Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:17 PM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times

Advertisements

I am sure you get a lot of people waving a finger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:15 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,303,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am sure you get a lot of people waving a finger.
Like the Mighty "thumbs up'

Old 05-06-2015, 06:38 AM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
They might use a thumb

They might be using a different finger though.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,864,604 times
We get some finger waving at times, and sometimes we get waves and thumbs up, its just part of the job. Some people don't realize we can't put out salt at speeds over 25mph, 20 or less is better. So we end up with a quite a few cars behind us and we can't just pull over, its against policy, We pull over, you go by, slide into the ditch, sue the state cuz we put you into danger by letting you pass
Oh yea the states new policy on Mailboxes has gotten me a few one finger waves, basically anything placed in the right of way is there AT YOUR OWN RISK. we no longer fix or pay for mail boxes.
And here's another one, if the culvert at the end of your driveway is humped up and scraping off the bottom of your car, it's your problem, as long as the culvert is doing it's intended job whatever happens above it is the property owners responsibility.
The state just does not have the money, in fact the DOT has all but written off 50% of it's roads(only give them a 1/4 inch layer of asphalt every 7 years), So as to concentrate on the other 50%.
You don't even want to know about some of our bridges, we have one that is so bad our engineers wanted to restrict it to 15 tons, we had the signs made up, put in all the post but then the feds said no. So the new plan is to put stop signs on both sides and only allow 1 vehicle at a time on it, still fighting with the feds over that one, Safety first right to this day tractor-trailers and logging truck are still going over it.

bill

Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 AM

797 posts, read 1,753,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
I have a bit of an odd question that I've never given much thought to...
My fiance eats a ton of eggs. Like, at LEAST a dozen a day. We also consume other perishable items like heavy cream daily.
Fiance is a bodybuilder, so he has a pretty strict way of eating. He asked me what he would do in the Winter when we are likely to get snowed in. I had a few thoughts, but couldn't really give him a good answer.
Do we...
Wait for the roads to clear, and then get our eggs and cream?
Stock up and make sure we always have a month's worth of perishables and a generator to make sure it doesn't go bad?
Switch our diets and have powdered / shelf-stable versions of the above on hand?

What do you guys usually do, and what's the longest you've ever been snowed in and unable to hit up the store? I know it's going to vary by location and how rural the area is. I'm thinking back to my Missouri "farm in the country" days, and thinking we just need to have a second fridge and a chest freezer with extras of "the essentials" on hand at all times.

-T.
It isn't fresh but would he consider a protein powder to keep on hand for those snowy months?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 PM

348 posts, read 416,974 times
Always! We have protein powder on hand pretty much all the time.
I guess it might be a good idea to have dehydrated versions of various things on hand, then. >_>

-T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine