Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM

406 posts, read 1,655,628 times

Advertisements

Old abandoned houses are common here...I've resisted exploring some of them. There was an old abandoned mansion in Woods Hole that I explored as a kid...very interesting in there.

I don't know about any of the other questions you asked, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,881,474 times
I love beachcombing and exploring tidal pools. When I was a kid, I had a ton of sea glass. Now I wish I had kept it all but when I was a teenager I decided it was dumb, and dumped it in the trash!! Aaargh!!!

Pemaquid used to be a good place to find treasures but not so much in recent years.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,456,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
Old abandoned houses are common here...I've resisted exploring some of them. There was an old abandoned mansion in Woods Hole that I explored as a kid...very interesting in there.

I don't know about any of the other questions you asked, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this.
I used to collect doorknobs from old falling down houses.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM

20 posts, read 90,321 times
I have 3 or 4 (maybe more) big boxes of junk i've pulled from different harbors.

I think someone did write a book on sea glass, and where to find seaglass - i saw it mentioned in the boston globe once; i'd like to buy it maybe.

a metal detector would be great. i once saw a man using one at a beach in beverly, ma, and he was explaining to me why i should really get a good one that costs about $1000 and an equally good headset. that very day he found some jewelry and musket balls. i found some very pretty and old looking pieces of china attached to some muscles in some rocks. it's hard when the shoreline is all rocky though, i guess that's what it must be like in Maine.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsvalentine View Post
I have 3 or 4 (maybe more) big boxes of junk i've pulled from different harbors.

I think someone did write a book on sea glass, and where to find seaglass - i saw it mentioned in the boston globe once; i'd like to buy it maybe.

a metal detector would be great. i once saw a man using one at a beach in beverly, ma, and he was explaining to me why i should really get a good one that costs about $1000 and an equally good headset. that very day he found some jewelry and musket balls. i found some very pretty and old looking pieces of china attached to some muscles in some rocks. it's hard when the shoreline is all rocky though, i guess that's what it must be like in Maine.
If you do some research you should be able to find some areas that were used as dumps or trash areas years ago and be able to pull out all kinds of things. My Mom used to do that and collect things like old glass bottles.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 PM

566 posts, read 1,418,824 times
We used to rent a house in Harpswell Neck for a couple of weeks every summer when my kids were growing up. We used to find a lot of sea glass. We would take our boat out to some of the little islands that are there and explore them. We found so many little treasures and lots and lots of sea glass. We used to keep it in a large clear glass jar. As the kids got older they made rules about which colors would qualify for the jar and it had to be totally smooth. My kids are grown now but have wonderful memories of that time and talk of them often. Thank you for starting this thread it brought back some memories of precious times with my kids.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
Northern Maine is full of old cellar holes and home sites. There are old dams where saw mills and grist mills once stood. I live across from the site where School #9 stood in our town. I have a map of three towns from 1875. I was bush hogging on my own land and saw a piece of green glass. I went to pick it up to toss it over on the stone wall. The glass would not budge. I got a stick and dug around it to find a bottle. It said Moxie Nerve Tonic.

When I added on to our house I found a bottle in the wall. It had a paper label. "Miss Lydia's Preparation for Ladies." I carefully opened the top and the botttle conatained rum. Therein comes the mystery. Did the lady refill the bottle with rum from hubby's stock, or did Miss Lydia supply rum in the bottle from the beginning?

It's just interesting to see what our forefathers used in their daily lives.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 90,321 times
These stories are incredible - i only dream of stumbling upon little treasures like these in my everyday life. if I found an old bottle like that in the wall of my home or just sitting in the grass somewhere, others would think I had just discovered a trove old coins and money, i'd be so elated. i just love old things, and when you find them, it's so much more exciting to have them.

Lindsey, did you keep the doorknobs? that's amazing. here in west virginia there's a mostly abandoned town nearby littered with old abandoned homes, an empty town hall/old opera house, a boarded up, and quite grand, masonic temple, and even a rickety old building with the words "coffins" on the side.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 AM

281 posts, read 1,055,466 times
Oh I love it! I adore hunting for sea glass! My last trip home to Maine last year I brought my 8 yr old daughter and insured she shared in the tradition of hunting for sea treasures! A little off topic, stumbling upon land treasures as mentioned, old indian burial grounds! I found once once in Eddington while hunting. Any one else? Can we start a tread on Maine Indian Artifacts found?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsvalentine View Post
These stories are incredible - i only dream of stumbling upon little treasures like these in my everyday life. if I found an old bottle like that in the wall of my home or just sitting in the grass somewhere, others would think I had just discovered a trove old coins and money, i'd be so elated. i just love old things, and when you find them, it's so much more exciting to have them.

Lindsey, did you keep the doorknobs? that's amazing. here in west virginia there's a mostly abandoned town nearby littered with old abandoned homes, an empty town hall/old opera house, a boarded up, and quite grand, masonic temple, and even a rickety old building with the words "coffins" on the side.
Unfortunately I don't know what happened to them, that was like 20 years ago, I used to take the entire bit of brass hardware off with the doorknob. I had one that was like burled wood but it felt like it was glass. I should imagine my Mother has them because she also collected doorknobs.

I love things like that, little treasures that hold history. Some people see them as junk.

I just saw an old building the other day as I was driving to the store, they are tearing it down and I checked out what looked like a nice example but I was affraid to get that close to the building, it looks like its falling down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine