Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,706 times

Advertisements

Ya'll have my poor brain confuzzled with all this back and forth licensing stuff - think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing since we bought the house in Eastport, just keep my WV drivers license and car tags even though we spend 6 months in Maine. Heck, the police chief only lives 5 doors away, doesn't bother him a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:46 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,612,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Ya'll have my poor brain confuzzled with all this back and forth licensing stuff - think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing since we bought the house in Eastport, just keep my WV drivers license and car tags even though we spend 6 months in Maine.
Same here. If you are known and in an area with little or no LEO, it's only an issue when you are out and about and stopped for some infraction. It won't go well if your car matches the description of a bank robber's get-away car because then the police will all be hyped up and ready to get you on any little infraction to hold you until they can find the gun or the loot. But how often is that likely to happen?

Did I just say that out loud?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 AM

263 posts, read 616,845 times
Default Bill would tighten driver's license requirements

Has anyone seen the article about the new bill?
I never knew that Maine doesn't require proof of residency.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
Has anyone seen the article about the new bill?
I never knew that Maine doesn't require proof of residency.
Nope. One of the last few states that do not.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:39 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,492,414 times
Off topic alert, but in the same vein. Did you know that the Constitution does not guarantee you the right to vote in a federal election. Google that for yourself. I almost fell over when I heard that, and from what I gather it is true.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Off topic alert, but in the same vein. Did you know that the Constitution does not guarantee you the right to vote in a federal election. Google that for yourself. I almost fell over when I heard that, and from what I gather it is true.
I'll go off topic with ya. Does this mean cornerguy is gonna move us to a new thread?

To answer your question, yes, I knew that.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Same here. If you are known and in an area with little or no LEO, it's only an issue when you are out and about and stopped for some infraction. It won't go well if your car matches the description of a bank robber's get-away car because then the police will all be hyped up and ready to get you on any little infraction to hold you until they can find the gun or the loot. But how often is that likely to happen?

Did I just say that out loud?
We live in a wonderfully 'low-LEO' area, and we are becoming known.

However Old Town is 'high-LEO' and when I first got here, I was pulled over repeatedly. No violations, no tickets. Just "Who are you"? and "Where do you come from?", and "Change your DL and tags soon".

Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No violations, no tickets. Just "Who are you"? and "Where do you come from?", and "Change your DL and tags soon".
So what you're saying is that sooner or later Corgis and I will be caught when we are driving in or through a high LEO area?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 PM

35 posts, read 304,790 times
Does this law affect a person who is the military? When I was in the Marines in California I had Colorado plates on my car and a California driver's license and never got stopped. I guess the best thing is if you do have an out of state license don't speed or break any laws and you won't be stopped. By the way, if you have veteran's plates on your car, the police won't pull you over in any state.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
I have no idea.

A small town with far too many LEOs, they know everyone, and they get bored. Being a small town their jurisdictional area is small. They are confined to a small area, with a small population.

I once observed Old Town LEO pull over a car-load of college kids, searched their car [finding nothing] because the driver had purple hair.

My first summer here, I was pulled over three times until they got to recognizing my face. Ct tags on the car.

Now I have Maine tags with a combat medal on them.

I have been pulled over once since then, I passed a radar speed trap on operation, and I was flashing my headlights at on-coming traffic. Who turned out to be yet another cop. He was majorly ticked off at me. But I broke no law, it was broad daylight, I turn turn on and off my headlights at will during daylight. He yelled at me, I smiled and thanked him, offered to flash my headlights again, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine