Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM

24,560 posts, read 17,315,057 times

Advertisements

For a visiting tourist in the month of May what are the must see and do things in Bar Harbor Maine?

Museums, Nature, Eats, Arcadia park? A balloon ride?

Ideas anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 PM

23,602 posts, read 17,287,157 times
Schooner head, Geddys, College of the Atlantic museum, whale watch boat trip, several breweries, put in a job application at Jackson labs, trenton lobster pound on the way in/out picnic at Thompson island

bathroom at police station open 24/7

Old 05-04-2015, 06:14 PM

147 posts, read 215,909 times
I second the suggestions above. Although if you don't want to apply at the Jackson Lab you could take an informative tour and learn about the research happening in this little town in Maine.
Also check out the Abbe Museum for a glimpse into the culture of the Native Americans that lived here before settlers came.
Hike the many trails or take a relaxing walk on the carriage roads in Acadia National Park.
Venture to Ellsworth just a short drive from the island and enjoy some yummy food at Finns Irish Pub or Mainley Meat BBQ and maybe take in a live show or film at the Grand Theater.
In Bar Harbor check out the awesome art deco theater, the Criterion, and see a movie or if you like beer and pizza while seeing a movie go to Reel Pizza and have it all.
So many fun things to do and see in such a small place and do not forget to explore the quieter side of the island too, Southwest Harbor is lovely.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,498,137 times
Acadia National Park: Park Loop Rd, walk Ocean Path, dip your toes in Sand Beach, walk Shore Path, listen Thunder Hole. Jordan Pond--not sure if Jordan Pond House is open yet in May. If it is check out tea and popovers on the lawn. Cadillac Mountain--either at sunrise or sunset.

Asticou azalea gardens between Seal Harbor and Northeast Harbor should be coming into bloom in May. Minimal donation requested.

Don't miss the Quietside of Mount Desert Island! Parts of Acadia National Park are over there too. Seawall, Bass Harbor Light.

Try to go on a whale watch if you have time. Bar Harbor has a number of them available.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:59 AM

3,692 posts, read 7,447,023 times
Blueberry pancakes at Jordan's.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:39 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,305,400 times
Loving these suggestions !
We have not been yet to Bar Harbor since our move up here, and so looking forward to the trips.

Any suggestions also to any 'dog friendly' areas? Would a leashed dog be able to also come to the tourist areas?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 AM

24,560 posts, read 17,315,057 times
Is Cadillac mountain the one to be on to first see the sunrise on America?

I heard there is an island which we could walk to at low tide is this advisable as long as we keep an eye on that tide and don't get stuck?

I imagine the water is still pretty cold up there but would it make sense to lug the kayaks up?

Old 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM

973 posts, read 2,386,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Is Cadillac mountain the one to be on to first see the sunrise on America?

I heard there is an island which we could walk to at low tide is this advisable as long as we keep an eye on that tide and don't get stuck?

I imagine the water is still pretty cold up there but would it make sense to lug the kayaks up?
Cadillac share the honor of first light with Mars Hill depending on the time of year. From March 25 to Sept 18, first light shines on the top of Mars Hill Mountain. Cadillac lays claim to first light the rest of the year. Mars Hill wins during the summer time period because the sun rises further in the North.

The island you are probably thinking about walking to is East Quoddy near Lubec. East Quoddy is actually in Canada and you can walk from Campobello Island to the light house on East Quoddy during low tide. During high tide there is 20 ft of water where you can walk during low tide. People do go to East Quoddy to wait out a high tide cycle, but doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

The water will be 60 degrees in Summer, probably in the low 40's right now, but neither would be good if you dumped a kayak. It all depends on air temp when it's fun kayaking along the coast.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,142,884 times
I'd like to tell you that visiting me should be on your must see---must do list. But unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, its not.

Lots of people feel it necessary to visit the Stone Barn( which is very close to me), since its on the Historic places in Maine, and is also the largest tract of undivided land left on the island. Lots of people(like David Rockefeller) own more, but not all connected together.

Bar Harbor is mostly a tourist town. One time I met some people on the ferry out to Baker Island when didn't even know that there were more towns on MDI than Bar Harbor. Get a paper when you come and find out all the stuff that is going on: the MDIslander is the only one.

Lots of people go on whale watches, take ferries to Baker Island or out to Islesford on the Cranberries. If you go out on the Mail boat call ahead for a reservation since without one you won't eat, and order everything you want at one time or you will cut it really close to missing the boat back.

I don't eat at restaurants that aren't open in January, so I prefer the Side Street Cafe and Geddy's. But people tell me you should eat at Havana's(President Obama ate there). If Dawn at House Wine is having a wine tasting on the Friday you are here, don't miss it. Galyn's is almost next to Geddy's and is only gone for 3 months, so I do eat there.

Walking over to Bar Island at Low Tide is always fun. Pay attention to the tide table though, or you will get stranded. You can get over about 2 hours before low tide, and about two hours after, depending on lots of things.

Jordan Pond house used to be the best Restaurant in the world, but Acadia corporation lost the franchise after 70 years to some company that seemed to have greased a lot of palms in DC, and now they own it. Food is back to mediocre. It took then most of last summer to learn to make the famous Jordan Pond Popovers; the first ones were awful. Acadia Corp has taken over management of the Asticou Hotel on Rt3, just north of Northeast Harbor. I'm betting that the food their will be spectacular.

There is a wonderful picnic spot in the park off of Pretty Marsh Road. Turn right at the Firehouse at the south end of Someville. Its part of the park, and it opens out on beatuiful vistas of the Mt Desert Narrows. If you turn right on Indian Point road in Town Hill(coming from ellsworth)very shortly you will come to another very very beautiful walk in the Blagden Preserve. Hardly one knows about it.

And stayin on that road and heading south, You will eventually come to the(on Tremont Road or 102, just a little past Seal Cove Road, don't take Seal Cove from Southwest Harbor since they are repairing it until July) you will come to the Seal Cove Auto Museum. Autos from the birth of motoring to about 1930 are shown there. It is a world class auto museum, that now one should miss.

On the other side of Ellsworth on Rt 1 is the BIG CHICKEN BARN, a giant antique and used book store that everyone stops at. And don't make the mistake of taking Rt 95 to Bangor and south. The distance by taking Rt 3 and Rt 1 along the coast is only about 10 minutes longer, and infinitely more enjoyable. You will go across the Verona Suspension Bridge(actually the Penobscot Narrows Bridge) over the Penobscot River. You can even get tours of it. And you can tour the fort opposite Bucksport, just down from the bridge.

There is so much to do, and its not all just when you get here.

We've been know to kayak in mid May. There are so many little lakes that are fun(Echo Lake, Somesville Pond, Hamilton Pond, etc)

Since I've lived here for four years, you can PM me for more information if you want.

Last edited by slyfox2; 05-05-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 03:18 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,142,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Loving these suggestions !
We have not been yet to Bar Harbor since our move up here, and so looking forward to the trips.

Any suggestions also to any 'dog friendly' areas? Would a leashed dog be able to also come to the tourist areas?
Many stores put water out for dogs. The banks usually offer bones. The town is about as dog friendly as you can get. Jesup Library has dogs in it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine