Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,723,137 times

Advertisements

I know that Maine last year became the oldest state in the nation. And I Know that there has been some debate about young people leaving the state but recently this subject really hit home. Auburn's School population has steadly declined also.

During the last year it just seemed as though we knew so many people that have died or became very ill. All of them older of course...neighbors and friends of parents. Feels like I am surrounded by old sick people.

It wasn't until this past few weeks I was out in AZ and I noticed the developement My friend lives in was filled with young people.......or people my age......... family aged with children.....children were out and about and it just seemed as though there was so much life.

I found visiting my sister in Va was the same way as my friends in AZ

In comparison My neighborhood here in Auburn with about 30 homes and in a great location has only 6 homes with kids (2 of them have college aged kids and they will soon be gone) and we just found out another neighbor with children the same age as mine will be moving due to Auburn's high taxes.

Am I in the wrong town or in the wrong state? I wonder of towns like Gorham and or Scarborough would be a better choice.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:34 AM

48,159 posts, read 22,022,438 times
The taxes in Auburn are definately a disincentive!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM

1,667 posts, read 4,371,160 times
this is one of my concerns about potentially leaving CO in the next year or so to be with my girlfriend in Camden. Not that I don't get along with people, but having somebody besides my gal to pursue rigorous activities like running, skiing, cycling, etc. would be good. Seems like an awful lot of retirees are coming West...I guess for the warmer, drier climate.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 AM

380 posts, read 1,179,197 times
Flycessna, This is a great question! That is one of my concerns about moving up there. I would probably be moving by myself, to mid-coast or Down East areas, and I am wondering if at 34 I will really have any "peers". I can hang out with anyone of any age if they are interesting, but aside from Portland and Bangor, are there many young (not that I am) folks around?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:47 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,431,316 times
Same here! In my endless research, I am having to be aware of the demographics of the various areas we have looked at. I am coming with 3 of my own little people, ages 7,6 and 2. It IS an important factor when you have a young family, and you have to make sure there is adequate stimulus for their age level.

One thing I've considered is the quality of education in areas where there is primarily an older population. You know, a city is either going to focus on educating the young or properly caring for the aging. That seems to be the trend that I am seeing.

Good question!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 AM

1,667 posts, read 4,371,160 times
I guess I'm not the only 30-something considering a move to the area...it's cool to think that maybe there'd be a trend...

Old 01-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Thanks everyone....We had two homes change ownership this past summer....We waited with high hopes but in the end BOTH were bought by retired people. I have nothing against old people...my new retired neighbor has come over several times when I was in the yard...just to be social...and all my neighbors are excellent people, but Since I didn't grow up here most of my long term friends..."the gang" are all over the country. None of them seem to be facing the same dilemma as me. It gets lonely watching the PATS go undefeated by myself........though my 2 year old can yell "touch down" and hold both hands up when they score.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,391,751 times
May be there are a lot of older people. On the street where I live there are three older couples (we are one) but, there are at least fifteen children of various ages. We have kids that come to the door for bottle drives, to sell cookies and other funding items. Halloween we had over a hundred kids (we live in the "center of town"). If you read our little local paper it has "kids of the week" listed from each grade listed each week. It seems to me,.. kids are pretty precious to people here. Go to the store with your children and someone will usually remark to you how cute, smart or well behaved your child(ren) is/are. Kids are told (by me for one) your Mom/Dad must be so proud of you! If you were to look for a caregiver for your child in this town, you could find an older Lady/couple that would treat your child as their own grandchild. If you were on hard times, they'd likely care for your child free. Older people (at least many of us) REALLY enjoy having a kid around. We watch the kids playing in the snow just because they're so cute. My advice? Introduce your children to the neighbors. They will be watched out for and probably fed goodies from time to time. I bake too much, a neighbor next door has three kids, the neighbor on the other side cares for them while their Mom is at work. I send my extra cookies, granola bars and such to the sitter (who also feeds them supper). It makes me feel great when they enjoy it and the kids get that extra little attention.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:17 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,975,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Thanks everyone....We had two homes change ownership this past summer....We waited with high hopes but in the end BOTH were bought by retired people. I have nothing against old people...my new retired neighbor has come over several times when I was in the yard...just to be social...and all my neighbors are excellent people, but Since I didn't grow up here most of my long term friends..."the gang" are all over the country. None of them seem to be facing the same dilemma as me. It gets lonely watching the PATS go undefeated by myself........though my 2 year old can yell "touch down" and hold both hands up when they score.

AHEM!!! - I resemble those old people remarks.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
AHEM!!! - I resemble those old people remarks.
ya I know....hey...my parents are retired. I love the older generation and what they stand for..they are great role models.......I grew up in a neighborhood with a large amount of retired folks.....they almost paid for my college from me mowing their lawns and shoveling. But I am just looking for a balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine