Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,513,223 times

Advertisements

For some reason I have "always" wanted to go to Maine. When we relocated 7 years ago my husband chose Alaska and I chose Maine, however, Alaska won out due to what was appearing as better employment opportunities.

I have been told repeatedly (and one friend is from Mass. originally), who married a woman from Maine, that the people in Maine are very cold and unfriendly and do not welcome newcomers; and that you could live there 20-years and still be referred to as the "newcomer."

From what I read on these posts this does not appear to be true at all. Why is it that I have heard people say this?

Maine, like Alaska, is a truly beautiful state. The pictures I have seen of Maine often make me think of Alaska, including the long, coldddddddd winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 04:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,560,727 times
Welcome to the Maine forums, alaskapat. Do you have any leanings to a particular part of Maine or are you still deciding?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 AM

Default Not sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Welcome to the Maine forums, alaskapat. Do you have any leanings to a particular part of Maine or are you still deciding?
I have done some research on the net. Really not sure what part yet. Would like a small town area. Maine has been on my mind for the past 15-years. I have family in Conn., and the midwest, but too many taxes in CT. Maine weather is very similar it seems to that of Alaska. Alaska is just too far from family in the midwest (4000 miles).

Any recomendations? Thank you for replying.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:58 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,954,683 times
You are pretty much right. You may live here for twenty or thirty years, and you will still "be from away" to the true native.

Technically, I am from away. I moved to Maine as a permanent resident in 1977 after my first wife decided that I should live somewhere in the deep woods and a long way from her. Life has been MUCH better for me ever since.

But the issue of whether or not I had lived here for a long time was brought up in Town Hall during a meeting several years ago. The special town meeting had been called over an issue to which I was opposed, both because it involved a large expenditure and because the proposal contained "pork" that didn't address the specific need.

I think it was the third selectman who made an observation about "people who didn't have deep roots in town", pointed at me. I stood and simply stated that my mother had been born and raised in the next town; the land that I lived on had been in my family since 1900; and my great grandfather had built one of the first mills in Ellsworth around 1850. I said that I realized that I was not born and raised in town, but that my roots in town and the immediate area were very, very deep.

That ended any conversation about my being "from away".

Maine is a place of very small towns. Relative to many places, Maine is very poor. But Maine people are very hardy, and have a very proud heritage of contribution and production. Whether it is leading Union Troops in the Battle of Gettysburg (Joshua Chamerlain), or setting an example for women's achievements (Margaret Chase Smith), people from Maine aren't second place citizens. Many long term residents...born here or not...like the things in their neighborhoods just the way they are. While well meaning, there are many, many times when people have moved here "from away", and proceeded to tell everyone how much better things were in New Jersey, Connecticut, Philadelphia, or Youngstown.

I believe that it is THAT attitude of many people "from away" that alienates the "locals". When people move here "from away", they are welcome by everyone. Just be a real person, smile, and remember that this is Maine. What you see is what you get. If it isn't quite as good as whereever you came from, you ARE free to leave and return. Most people who live here...whether it is Southwest Harbor, Mars Hill, Portland, or Rangeley, basically like it just fine.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I have done some research on the net. Really not sure what part yet. Would like a small town area. Maine has been on my mind for the past 15-years. I have family in Conn., and the midwest, but too many taxes in CT. Maine weather is very similar it seems to that of Alaska. Alaska is just too far from family in the midwest (4000 miles).

Any recomendations? Thank you for replying.
You will get a lot of varying opinions. I'm partial to Eastport. Love the water, love the people, even love that it's a bit isolated. It depends on exactly what you're looking for. Give us even more of an idea and we all will chime in! Trust me we're not shy.

Last edited by dramamama6685; 02-03-2008 at 05:33 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 AM

Default I know what you mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
You are pretty much right. You may live here for twenty or thirty years, and you will still "be from away" to the true native.

Technically, I am from away. I moved to Maine as a permanent resident in 1977 after my first wife decided that I should live somewhere in the deep woods and a long way from her. Life has been MUCH better for me ever since.

But the issue of whether or not I had lived here for a long time was brought up in Town Hall during a meeting several years ago. The special town meeting had been called over an issue to which I was opposed, both because it involved a large expenditure and because the proposal contained "pork" that didn't address the specific need.

I think it was the third selectman who made an observation about "people who didn't have deep roots in town", pointed at me. I stood and simply stated that my mother had been born and raised in the next town; the land that I lived on had been in my family since 1900; and my great grandfather had built one of the first mills in Ellsworth around 1850. I said that I realized that I was not born and raised in town, but that my roots in town and the immediate area were very, very deep.

That ended any conversation about my being "from away".

Maine is a place of very small towns. Relative to many places, Maine is very poor. But Maine people are very hardy, and have a very proud heritage of contribution and production. Whether it is leading Union Troops in the Battle of Gettysburg (Joshua Chamerlain), or setting an example for women's achievements (Margaret Chase Smith), people from Maine aren't second place citizens. Many long term residents...born here or not...like the things in their neighborhoods just the way they are. While well meaning, there are many, many times when people have moved here "from away", and proceeded to tell everyone how much better things were in New Jersey, Connecticut, Philadelphia, or Youngstown.

I believe that it is THAT attitude of many people "from away" that alienates the "locals". When people move here "from away", they are welcome by everyone. Just be a real person, smile, and remember that this is Maine. What you see is what you get. If it isn't quite as good as whereever you came from, you ARE free to leave and return. Most people who live here...whether it is Southwest Harbor, Mars Hill, Portland, or Rangeley, basically like it just fine.
I know exactly what you mean when you say about people moving there want to change things to like they were from where they came from. That is what is going on in Anchorage. They come up here and complain about the moose, the bears and the wolves being a danger. My only complaint when I came here was: Was in the grocery store and lettuce was a $1.29 a pound lol, where I come from it was sold by the head for like 99 cents.

I am not one who complains about things not being like they are from where I lived before. Don't mind being considered "from away" as long as people are friendly and it doesn't carry over into getting a job. Alaskans have a thing about being Alaskans up here and complain about so many people moving here, they especially complain about Texans stating they don't know how to drive lol. And let me tell you, the drivers up here are terrible; but then they are from all over.

Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it. Have a great day.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 AM

Default Eastport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
You will get a lot of varying opinions. I'm partial to Easport. Love the water, love the people, even love that it's a bit isolated. It depends on exactly what you're looking for. Give us even more of an idea and we all will chime in! Trust me we're not shy.
Hi, yes I was looking at Eastport. What I would like is a town where my husband who is an electrician could find gainful employment. I do office work. Alaska is a dog state; they are everywhere. I absolutely love dogs and animals. We own 2, or should I say, they own us lol.

I like a small town atmosphere where people are friendly but not always in your business. I also love the water.

Any info you provide is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:33 AM

12,082 posts, read 39,032,860 times
Quote:
... and that you could live there 20-years and still be referred to as the "newcomer."
True to a point. It really depends on the town. I have been here almost 20 years and still get the "but you're not from here..." every once in a while, but it a rare thing. I know somebody who is "from away" and sits on his towns school board, city counsel, and is one of the most respected people in town. No it isn't because he has money, he has been broke almost his entire life that I have known him; they respect him because he really cares about his town. That is the key, get involved because you really want to, not because it is good "networking".

Quote:
From what I read on these posts this does not appear to be true at all. Why is it that I have heard people say this?
Most people who say this (And this is going to sound horribly ignorant and "hick") are from Mass, New York, or Conn. They are the ones who come up to Maine and try to "educate" and drag "out of the stone age" the poor people of Maine. The people of Maine need neither.

Quote:
Maine, like Alaska, is a truly beautiful state. The pictures I have seen of Maine often make me think of Alaska, including the long, coldddddddd winters.
Never been to Alaska (one of 4 states I've never been to) but hope to go someday soon, so I can't say one way or the other. I would like to think Alaska has colder, longer winters, but from what I've read and researched I think that depends on where you are in Alaska and/or Maine.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 AM

There are already several folks from the forums living in Eastport both full and part time. They are several more of us looking to get there sooner or later. I *sigh* am among this last contingent. I loved Eastport the moment I set foot in her. Artsy, friendly, peaceful. My DH has a great deal of family history there as well. As for up in your business, well... my understanding is that this does happen. Those who are from there will be able to provide a better take on this for you. BTW, welcome to the ya-ya's!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 AM

12,082 posts, read 39,032,860 times
Quote:
Hi, yes I was looking at Eastport. What I would like is a town where my husband who is an electrician could find gainful employment. I do office work. Alaska is a dog state; they are everywhere. I absolutely love dogs and animals. We own 2, or should I say, they own us lol.

I like a small town atmosphere where people are friendly but not always in your business. I also love the water.

Any info you provide is greatly appreciated.
I am also an Electrician, so can tell you for sure that you probably want to be downstate someplace. Where I am the wages for Electricians are very low, average for Journeyman is $10 -$15 an hour while a Masters license MIGHT get you another dollar. Maine only has reciprocity agreements with New Hampshire and Vermont, so if he doesn't have a license from either of those states, then he will be required to test after submitting the proper documents proving hours and schooling. Maine has a requirement for two years of schooling in an approved electrical program. the link for the requirements for the different licenses are as follows:
Masters - Master Electrician, Senior Master Electrician (over 70 years of age) : Electricians : Office of Licensing and Registration
Journeyman - Journeyman Electrician Senior Journeyman Electrician (over 70 years of age) : Electricians : Office of Licensing and Registration
All licenses and information - License Types : Electricians : Office of Licensing and Registration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine