Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:20 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times

Advertisements

Alaska= very remote, very cold, very expensive maine. One main (mistakenly typed Maine... Lol) diffrence is maine votes democrat more, and alaska republican almost always.

Now if i felt like freezing my ass off 24/7, with no job, an expensive cost of living, with the only plus being more hunting opportunities and being very remote, i would choose Alaska.

Frankly, being a diabetic in alaska sound almost suicidal, imagie extreme hypo/hyperglocemia and the nearest doctor is 3 hours away, that spells death. Now im maine that 3 hours can become 1 hour depending on location, its a pretty good mix of urban/rural, as you have urban amenities, with a fairly rural state (except portland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 05:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Alaska= very remote, very cold, very expensive maine. One main (mistakenly typed Maine... Lol) diffrence is maine votes democrat more, and alaska republican almost always.

Now if i felt like freezing my ass off 24/7, with no job, an expensive cost of living, with the only plus being more hunting opportunities and being very remote, i would choose Alaska.

Frankly, being a diabetic in alaska sound almost suicidal, imagie extreme hypo/hyperglocemia and the nearest doctor is 3 hours away, that spells death. Now im maine that 3 hours can become 1 hour depending on location, its a pretty good mix of urban/rural, as you have urban amenities, with a fairly rural state (except portland).
Uh you do know we have a Republican governor, State senator and local as well...
Another great reason we moved here and uh yes- voted here

Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Talking presidental elections, which maine has voted mostly democrat in more recent years.

Maine Presidential Election Voting History

Personally i dont care unless its to far to one side. But personally i lean alittle republican.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:55 PM

Regarding the cost of living, I tossed up willow to look at home costs, let me say a 300k+ home in ma, I can get for just over 100k in parts of northern maine, some areas have a 1-2 bedroom 1 bath home for a little under 70k.

Regarding the apartment, what I've found are some small apartments for 5-700, with home rentals going roughly 1200, now idk the cost of food ect up there, but atleast the housing is cheap

Old 05-09-2015, 08:04 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Alaska= very remote, very cold, very expensive maine.
I can see that.

The reason Alaska is compared to Maine is that in terms of US states, no other state resembles Alaska as closely.

Yes, Alaska is remoter, colder, and has a higher COL.

Quote:
... Now if i felt like freezing my ass off 24/7, with no job, an expensive cost of living, with the only plus being more hunting opportunities and being very remote, i would choose Alaska.
Maine has a good deal more summer than Alaska, and generally a much lower COL.

Quote:
... Frankly, being a diabetic in alaska sound almost suicidal, imagie extreme hypo/hyperglocemia and the nearest doctor is 3 hours away, that spells death. Now im maine that 3 hours can become 1 hour depending on location, its a pretty good mix of urban/rural, as you have urban amenities, with a fairly rural state (except portland).

Old 05-10-2015, 08:15 AM

I have to say, fort kent gets roughly the same winter temps as juneau, however in summer it does get warmer.

Data from usclimatedata

Old 05-10-2015, 10:54 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
I have to say, fort kent gets roughly the same winter temps as juneau, however in summer it does get warmer.

Data from usclimatedata
I always thought that Juneau was an interesting place. It's probably the only place in Alaska I could see myself living.
If people think they would like to live in Alaska, they should spend a year in Maine first.....it's like Alaska-lite. Then they would know if they could handle Alaska!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine