Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I've never actually cooked them and eaten them however have been the "lucky" one to have brought the first one up thru the hole and been forced to bite the head off. Not pleasant, but a long time tradition. Now tell me how many of you haven't done that after a long day of 'ice drinkin'? C'mon....
Wash it down with the last of the tequila and the worm at the bottom. Yummy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Wash it down with the last of the tequila and the worm at the bottom. Yummy!!

I used to fish mostly the Abbagadasset and the Muddy Rivers in Bowdoinham.
We used to do put all the girls together in one camp and the guys in another and it became a huge competetion. More than once one of the guys would come drop a fish down our chimney, lovely.

"Tequila makes my clothes fall off"

Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
These are salt water smelts. Up here in the far frozen north we get our smelts from brooks that run into deep cold lakes. I was out smelting with my future brother-in-law years ago and it was about 2 AM and raining. There was still snow in the woods. We had about 4 smelts. The next brook we tried had a good run going and I was being careful not to snag my father-in-law's net on a root or rock. His net was old and weak. Suddenly I dipped a large sucker about 16 inches long. I swung the net onto the bank and took the sucker out of the net. I turned and heaved that sucker as hard as I could up into the woods.

With the rushing brook and the rain I couldn't hear anything else and there was a man walking behind me. He got hit smack in the face with that sucker going about 40 MPH. He put his net and pail down and I thought to myself, "I'm going to die!"

The old guy looked around, looked at me, picked up his pail and net and said, "SOB, I'm going home," and up the trail he went. Maybe he gave up on smelt fishing right then and there. I never said a word.

We took our smelts home and had smelt and eggs for breakfast. Some people snip the heads off. Some people have special barber shears they have sharpened to a point and clean the smelts with one snip. Some people take the bellies off their clams. I don't know why. We just fry our smelts whole. Mmmm good.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 AM

406 posts, read 1,655,086 times
I'll be open minded about the smelts...but just from what I'm reading, there is (so far) nothing that has sounded appealing about the smelts! =)

Old 02-13-2008, 07:38 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
They have a sweet and delicate flavor. Back then the limit was 5 quarts so two guys could fill a 10 quart pail. Now the limit is 2 quarts and the usual measure is a half gallon milk carton. I never counted the smelts, but with fresh water smelts there are a whole lot in a half gallon container. We breaded ours in a corn meal and flour mix. Just put a hand full in a paper bag with the mix and shake the bag. Deep fry them until the coating is golden brown. It doesn't take long.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
The tidal smelts we are catching now run up the streams and brooks as spring arrives. There is a 3 quart limit on them starting March 15. That's when everyone takes their shack off. You can still walk up the brooks at night with hip boots and a flashlight through April and grab them by hand as they swim by. That's fun! I never did much smelting on the lakes but I hear it's pretty much the same thing. The smelts run a bit smaller and look shinier than the tidal ones. Still pretty tasty though! I hear smelts are a Christmas Eve tradition in many Italian families. Does anyone have any family recipes?

Old 02-13-2008, 05:10 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
Default Do You Like Smelts?

Do I like smelts? I don't know... But I love the title of this thread When I was a wee child my grandfather looked forward to the running of the shad (a bony, oily fish) on the Potomac. It is still a regular event. I see lots of fisherfolk on the riverbanks then. When I worked for the Navy, another small fish, the mullet, was a favorite of folks in Florida. They used to hang out around the big warm submarines (the water is lighted). Sometimes you would see a whole bunch of them leap out of the water en masse. That was when a big black ray passed by... Once we saw a _big_ black sting ray mama with her little ones around the boat - that was quite awesome. No mullets around then.

Last edited by quiet walker; 02-13-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Name for a new bar...The Smiling Smelt. First round is on me!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:14 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Name for a new bar...The Smiling Smelt. First round is on me!
I'll drink to that - I can imagine a Melvillian sign

Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 PM

I love the sucker story....too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine