Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Anyone from rural Mid-Coast (out in the woods ) have cable tv service with high-speed internet? ... or is tv service all satellite there, outside of towns? High speed internet through the phone companies?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 03:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Directv.HD... We've had it 10 years now and will never go to cable again. Two years ago we went to the High Def version, amazing picture and sound. We have two 1080i Sony TV's and they're very nice. We still have a cable hook up for just the high speed internet but no cable to the TV. If I could get DSL through the phone I would, but we live too far from a sub station.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:03 PM

182 posts, read 490,963 times
I'm a mile and a half down a dirt road in a town with a listed population of just over 1000 people and I've got DSL. All we have is a tv antenna, I have little use for the boob tube.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Thanks for all comments and information. We are specifically at war with both of the country's satellite tv providers ... long story I won't bother to tell ;-) Want to know if cable is available as an option to satellite. Where we live now we enjoy a wonderful, community-oriented, small cable company's service — which includes free local announcements and advertising (garage sales and the like) ... they even posted a ferry cam for our little island line! Phone company here offers internet, but only contracts with satellite for tv service. Down in the city, the phone company offers all three services. That is what we are hoping to find in rural Maine.

(I too have no use for tv ... but my wife thrives on it for her connectivity to the world as she is profoundly Deaf .. Closed-Captioning has opened the world to her)

Old 03-23-2008, 04:44 PM

182 posts, read 490,963 times
Mind you this is my personal opinion....

I do not think you will find wired cable TV at my level of rural. There are simply too few people in too large a geographic area. It would be a lifetime before the providers saw any return against the expense of wiring the towns.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 PM

The economy of scale you mention is my assumption, as well ... just hoping to get lucky as we have on our little island out west

Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
I'm a mile and a half down a dirt road in a town with a listed population of just over 1000 people and I've got DSL. All we have is a tv antenna, I have little use for the boob tube.
He said... as he stared into his computer screen!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
nullgeo, you better make peace with the cable providers! Been there done that, don't get me wrong I wasn't happy about it.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 AM

In Maine, towns contract independently with cable service providers. For years our cable TV service was out of Rockland where the next town over from here was served out of Portland. Rural towns sometimes contract with providers on a "shall provide" type of contract which means no matter how far off the beaten path you live ,if you have electricity going to your house the cable company has a contractural obligation to provide service to your home without charging you for running all the cable. Not all towns will contract this way as it quickly gets expensive for the rest of the customers in very rural areas. Often several small towns will pool together to buy a cheaper contract. There are a lot of different cable tv scenarios in Maine. You really can't generalize in this area . You need to know what town you're dealing with and ask about the cable TV specifics for that town. For our money though we have much better service with the satellite tv providers than we ever did with the cable tv people.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
What are folks paying for satellite tv and satellite internet upta Maine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine