Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM

23,677 posts, read 18,782,718 times

Advertisements

Moved to ME from MA within the past year. Back there, my truck would always improve by 4 mpg whenever they switched over to the summer blend, but since moving here I have yet to notice that difference. Over the summer when I would gas up downstate (Bangor south), I did actually get a significant increase in mileage. Do they use different blends in different parts of the state? Or in Northern Maine, do they just not have a summer blend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 12:18 PM

124 posts, read 173,532 times
I was wondering about the different blends as well. I would like to know when the switch is made to winter blend for diesel fuel. Does anyone run additives in their diesel trucks to prevent gelling or is the winter blend fuel in Maine enough to prevent gelling?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:51 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,091,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydinMaine View Post
I was wondering about the different blends as well. I would like to know when the switch is made to winter blend for diesel fuel. Does anyone run additives in their diesel trucks to prevent gelling or is the winter blend fuel in Maine enough to prevent gelling?
They should have switched over to winter blend this month (Oct.). No. 2 diesel has different cloud/gel points depending on which refinery it was produced at (+20 - +10F, usually). Newer diesel motors have finer filters and gel up sooner than older motors.

No. 2 diesel may be blended with up to 50% No. 1 (kero) but this provides less lubrication than straight No. 2. It is definitely not advised to run straight No. 1.

Working for a trucking company for the last 7 years, we always used a commercial anti-gel additive in our diesels, because the regular "winter blend" available didn't seem to be enough all of the time, especially when temps dropped below -10F...and when it's -25F, you definitely don't want to be out monkeying around trying to change out your filters to get the stupid motor going. Ounces of prevention are worth pounds of cure, in this case for sure.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
They should have switched over to winter blend this month (Oct.). No. 2 diesel has different cloud/gel points depending on which refinery it was produced at (+20 - +10F, usually). Newer diesel motors have finer filters and gel up sooner than older motors.

No. 2 diesel may be blended with up to 50% No. 1 (kero) but this provides less lubrication than straight No. 2. It is definitely not advised to run straight No. 1.

Working for a trucking company for the last 7 years, we always used a commercial anti-gel additive in our diesels, because the regular "winter blend" available didn't seem to be enough all of the time, especially when temps dropped below -10F...and when it's -25F, you definitely don't want to be out monkeying around trying to change out your filters to get the stupid motor going. Ounces of prevention are worth pounds of cure, in this case for sure.
I'll pick up some anti-gel additive this week to keep on hand and add when I fuel up throughout the winter. I've run Power Service (white jug) in the past when I've traveled to northern states. I never had a problem with it. What have you used and have had good results with for additives? I know some guys run Howes, so maybe just a brand preference thing.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,705,083 times
"Or in Northern Maine, do they just not have a summer blend?"

Now, that's just plain funny. I don't know if the start date for winter mix varies by area for either gas or Diesel, but I bet I can find out.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:44 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,091,942 times
Ummmmm, I think we used "Diesel 911". You might want to check your manual/dealer to see if there are any recommendations, or known products that contain certain ingredients that you might want to avoid (that could void your warranty, if you have one, or damage the DPF/Regen system, if you have one). Aside from that, it comes down to what brand you like.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:16 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,303,127 times
I wondered the same until I figured out that the grades are steeper on the roads in Maine. In a larger vehicle especially- a steeper grades changes your gas mileage ratio.
Case in point- in Virginia, the roads are no more than a 2 percent grade in general. Here the grades are common to be 4 percent to even 6 percent as common place. Add also that you have speed zones ( towns) so going from say 55 mph to 40 mph down to 25 and back up- over and over. In other words- you are getting more city driving gas mileage than "highway" driving gas mileage.
just an observation...

Old 10-27-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ummmmm, I think we used "Diesel 911". You might want to check your manual/dealer to see if there are any recommendations, or known products that contain certain ingredients that you might want to avoid (that could void your warranty, if you have one, or damage the DPF/Regen system, if you have one). Aside from that, it comes down to what brand you like.
I'm familiar with Diesel 911. It is a Power Service additive that is designed to be used after gelling has already occurred. Power Service makes a diesel fuel additive that is an anti-gel plus cetane booster. I'll run out this week and pick up a jug from TSC. They have it on sale right now. I'm going to have to change out my oil as well. I normally run 15w-40, but will switch it to 5w-40 for cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine