Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,900,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Beggin' twon't have much ta due 'bout uhit.
Now quit showing your from away self. It's an expression--a polite way to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
This whole "us" and "them" or "natives" and "from away" is simple minded and archaic.

When you move somewhere, when you start paying taxes, you have a vote.

It's not uncommon in my experience for those from away to do more for their communities than the "native mainers" who spend most of their time complaining about anything those from away are doing.

I once had to listen to the mindless drivel of an old timer complaining about an out-of-stater planting day lilies along the road in front of her house. This same out-of-stater wanted to take a decaying building and turn it into a restaurant and entertaining facility. Today, it's still a decaying building.

I've seen town meetings where some illiterate woman will say "will the real mainers please stand up" to oppose something when someone from away is proposing something that will economically benefit the town.

Eventually those mainers will die off. Until then, they're fine with a decaying state while pretending it's all rainbows and unicorns.
I really hate that I missed that town meeting. Just because someone doesn't agree with YOU, doesn't make them "mindless" or "illiterate." The native Mainers I know spend most of their time working and at times wondering why those from away came to Maine (couldn't wait to convert from tourist to resident) and now want to try to change Maine. You apparently think what these from away people want to do/changes they want to make is a good thing; obviously, the natives aka "real Mainers" disagree. There are plenty of young native Mainers who aren't even close to dying off. One of the things that makes Maine so very special is if you move here, you adapt. The natives don't grant you a "vote" or accept your "vote" just because you relocated. Why did you/do you want to live in a state you think is "decaying?"

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-30-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 AM

16,706 posts, read 15,705,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I'm going to guess your solution is "Let's urbanize Maine, become the next Massachusetts.". California sent many natives already to the surrounding states and has ruined most of them, you're going to do the same thing to Maine by wishing for the same problems.
People who come to Maine and then try to change things are likely to be "shunned" by the natives. People that come to Maine and spend their time telling natives about life somewhere else don't do much better.

Let's take a nice little seaside town like Lubec, see a new guy come in and tell them they need a couple of traffic lights and an all-night MacDonald's, and see how well accepted he is.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:15 AM

631 posts, read 750,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
People who come to Maine and then try to change things are likely to be "shunned" by the natives. People that come to Maine and spend their time telling natives about life somewhere else don't do much better.

Let's take a nice little seaside town like Lubec, see a new guy come in and tell them they need a couple of traffic lights and an all-night MacDonald's, and see how well accepted he is.
What I talk about online and real life are two very different things. I don't live in Maine for another 5 weeks and as far as I am concerned the old license plates on my car never existed. I care nothing for bringing up California in real life, Maine is a much better state.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:03 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,027,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I'm going to guess your solution is "Let's urbanize Maine, become the next Massachusetts.". California sent many natives already to the surrounding states and has ruined most of them, you're going to do the same thing to Maine by wishing for the same problems.
You don't have to urbanize when we already have a bunch of crumbling urban areas. We need to attract new business. We could very likely attract a bunch of tech jobs, except for our corporate and personal income tax being among the highest in the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Here we go again, this attitude that Mainers need "talent" from away with the implication that the natives don't have talent. How can you stand to live in such a place?
/yawn

I seem to remember a certain discussion regarding expression of xenophobic feelings a couple years ago.

Quote:
I really hate that I missed that town meeting. Just because someone doesn't agree with YOU, doesn't make them "mindless" or "illiterate."
If that's all you got from that, then you're not comprehending that post.

Quote:
The native Mainers I know spend most of their time working and at times wondering why those from away came to Maine (couldn't wait to convert from tourist to resident) and now want to try to change Maine. You apparently think what these from away people want to do/changes they want to make is a good thing; obviously, the natives aka "real Mainers" disagree. There are plenty of young native Mainers who aren't even close to dying off. One of the things that makes Maine so very special is if you move here, you adapt. The natives don't grant you a "vote" or accept your "vote" just because you relocated. Why did you/do you want to live in a state you think is "decaying?"
This is only common in the older generations.

I've never found it in the younger generation.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
You don't have to urbanize when we already have a bunch of crumbling urban areas. We need to attract new business. We could very likely attract a bunch of tech jobs, except for our corporate and personal income tax being among the highest in the nation.

/yawn

I seem to remember a certain discussion regarding expression of xenophobic feelings a couple years ago.

If that's all you got from that, then you're not comprehending that post.

This is only common in the older generations.

I've never found it in the younger generation.
Well now, if YOU haven't found it, it must not exist. You seem to think you have ALL the answers and ALL the solutions to ALL things that you perceive as problems; if you say it or think it or type it, it MUST be true because you know it ALL. You've made that quite clear. If that doesn't work, change the subject.

So it's the income taxes that you have a problem with. Seems like you need to go to the legislature rather than pick on little old ladies and little old men at town meetings.

You continue to make derogatory comments toward people/belittle people just because they don't agree with you. Call it xenophobic if you like; native Mainers like/love Maine and they don't need you to "fix" it. Did you have plans to try to change Maine before you moved or did they occur after you made the move? Why do you stay in Maine? You are a stereotypical example of someone from away that native Mainers wish would have stayed away. If you exude this arrogant, condescending attitude when attending a town meeting, it's no wonder Maine natives want nothing to do with you. Thankfully, all people from away do not have your arrogant, condescending attitude.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-31-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,027,621 times
Quote:
Well now, if YOU haven't found it, it must not exist. You seem to think you have ALL the answers and ALL the solutions to ALL things that you perceive as problems; if you say it or think it or type it, it MUST be true because you know it ALL. You've made that quite clear. If that doesn't work, change the subject.

So it's the income taxes that you have a problem with. Seems like you need to go to the legislature rather than pick on little old ladies and little old men at town meetings.

You continue to make derogatory comments toward people/belittle people just because they don't agree with you. Call it xenophobic if you like; native Mainers like/love Maine and they don't need you to "fix" it. Did you have plans to try to change Maine before you moved or did they occur after you made the move? Why do you stay in Maine? You are a stereotypical example of someone from away that native Mainers wish would have stayed away. If you exude this arrogant, condescending attitude when attending a town meeting, it's no wonder Maine natives want nothing to do with you. Thankfully, all people from away do not have your arrogant, condescending attitude.
Poisoning the well and many questions with some red herring thrown in.

There seems to be a pattern.

See:

Quote:
Pot, meet kettle.

You're grasping at straws and attempting to make something mean something it clearly does not.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:15 PM

631 posts, read 750,096 times
Quote:
Poisoning the well and many questions with some red herring thrown in.

There seems to be a pattern.

The best talent comes from within Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine