Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:43 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

Regardless of who was in office at the time, when auto makers needed a bail-out they got bail-outs. All of them. I find it interesting how the sound-bite so focused on GM, when Ford got a larger sum from the Federal Reserve, while GM, Toyota, etc got theirs from Congress. Whatever it would have happened anyway, and our Federal Debt went up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,865,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Yup. It's okay to bail out the auto industry, but give a few bucks in food stamps to a working mom and listen to the screeching.
How many thousands of jobs do welfare moms create? how many billions of dollars in commerce do welfare moms cause?
Giving tax breaks to large companies in order to get them to stay here in the US, providing jobs is just a fact of life in the modern global age, The US is in competition with many other places that would be very happy to have these jobs.

p.s.
I was against the bailouts.

bill

Old 10-16-2015, 10:37 AM

332 posts, read 505,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
None of the many Republicans I know were in favor of the bailouts. They refer to GM as "Government Motors".
Obama did the bailouts. Doesn't fit your template, I know.
It was Bush in December of 2008 who agreed to the bailout of the Big 3.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM

[quote=roadrat;41581854]How many thousands of jobs do welfare moms create? how many billions of dollars in commerce do welfare moms cause?
Giving tax breaks to large companies in order to get them to stay here in the US, providing jobs is just a fact of life in the modern global age, The US is in competition with many other places that would be very happy to have these jobs.

p.s.

Understood. BUT the auto industry failed to make changes that would have increased efficiency. Much of the responsibility for their fiscal crisis was the result of corporate sluggishness in the face of global competition.

I purposely used the phrase 'working moms' in my previous post in order to avoid the scarlet implications of the 'welfare moms' epithet. Not everyone who receives some sort of assistance should be tarred with the label that includes them as members of the permanent underclass. A class, btw, which is here to stay and bound to grow larger and larger.

What really bothers me about your post, despite its practical sense, is the underlying assumption that some lives are worth more than others. Our brand of capitalism infects us all with the notion that $$$
is the yardstick for measuring personal value. I object.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Whoever left the comment about my math: the Big 3 in were GM, Ford, and Chrysler. So...???

Old 10-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Edit: ...the Big 3 in 2008...

Old 10-16-2015, 01:34 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,303,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Shoeshine View Post
Welfare moms were a creation of Ronald reagn...its just code words for disparaging blacks.
Actually it came from Jimmy Carter. He would also use the reference frequently in his creation/support of " Habitat for humanity " type organization...

Old 10-16-2015, 02:12 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,865,639 times
[quote=foglover;41582496]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
How many thousands of jobs do welfare moms create? how many billions of dollars in commerce do welfare moms cause?

p.s.

Understood. BUT the auto industry failed to make changes that would have increased efficiency. Much of the responsibility for their fiscal crisis was the result of corporate sluggishness in the face of global competition.

I purposely used the phrase 'working moms' in my previous post in order to avoid the scarlet implications of the 'welfare moms' epithet. Not everyone who receives some sort of assistance should be tarred with the label that includes them as members of the permanent underclass. A class, btw, which is here to stay and bound to grow larger and larger.

What really bothers me about your post, despite its practical sense, is the underlying assumption that some lives are worth more than others. Our brand of capitalism infects us all with the notion that $$$
is the yardstick for measuring personal value. I object.
How in the heck did you get this out of my post?

bill

Old 10-16-2015, 02:53 PM

@roadrat: you compare the commercial benefit of big business to the lives of those who are not contributing to the economy. The implication is that the millions spent to prop up business is justified whereas the pennies spent on welfare is frivolous. You may not have meant that, but that is how I read it.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

p.s.

bill
Well the sad irony in that is that a lot of the welfare moms work part time (because that's what they generally hire) at the corporations who reap the biggest welfare breaks of them all.

It wasn't too long ago when Wal*mart caught hell for handing out welfare applications with their employment ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: