Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,734,503 times

Advertisements

Burglary is entering/ or staying in a dwelling w/out permission, with the intent to commit a crime......So I could enter your home just with the intent to leave a threatening letter and it would be considered burglary. In Maine it is the same for a motorvehicle....and is called "burglary from a motor vehicle".

larceny/ or Theft in maine- there are many different classes of theft....and all generally deal with the unlawfull taking, defrauding, or posession of someone elses property. I am over a friends house and steal $20 off the counter.....Theft. I sneak in a friends house with out permission and take $20 off the counter...burglary.

Applying a clearance rate to "all" crime categories is very ambiguous. Violent felonies and burglaries would be a better gauge. Petty thefts can be misconstrued…if a town has a mall the numbers can be sky-high and not really reflective of the town overall or the police dept. There are many theft's from motor vehicle's that go un-prosecuted.

Police work very hard to close case loads. It is not uncommon when someone is arrested and charged for a particular crime that if there is a potential plea deal part of that deal often will include the perpetrator coming clean on all of their crimes. I've seen cases where one person who was caught for a burglary and we ended up closing like 30 other individual cases.

I have a hard time understanding what the rock is trying to do......It is what it is. Crime in Maine in overall really cannot compare to most other places out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,760,578 times
The FBI says that Maine is the safest state. A friend of mine drove his pickup to Bangor to the Eastern Maine championship game last night. As he left the auditorium he had a sudden thought. He had left his brand new $600 chain saw and an older $400 chain saw in the back in plain sight along with gas cans, a jug of bar oil and some 2 cycle oil. It was an "Oh oh" moment. He was in the auditorium from 4:30 to about 9:30 PM. The saws and all his stuff were right where he left them. I would have expected no less.

- - -

The Lee girls won the Eastern Maine Championship. The boys lost to Calais, but Calais has won 63 straight games. That's about 3 years or more.

- - -

Sap's runnin in Maine. You saw it here first.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,732,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Burglary is entering/ or staying in a dwelling w/out permission, with the intent to commit a crime......So I could enter your home just with the intent to leave a threatening letter and it would be considered burglary. In Maine it is the same for a motorvehicle....and is called "burglary from a motor vehicle".

larceny/ or Theft in maine- there are many different classes of theft....and all generally deal with the unlawfull taking, defrauding, or posession of someone elses property. I am over a friends house and steal $20 off the counter.....Theft. I sneak in a friends house with out permission and take $20 off the counter...burglary.

Applying a clearance rate to "all" crime categories is very ambiguous. Violent felonies and burglaries would be a better gauge. Petty thefts can be misconstrued…if a town has a mall the numbers can be sky-high and not really reflective of the town overall or the police dept. There are many theft's from motor vehicle's that go un-prosecuted.

Police work very hard to close case loads. It is not uncommon when someone is arrested and charged for a particular crime that if there is a potential plea deal part of that deal often will include the perpetrator coming clean on all of their crimes. I've seen cases where one person who was caught for a burglary and we ended up closing like 30 other individual cases.

I have a hard time understanding what the rock is trying to do......It is what it is. Crime in Maine in overall really cannot compare to most other places out of state.

Great points, especially the mall aspect. I suspect here in Freeport shoplifting is much higher than Yarmouth due to all of the shops and LL Bean. I used to have a police scanner back before they went digital and was surprized at the number of shoplifting calls the police were getting in the height of the summer tourism onslaught.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 PM

222 posts, read 531,285 times
Default Crime is everywhere-but less here

I have trouble as well in understanding what Mr. Rock is trying to accomplish with these negative crime posts. Crime is everywhere, as it seems a part (sadly) of humans living together. But here in Maine, it is SIGNIFICANTLY less than other places and for that we have to be thankful. You can still walk you dogs safely, travel the highways at night and if you break down or end up stuck in the snow, God Forbid, you don't have to fear for your life. People will actually stop to help you. I thank God daily to live in a place with clean air and a LOW crime rate. Maine is not perfect there are many problems here that are significant and those issues would make for a lively discussion I believe.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:17 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,772,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Maine rates as one of the safest states for just about every crime. Here are the statistics. 1 = worst state 50 = best state
Categories of Crimes
Murder 44
Rape 49
Robbery 45
Assault 47
Burgulary 35
Auto Theft 49

Maine averages in the 95 percentile of all the states. That means there are only 5 states higher than us, if we had 100 states, since we have only 50, there are only 2 states safer than Maine.

Crime is not a major issue in the quality of life in Maine - end of story.
Gee, I don't know if I'd agree that crime wasn't a major issue in quality of life in Maine -- looks like a very positive indicator to me.

It's great that PetertheRock has taken the time to post stats which back up the supposition that the urban centers of Maine are so secure in relation to other US cities.

That should be very reassuring to all those folks looking for a safe, friendly place to raise their families.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,460,717 times
CG, that's the best post I've seen yet!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM

474 posts, read 1,420,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
I have trouble as well in understanding what Mr. Rock is trying to accomplish with these negative crime posts. Crime is everywhere, as it seems a part (sadly) of humans living together. But here in Maine, it is SIGNIFICANTLY less than other places and for that we have to be thankful. You can still walk you dogs safely, travel the highways at night and if you break down or end up stuck in the snow, God Forbid, you don't have to fear for your life. People will actually stop to help you. I thank God daily to live in a place with clean air and a LOW crime rate. Maine is not perfect there are many problems here that are significant and those issues would make for a lively discussion I believe.
You truly are fotunante AND it's nice to hear from someone who recognizes their pleasure at their surroundings.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,732,008 times
Petertherock stated in the beginning that these statistics were from a course he is taking. I don't think he's engaging an some kind of scare tactics he's just sharing some interesting statistics that came up in his studies. I think it was nice of him to share his experiences. Just like if someone wanted to share with us some statistics on sub prime loans they learned about in their real estate class, it's all interesting stuff!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM

37,586 posts, read 61,665,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Gee, I don't know if I'd agree that crime wasn't a major issue in quality of life in Maine -- looks like a very positive indicator to me.

It's great that PetertheRock has taken the time to post stats which back up the supposition that the urban centers of Maine are so secure in relation to other US cities.

That should be very reassuring to all those folks looking for a safe, friendly place to raise their families.
I agree

Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 PM

37,586 posts, read 61,665,256 times
On the topic of 'Crime Clearance Rates'.

According to the FBI.gov site
"a reporting law enforcement agency clears, or solves, an offense by arrest only when all of the following conditions are met.

At least one person must be:
Arrested.
Charged with the commission of an offense.
Turned over to the court for prosecution."

Charges get filed, a perp arrested, and it is given to the courts.

I find it interesting that if a jury comes back with an innocent verdict, the crime is still considered 'cleared' by the Law Enforcement.

Or the grand jury turns it down saying there was not enough evidence.

Or if the DA negotiates a plea to a lessen crime, the original crime is considered 'cleared'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine