high and to climb it is an all-day, very rigorous undertaking. The view from Chimney Pond (right in the mountain's "bowl", at about 1,500 feet) is spectacular.
There are many people in northern Maine who have a view of Katahdin from their kitchen window (even fifty miles away). It is part of Baxter State Park, a large park with other mountains, lakes, etc. That whole surrounding area has a wilderness feel.
Millinocket is the "gateway" town to Baxter. As Kelly Smith said, you can get a nice house there for $30,000 or so. (That would be with a regular lot).
There are many small towns in northern Maine where you can get a nice house and ten acres for $50-60,000. Houses and property are a bit more expensive around my town.
We love it in the Caribou area. It is more open with farming and fields, but there is lots of woods too. It's a little over an hour north of the general Baxter area. I can head due west and be in the Big Woods (the unpopulated forest) in 20 minutes. I like that.
It's very friendly and peaceful in northern Maine.
Good luck!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
As for names of towns, it really depends on exactly what you want in your day to day life, too.
Thanks so much everyone! Lots of options. Next summer we will definitely visit all the towns we're considering. Bethel, Lincoln, Caribou, etc. all sound fantastic, and are all within a day's drive of family.

If you're willing to help narrow it down, or throw out more town names, here's what we're looking for with day-to-day life..

-For recreation, we like to hunt/snowmobile/fish/boat/hike/bike/x-country-ski and would like to do all those things near home. As much public land and trails nearby as possible.
-A pedestrian friendly/bike friendly town would be great- to bike to work, etc. on bike paths or at least sidewalks. Our current town has a 25mph downtown with zero stoplights. We love it!
-No fast food chains please. A local coffee shop would be nice. Local produce, great.
-Good air and water quality? Can we eat any fish we catch? In Western NY, the water was just awful..
-Of course we'd like friends. So the more active outdoorsy families with young children, the better.

That's about it! We are used to living rural and so a big arts/culture scene, movie theaters etc are not important to us.

Thanks again! I really appreciate all the time and thought you all put into your answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine