Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:50 PM

6,635 posts, read 13,583,730 times

Advertisements

I remember that!

KAF, it's easier for me to put an animal out of its misery than to watch it suffer. There's a sick to my stomach feeling until the second after I pull the trigger or whatever it is I have to do. The tension building up to it is hard on me. When it's done there's a big sense of relief. I've done the job and can relax. The animal is no longer suffering.

One of my friends got a call today to go get her buckling from a neighbor. Rather than run up to the barn to do a head count she jumped in the truck and went to retrieve him - but he wasn't one of hers. She thinks he must have gotten away when being loaded or unloaded at the auction earlier (in PA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 04:21 PM

411 posts, read 901,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I remember that!

KAF, it's easier for me to put an animal out of its misery than to watch it suffer. There's a sick to my stomach feeling until the second after I pull the trigger or whatever it is I have to do. The tension building up to it is hard on me. When it's done there's a big sense of relief. I've done the job and can relax. The animal is no longer suffering.

One of my friends got a call today to go get her buckling from a neighbor. Rather than run up to the barn to do a head count she jumped in the truck and went to retrieve him - but he wasn't one of hers. She thinks he must have gotten away when being loaded or unloaded at the auction earlier (in PA).
Wow, that is funny. Imagine, finding an extra animal. Well, I guess bonus for her, too bad it wasn't a doeling right? We have had 2 does kid out this year, one gave us twin bucklings, the other a single buckling. The twins were in the house for a month, and now moved out to the barn 2 days ago... and the singleton was given a week w/ mom for bonding and then moved in w/ all the rest of the girls and mom. Too funny though, now the mom of the first (who hadn't had her kids on her more than 14 hrs. before I took them) and then spent 2 weeks w/out any kids running around at all before the new buckling was born has kind of "adopted" the new buckling. He nurses off mom still, but grabs a snack from the other doe once in awhile, and both mom and the other doe parent him. It's too cute to watch. Now we've seen the other does who are due soon letting him climb on them, and play w/ them. All we can think is the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child". lol Never seen anything like it!!! Bt it's too cute.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:29 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,112,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
I understand this as well... I can't do the killing. But I can do the rest. I just can't actually KILL something. Don't know why, maybe I could w/ a gun. But not by hand. I understand, and yes, I think it's a woman thing, for most women anyway. I think if something was truly suffering, and I had to act fast, I could do the act, but not just "because" I wanted it dead, catch what I mean?
I can kill it. What I *can't* do, is "the rest". Except frogs, I can take the legs off and skin 'em and cook 'em. But that's as far as I go, I just can't get to taking "innards" from where they belong.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM

6,635 posts, read 13,583,730 times
I can clean any bird put in front of me but there's no freaking way I'm cleaning fish.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:46 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,112,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I can clean any bird put in front of me but there's no freaking way I'm cleaning fish.
OK, I can do relatively small fish, pickerel and smaller. But I don't eat fish.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,376,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Nope, I wish MW. The ONLY place we've found in the state even willing to take a rabbit for slaughter, never mind USDA is in West Gardiner. We use Guilford for goats. Of course, this is all for meat that we sell at market, etc... since we do all our own slaughter here for our own use. Or at FB's house, depending on the critter and space needs.
Friend of mine used to live very close to West Gardiner Beef, and she is the one who got them started in processing rabbits.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:47 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,668,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Wait, wait. Stop the bus. Maine Writer, I can understand having a pig processed, but a rabbit? I can do your rabbits for ya. I'm not a USDA inspector, but I don't mind doing the deed fer ya.

The only trouble I have is making them go from alive to dead. That's what my pistol is for.
you SHOOT rabbits?? Egads... (no I am not shocked at eating them just the manner of "making them go from alive to dead." The way I was taught was much more hands-on and personal and I will NOT discuss it here. But it works well, quickly and requires no ammo.)

Heck, I don't even shoot goats...

Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Friend of mine used to live very close to West Gardiner Beef, and she is the one who got them started in processing rabbits.
Well Alison, thank her for me. lol When we bought our rabbits from a guy down the street who was going more toward goats, he stated that there was no one in the state that does USDA or state-inspected rabbits. That we'd have to go to NH for it. After much searching and calling around, I found West Gardiner, but you know, he still doesn't believe they do it. lol... oh well. Anyway, thank your friend.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I can kill it. What I *can't* do, is "the rest". Except frogs, I can take the legs off and skin 'em and cook 'em. But that's as far as I go, I just can't get to taking "innards" from where they belong.
I understand this as well. The first time we processed rabbits I watched. Couldn't watch the killing, certainly couldn't participate. That was it right there, the taking innards "out". Could not wrap my brain around it. Second time I was able to watch the killing and participate, as I knew eventually I would have to. Then after that I've been able to hold the rabbit while hubby dispatches it, and do all the following steps, and it doesn't bother me now. But I totally understand your view. I still can't get past the killing. I think if I did it once I could do it again, but I can't bring myself to try.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,192 times
Do you know the phone number for the rumney auction, I wanted to know the dates of their auctions. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine