Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,883,805 times

Advertisements

Limestone Country club apartments is old Loring Air Force housing. Some are in real nice shape, others... not so much. Never heard of Prestile Apartments in Caribou, where are they located? Been around Caribou for almost 20 years and somehow missed that one I guess. I do know of one that the outside doesn't look the best, but the owner is fussy about who is in the apartments, and if somebody moves out, he goes through the entire apartment top to bottom. I'll DM you his cell phone, I don't know if he has any open right now, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 11,263 times
Default Moving to Caribou

I know this post is from April, but I have a feeling you all got transferred up there for the same reason we are.

I am curious if there is a hotel where we can stay for probably 2 days when we get to Caribou that allows pets. We will probably be arriving on 8/1 and will need at place at least that night. We have a house to rent but our household goods may or may not be there when we get there. We have 3 dogs so that's why I am hunting around for a motel now.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunaj View Post
I know this post is from April, but I have a feeling you all got transferred up there for the same reason we are.

I am curious if there is a hotel where we can stay for probably 2 days when we get to Caribou that allows pets. We will probably be arriving on 8/1 and will need at place at least that night. We have a house to rent but our household goods may or may not be there when we get there. We have 3 dogs so that's why I am hunting around for a motel now.
Whatever one you choose, do NOT stay at the Caribou Inn & Convention Center. I have been all over the country and stayed in some real dives, but it took going 12 miles into town for an evening, to stay at the dirtiest place I have EVER seen. Caribou Inn & Convention Center was that place. I personally would call Russells Motel, small, and older, but very nice people (207) 498-2567. The one on the other side of town is the Crown Park Inn and that is nicer as well (207) 493-3311. There is a B&B called the Old Iron Inn which is run by a nice couple who the Husband used to be a professor at the University in Presque Isle (207) 492-4766. There are a set of small cabins that are only a few years old that are mainly used by snowmobiliers during the winter and I THINK they are open all year as well, Called Caribou Cabins (207) 498-2800. If you are going out to Loring DFAS the closest one is the Riverside Motor Court (207) 492-1900 This one I have never been inside of so I have no clue as to the condition.

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 11,263 times
Oh no, why didn't I check on here this morning? The realtor we are renting from suggested the Caribou Inn, and I called this morning and made reservations. I am trying to get my husband to call and cancel. You mean the whole place is dirty, restaurant and other facilities included? Maybe that's why they are so quick to accept pets.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunaj View Post
Oh no, why didn't I check on here this morning? The realtor we are renting from suggested the Caribou Inn, and I called this morning and made reservations. I am trying to get my husband to call and cancel. You mean the whole place is dirty, restaurant and other facilities included? Maybe that's why they are so quick to accept pets.
Hair in the tub and sink (I am talking short curlys here). Sheets that looked like they may have been changed once in the last week. Glasses with finger and lip prints on them already. Trash still in the wastebasket. The gym is a nasty little place in the basement that hasn't seen a vacuum since the place was built in the late 80's early 90's (don't remember the exact year, but it was nice for a while after it was built). A few friends also stayed there after a wedding in town so they wouldn't have to drive home and all said the same thing about there rooms as well. Seems the pubes were a special treat in our room though. We left and drove home, never could get the manager to return our phone calls and never did get a penny back.

Believe it or not, the restaurant isn't bad at all. Has a semi-decent menu and quite tasty, a bit overpriced, but most motel restaurants are so no big surprise there.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,851 times
hello was wondering if i could have a copy of the list you are mentioning have been looking for days and in a hurry to relocate thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,500 times
Default Hi to All!!

Forgive me for kind of being off subject but I need some help. I am a single dad who grew up in little Wiscasset, Maine down on the South East Border. I miss maine so badly it hurts and want to bring my three teens there to live. I want them to experience all maine has to offer. The innocence, camping canoeing, hunting, fishing and the people and way of life over all. I have been looking all over Maine for housing and have found an incredible deal in Caribou. Mortgage payments are going to settle around $650 mo. My fears are great that I will struggle fiercely with finding suitable employment in the area. At least enough to sustain the kids and I. Please tell me I can make it there. I know Presque Isle is only 10 minutes away but where are the opportunities in the area. I am 46 now and a little achey in the bones. I was considering opening a Goodwill style thrift store with clothing and basic furniture and household items with pricing the way Goodwill used to be before they got greedy. Also considering a lawn maintenance deal with my son. Any feedback or advice or other comments would be greatly appreciated. I am really nervous about a move there but want that small town aspect again for my family. Please help.
Thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
I'm 47 and a little achey in the bones too lol. I live in Caribou. We have an economy about the same as most of Maine around here; not great but doing fair. Housing is cheap; wages a bit lower in general. There are jobs to be had if you look.
There are two good thrift stores in town already, so another one would have a hard time making it. Presque Isle has three. But there may be other opportunities. The town itself is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine