Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
By the way, I have never had any problems with my out of state DL until I got pulled over. Apparently it is illegal to have an out of state ID if you are a resident of the state of Maine (more like, you been in the state for more then 30 days). Funny thing, it is not mentioned on the Maine BMV. But according to the Westbrook police, it is a $137 fine I'm going to take it to the judge.

Right from the booklet "State of Maine Motorist Handbook and Study Guide". Available wherever you can get license plates, vehicle registrations, and some town offices.
Quote:
Acquiring a Maine Driver’s License____________________________
Who Needs a Maine Driver’s License?
· Any resident of the State who wishes to operate a motor vehicle in Maine. New
residents who hold a valid driver’s license from another state must surrender that
license and apply for a Maine driver’s license within 30 days of establishing
residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
By the way, I have never had any problems with my out of state DL until I got pulled over. Apparently it is illegal to have an out of state ID if you are a resident of the state of Maine (more like, you been in the state for more then 30 days). Funny thing, it is not mentioned on the Maine BMV. But according to the Westbrook police, it is a $137 fine I'm going to take it to the judge.
You're out of luck. It is online.

When you future Maine folks move here be SURE the state you left behind cancels your driver's license when you get a Maine license. Minnesota didn't cancel my daughter's license. It caused problems for her when she went in to renew her Maine license when it was due. Minnesota hadn't canceled her license so Maine wouldn't issue her a renewal. It took a few phone calls and a very nice man in MN BMV to get it straightened out.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Hmm. I carry a California driver's license issued in 1983, a Wa issued in 1995, a Ct from 2001 and a Maine driver's license from 2005.

None of these are illegal.

I fail to see the problem.

I have never 'notified' a previous state about my current address.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,967 times
That sounds weird.....The requirement to get a Maine drivers license after 30 days doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are required to get a tag and insurance in Maine. Mainers, correct me if I am wrong here. Okay, so I elect to spend 60 days in Maine. I have a valid out of state license, and a valid out of state registration and tag. So, I get a Maine DL, officially establishing myself as a Maine resident. Okay, so what about the insurance on my vehicle. I am no longer a resident of my home state, therefore the insurance I carry, while sufficient while visiting another state, can become null and void when I become a resident of another state unless I secure a policy issued in that state. in this case Maine. That would seem to cause a nightmare. The rates would be different because of the inherent coverage required by the new temporary home state. Some states are no fault, some are not. Example, in Florida, all you have to carry is property damage. I know this because when the guy pulled out in front of me, the only thing I was paid for was the vehicle. My auto insurance had to pay our medical bills. He was charged with the accident. It would seem less complicated to simply secure insurance, tags and drivers license at the same time. Please correct me if I made something simple into something complicated.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Every state I have ever lived in you were required to have a drivers license in that state and your private non-commercial vehicle registered in the State when you declared residency in that State. As for the insurance you have to have the minimum required for the state you are a resident of in every one I have been in as well.

Just visiting, going to school, or a member of the military then you can leave everything in your "home" state.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
The intent is that if you move here, you move here. Most people aren't bothered. It usually takes some sort of traffic stop... speeding, etc, to get written up for all the other offenses that you can get summoned for. Always a way to make money.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
In some states, well, at least one that I know of, The Law says that if you spend 30 consecutive days in the state, you are required to swich your license and registration.

Not all Laws make sense. But, if you don't tell them you didn't, and they don't watch you 24 hours a day for a month, they don't know if you went out of the state or not.

I think in most cases, for a reasonable period of time, you won't get hassled. On the other hand, if your local constabulary *knows* that you have been living in the area for the last 6 months and you go out of your way to cause them to become annoyed at you, then they might add one more charge to the pile.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,419,586 times
Washington state is like that. Learned that the hard way!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
In some states, well, at least one that I know of, The Law says that if you spend 30 consecutive days in the state, you are required to swich your license and registration.
I seem to remember something similar in all the states I have lived in...

I also know folks who have lived FOR YEARS without changing their license in most of these places. And I know several who deliberately register and tag their vehicles, and maintain their licenses, in states where they either no longer live or have never lived -- for various reasons, usually financial.

No, it's NOT legal, but none of the folks I know have been busted, either. And I would not say none are rabble-rousers, either... though not the sort who deliberately annoy the local cops. One who comes to mind in a crusading veterinarian, who has frequently and repeatedly annoyed the county commissioners and such over issues involving animal welfare and is hardly keeping a low profile in our county.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I seem to remember something similar in all the states I have lived in...

I also know folks who have lived FOR YEARS without changing their license in most of these places. And I know several who deliberately register and tag their vehicles, and maintain their licenses, in states where they either no longer live or have never lived -- for various reasons, usually financial.

No, it's NOT legal, but none of the folks I know have been busted, either. And I would not say none are rabble-rousers, either... though not the sort who deliberately annoy the local cops. One who comes to mind in a crusading veterinarian, who has frequently and repeatedly annoyed the county commissioners and such over issues involving animal welfare and is hardly keeping a low profile in our county.
LOL, I found out about this kind of law after *I* annoyed the constabulary. I had a TX license and was driving a vehicle that I had purchased and registered after making my way back from there. The registration was more than 30 days old and they were happy to educate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine