Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 05:53 PM

304 posts, read 396,837 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

I posted this within a message two days ago from another Post/Thread, and should have made this a separate Post, I wasn't thinking...

My Wife & I are moving out of Western Connecticut June 30th and want to live in Maine.
We can afford $1,000/month for a mortgage, but have no down payment (mostly due to Medical Bills for my ailing Wife).

We've been paying $900-/month, since April 2007 and are good, Christian people.

I don't know if a Mortgage Lender would 'entertain' us with a mortgage, so I'm asking about finding a Rental House.

We'd like to be over on the Northwestern side of the State, say between Rumford, North to around Rangeley Lake/Lake Umbagog, Upton areas.

(Yes, I realize that living IN Rangeley would be expensive. We live in a 'Lake Community' here in CT, right next to Candlewood Lake, so we know how expensive homes on/close to a lake can be),
So, we couldn't afford to live IN Rangeley proper.

Perhaps Phillips, Madrid areas...

I'd like something relatively remote, quiet, private with some land with this house, to garden/farm.
I'm also an active wood cutter (and firewood seller) and wood burner, so I WOOD like to continue with this.

HOW can we find a decent house/land to rent, long term/permanently?

Are there any Realtors or agencies who deal with rural home rentals?

I look on 'Zillow' almost daily, but there aren't very many homes for rent in Maine(?)
Here in CT the papers are just filled with house rentals (at astronomical prices)!

We're in contact with a lady Realtor from Belgrade Lakes, Pam.

We have less than 120 days to find something.

Can anyone on this great Forum provide us with some help with this?

Thanking you in advance!

CTwoodnutt.....(soon to be MEwoodnutt)!
Cannot wait to get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:33 PM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Have you tried:?

https://maine.craigslist.org/search/apa (type "rangeley" in the search box). You might also want to place an ad there, but be careful of scammers.

Search - Real%20 Estate | Uncle Henry's (type "rangeley" in the keyword search box)

Professional rental agencies would more likely rent vacation homes and cabins, but they might be able to offer suggestions; give them a call.

Rangeley, Maine Real Estate | Noyes Real Estate Agency

Real Estate For Sale in Rangeley Lakes Maine

Mountain Valley Property | Carrabassett Valley, Maine

Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Just a nugget of background information:
Maine has the highest rate of home ownership in the nation. The flip side of that is that we have one of the lowest rates of rentals. For anybody else interested in this topic, you can find some low cost seasonal rentals to house sit in the winter. There are no house sitting opportunities in Maine for the summer.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have been listing rentals using Zillow, Craigslist and other websites. So far it seems that these two get me the most nibbles.

Mine are in Old Town though, not the area you are looking in. I filled one unit last month, I still have unit to be filled.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
My daughter lives one town over from Rangeley and will be home for the weekend. I'll ask her if a house she mentioned a couple of weekends ago is still available. I think she said it was going to be open in May.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:09 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have been listing rentals using Zillow, Craigslist and other websites. So far it seems that these two get me the most nibbles.

Mine are in Old Town though, not the area you are looking in. I filled one unit last month, I still have unit to be filled.
Never knew you were a landlord, thats new.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Never knew you were a landlord, thats new.
During my Naval career we collected apartment complexes at each duty station. We sold out when I retired and moved to Maine. Though we have been lazily shopping ever since.

Last November we made the plunge and bought a downtown property in Old Town. We are refurbishing now. Two storefront commercial spaces, 10 small apartments, a huge loft studio apartment and a dance hall/meeting space. This property will have a total of 14 units available for rent.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
My daughter lives one town over from Rangeley and will be home for the weekend. I'll ask her if a house she mentioned a couple of weekends ago is still available. I think she said it was going to be open in May.
It's been spoken for.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:40 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
bethel, upton, errol, grafton notch, newry...

these are all towns in that region..... for searches..

now if you go north 10-15 miles to rumford,,,,,you will find many more rentals and vacancies....on the cheap side too

just look thru the links in the above post

Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM

304 posts, read 396,837 times
Default "...other websites..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Submariner,

Could you give please me those "other websites"?

I've been looking for "homes to Rent" (Rural) and really can't find much.

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt.......(hoping to soon become "ME"woodnutt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine