Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:27 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,957,670 times

Advertisements

Greetings Mainers! In recently few weeks, I have become interested a property in the southern part of the state. Although I like my present location quite well, I would love to own a property in Maine for largely investment/part time use.

The Downeaster train service is what initially drew me in towards the three towns of Oob, Saco, and Biddeford. I know that Oob only has train service during the summer and Biddeford/Saco train station is shared, however I wanted get opinions/feel for the areas from you guys.

I would really appreciate it if you would give a background on these towns. I know Oob is largely summer place, however how are they in the Winter? Any idea on "feel" of the towns?

I am planning on buying a duplex, possibly a triple decker where I would like to keep one unit for my use and rent out the other(s). Your thoughts would be most valued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:15 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
what's OOb?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Old Orchard Beach, The Quebec Riviera.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Old Orchard Beach (OOB) is a resort beach community, Maine's version of "Atlantic City". Maine families have been going to OOB since my grandmother was a little girl. My Mom and Dad took me there when I was just a babe. It is nestled between Saco and Scarborough. It has its honky tonk district and amusement park and is a popular family vacation destination.

It is particularly popular with visitors from Quebec. Bien Venu au Old Orchard Beach. Welcome to America welcome to OOB.

The sandy beach stretches down to Camp Ellis and Ferry Beach and is walkable and wonderful! The salt air, the cry of the gulls and the salt sharp air off the ocean and the hustle and bustle of families having fun! (It is also within 5 miles of my grand daughter's house, and just may be my Maine home!!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
That 5 mile stretch of beach is one of the few places where you will see surfers and cross country skiers enjoying their sports side by side in February.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
OOB and next door Pine Point are gorgeous, esp in Autumn when the tourists have left!! Pine Point area is amazing...not at all ostentatious and very unassuming, covered with a wide uninterrupted swath of gorgeous sandy beach shared with piping plovers, gulls, beached sand dollars and other amazing ocean creatures.
I can just close my eyes and smell the air, hear the surf and sense the unbelievable beauty of the beach.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,728 times
I can just close my eyes and smell the air, hear the surf and sense the unbelievable beauty of the beach.

...and the sound of "#23, your order is ready" coming over the speakers at the Clambake.
That's where I grew up, so it's all in good fun. We used to sit in the church across the street from there on Sunday mornings and my sister and I would laugh our heads off every time someone's order came up.

In answer to the original question, OOB is pretty deserted in the winter and crazy full of tourists in the summer. Some parts are a little trashy with the Palace Playland and the arcades, but you can get some great fries on the pier. There are definitely parts of Old Orchard that are more residential, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. It has a completely different feel than adjoining Pine Point.

Saco and Biddeford both used to be considered working class mill towns, and like anyplace else have good and bad areas. Biddeford Pool is nice, and has the University of New England so maybe a good rental opportunity, but it wouldn't be near the train station. I'm not sure where that is, I'm assuming it's near Main St in Saco. I've heard that the area is revitalizing quite a bit, so I'm interested to hear what others who have been around recently have to say. That's a great sign that they are adding new train stations!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbykt View Post
[i]
We used to sit in the church across the street from there on Sunday mornings and my sister and I would laugh our heads off every time someone's order came up.
I was surprised to see that (Catholic?) church is vacant and for sale! Any idea why- has the parish size decreased or just not enough priests??

Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 AM

254 posts, read 1,183,728 times
Re: St Jude's Chapel: I think there were a couple of reasons. Since it was only a summer chapel, it never had enough money- I remember even as an altar girl 25 years ago this was an issue. It always was in need of repair, and nobody wanted to pay, since they all donated to their regular parish. Then the lack of priests in the area has just made it worse. My parents go to St Max's in Scarborough and they have to share a priest with churches in Cape, Portland, and South Portland. I loved it there though- it was so cold and echo-y. Very church-like.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
So the Roman Catholic tourists who come to OOB will have to live up to their name and "roam" just a bit further over to Portland or Scarborough?

Last edited by elston; 02-05-2008 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine