Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 AM
JWK JWK started this thread

54 posts, read 45,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is precisely what you need to do, first. The second thing, is to have a soil test done, before you close.

Once you purchase the land, it will be too late to get out of the deal. You need to know for certain, that you will be able to do what you wish to do on that land. Only the town officials will know for sure. They are the only ones who can tell you if there IS any "legal" way to live on that land before the house is built. You cannot hide from those folks anyway, so why not talk with them, right up front?

One Mr Gilbert is the code enforcement officer for that town. You should speak to him. They can give you his number at town hall. He can recommend a soil scientist to do the test. Under no circumstances should you buy that property before having a soil test done. If it doesn't pass, you are SOL.

There are folks here who live way out in the boonies, who live in Unincorporated townships, or in so-called 'pockets of freedom'. They bought many, many years ago. Times have changed. This isn't NY, but what some people used to do years ago, is no longer allowed. Be sure before you're sorry.

Good advice to anyone, and that is exactly what I decided to do for all the reasons you listed. However, Connie Sands is the code enforcement officer now and I spoke with her two days ago. If I put in an offer for this particular piece of property, it will be contingent on the soil test and approval of septic plan. The only thing I will not be totally sure about is a well, but no one around here has any problem drilling a well. The only thing that disappoints me is not being able to live on the land while the house is being built and living in the house before it is totally finished. The only way I can avoid that is to find property that will be a good 40 to 50 minute drive from Dover-Foxcroft, and I don't want my wife commuting like that anymore. We did that for many years back in NY so we could live a decent life out in the country, but it gets very stressful in the winter time. Such are trade-offs in life. You gather the info and make your choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
By what authority has someone told you that you can not camp on your own property?

Name
Position
Law or rule cited.

Maybe it is a subdivision bylaw in which case all bets are off. The board may be able to change the bylaws on a regular basis by majority rule. The majority of three is two and they could be a husband and wife.

Proceed with caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine