Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:32 PM

19 posts, read 25,879 times

Advertisements

Feb. 29th was the deadline for interested parties to dispute the signatures submitted for Bloomberg's gun control ballot initiative. My understanding is more than enough valid signatures were collected by this imbecilic clown's paid petition gatherers so it seems the initiative will move forward. A deeply disturbing, very troubling development, it seems to me. It is un-American. It does not belong in Maine. Please not here. Not in my new home. This is the kind of insanity I am fleeing in NY

I sincerely hope and pray this measure has no chance of passing. What happens now, Mainers? Does it move to the Legislature? Can they stop this or change it in any way? Or will it appear on the ballot in November?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 07:40 PM

7,064 posts, read 9,159,863 times
Don't know what you're talking about. Got a link?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,317,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Don't know what you're talking about. Got a link?
Neither do I....

Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 AM

428 posts, read 560,859 times
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...ballot-measure

Old 03-03-2016, 04:42 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,478,030 times
A more objective source (since the NRA source states "Maine election officials are verifying petitions for a ballot measure requiring criminal background checks for all private gun sales in the state", and that's not true).

https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_2016_ballot_measures

And a summary:

Quote:
This initiated bill requires a background check before a firearm sale or transfer between individuals not licensed as firearm dealers. If neither party to a sale or transfer has a federal firearms license, the parties meet at a licensed firearm dealer, who conducts a background check on the transferee and completes the sale or transfer as though selling or transferring from the dealer's own inventory. Exceptions to the background check requirement are made for transfers between family members, while the parties are hunting or sport shooting, for emergency self-defense, in the presence of the transferor and in other circumstances.

Last edited by GreenGene; 03-03-2016 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-03-2016, 05:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,478,030 times
And here's a link to the proposed wording of the actual legislation that includes a list of exceptions to the law: http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/ci...background.pdf

Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,405,841 times
Does lepage have veto powers, and if he could veto this, i assume he most likely would.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:38 AM

7,064 posts, read 9,159,863 times
Thanks Gene.

Dummies. Just going to cost people money, the FFLs aren't going to do the checks and transfers for free.

Quote:
The group Maine Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense is leading support for the initiative.
Supporters

• Maine Gun Safety Coalition
  • Sean Geagan, Bucksport police chief
  • Laurie Fogelman, a citizen sponsor and domestic violence prevention advocate
  • Christopher Dickens, a citizen sponsor and gun owner from Blue Hill, Maine
  • Amy Fiorilli, a citizen sponsor from Otis, Maine

Old 03-03-2016, 06:07 AM

3,474 posts, read 7,298,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Does lepage have veto powers, and if he could veto this, i assume he most likely would.
In this state, the governor doesn't get to veto citizen petions that are put to the ballot. It is up to the people to either vote it up or down at the ballot box.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:10 AM

428 posts, read 560,859 times
The only SALES between unlicensed individuals allowed under the proposed law are between family members or those involving antique firearms. The NRA did not exagerate by much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine