Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM

160 posts, read 370,856 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give us any info on the Skowhegan area? Number of restaurants, the area businesses, growth potential, flooding, etc.

We are looking at some possible properties there and since we have not visited the area, are just curious.

Thanks for any help or input.
Lynn and Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn and Russ View Post
Can anyone give us any info on the Skowhegan area? Number of restaurants, the area businesses, growth potential, flooding, etc.

We are looking at some possible properties there and since we have not visited the area, are just curious.

Thanks for any help or input.
Lynn and Russ
skowhegan, has an old main str. and busier avenue (think its madison ave) that most of the commercial businesses are on,, it heads north to solon, then bingham, then eventually jackman (rte 201 i believe)
it is the hub of the area, surrounded by smaller towns,
lynn and russ, i believe thier are many choices(restarants) on the main avenue thru town, however, i may suggest to look at rte 150 that runs parallel to madison ave/rte201 and there are many roads that connect the two...
also i would look at rte 2 coming into town,,,,

when i travel to skowhegan, its usually off 95 from the fairfield exit and take 201 north thru hinkley, approaching skowhegan on this road may be an area to look at
as you come in to skowhegan from this direction , you come to a 4-way intersection (very busy) thier is a mall immediately to your right,,,thier have been vacancies in this mall for quite some time,,it looks like a very active area, and a good location, however it may actually too busy a location,,that its very difficult to get out of....
id suggest you travel thru there, between 4-6 pm to get a "feel"

another college town, that may be worth taking a look at is farmington, follow rte 2 from skowhegan

just my two cents,,,

some of these towns have an economic developer,,, that have a pulse for area businesses and locations,(and new commercial developments) might be worth a phone call to the town office.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
As you head north out of Skowhegan toward Madison you'll see a vacant restaurant on the right. It was a "Momma Baldacci's" when they were considering franchising. It closed about 5 years ago. It was a great location with good traffic flow and directly on Route 201 which is the main north/south route for Canadians enroute to Old Orchard Beach and for Americans going to Quebec. Add the in state recreational crowd, skiers, hunters, fishermen, snowmobilers and the summer theater at nearby Lakewood and it's a gold mine for anybody with a shred of business sense.

Part of Skowhegan is seriously flood prone, The above property is high and dry. There is one high end restaurant in Skowhegan located in an old home. It is small. Other than that the area restaurants are ordinary at best.

If this comes together I'll have a lot further to go when dining with Lynn and Russ. By the way, Lynn and Russ are common names in Maine. "Lynn and Russ's" sounds good. Could be "Russ and Lynn's" too.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
"Russ-Lynn" up something Good. Okay,... it wasn't that witty,.... I'm still feverish, yeah,.... sure that's it.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
"Russ-Lynn" up something Good. Okay,... it wasn't that witty,.... I'm still feverish, yeah,.... sure that's it.
Hahaha! That was a good one!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:27 AM

Part of Skowhegan is seriously flood prone, The above property is high and dry. There is one high end restaurant in Skowhegan located in an old home. It is small. Other than that the area restaurants are ordinary at best.

If this comes together I'll have a lot further to go when dining with Lynn and Russ. By the way, Lynn and Russ are common names in Maine. "Lynn and Russ's" sounds good. Could be "Russ and Lynn's" too.[/quote]

We saw a vacant restaurant called the Village Candlelight that is for sale. Is that the one you were thinking of? If so, is it prone to flooding?

Lynn's name would have to come first since she is not only the beauty of this duo, but the brains as well. Maybe even the brawn!

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 AM

some of these towns have an economic developer,,, that have a pulse for area businesses and locations,(and new commercial developments) might be worth a phone call to the town office.[/quote]

Thank you so much for the valuable information. That really helps us. We contacted the town developer on a couple of properties.

Lynn and Russ

Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 AM

333 posts, read 873,859 times
Default Newport Restaurant Closed

The Former Hawaiian Paradise closed and is up for sale on Route 2.
not a bad looking building and plenty of parking.. across the street from Cervasa's mexican .. I guess we had too many asian specialties in town,3

Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
That's a great location.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM

333 posts, read 873,859 times
Default Newport, Maine

Here's a map of the area, I haven't seen the listing anywhere yet

Last edited by ribbets; 08-03-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine