Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:24 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times

Advertisements

Our home was built in 1853 and well built ! They obviously knew how to stay warm back then.
Eventhough our first winter here, all records were blown in temp and snow fall- and still- the house was warm as we have two woodstoves. ( one in living room and one in the kitchen. )
Only issue we had was the plumbing being copper needed some upgrades.
The rest will be to make the home our own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 06:36 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
In my opinion, you are doing the right thing by renting FIRST. Wish I did when I first moved here as by renting one learns the more and less desirable areas/towns and therefore when purchasing can hone in on the most desirable area to live. Even if you are only renting for 6 months. We almost always rent first when relocating to a new area. However this move we did it backwards. This summer we will actually be going from owning to a rental.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:25 AM

341 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
In my opinion, you are doing the right thing by renting FIRST. Wish I did when I first moved here as by renting one learns the more and less desirable areas/towns and therefore when purchasing can hone in on the most desirable area to live. Even if you are only renting for 6 months. We almost always rent first when relocating to a new area. However this move we did it backwards. This summer we will actually be going from owning to a rental.
I thought rentals were so hard to find?? Also; cannot get rental without first having a job?? Cannot get job without having place to live....................I experienced this last summer....I started job in Portland but could not find "decent" place to rent......however, I was very very limited by only looking in the West side....NO CAR (big mistake) which limited me to finding a better rental market to go way beyond Portland West Side..............twenty twenty hind site......If I had stayed and bought inexpensive car (like that exists?)....broadened my search....would have had the experience career wise and learned much much about Maine.............AS WAS MY GOAL TO DECIDE ON THE RIGHT COMMUNITY TO PURCHASE HOME.

I say to myself, "Buyer Beware".....coming back there from So. Cal......puts me at a real disadvantage.....

Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Depends on where in Maine you are looking. I am in central Maine (Augusta-Waterville). There is a place I have applied to, already viewed the apartments interior, that is convenient to wife's college and my work. Some places if you do not have employment they will still rent if you pay 6 mo. - 1 yr. up front. Have to go on case by case basis. Rentals may be hard to find in the Portland Area, I have not looked there.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydinMaine View Post
Thanks for the tips. We look multiple times a day on craigslist, hotpads, zillow, and realtor.com. Not a big fan of craigslist due to scams, but we still keep an eye on it. The realtor that informed us that it was going to be almost impossible to find a rental, specialized in rentals and relocations.

I'll check out uncle henry's. I'm not familiar with it.

I've been in contact with several realtors for info on homes for sale, but I was hoping someone might suggest a good realtor to contact. A rental is preferred until we become familiar with the area, but at this point we are most likely going to have to purchase or we will not have a place to live.

I would like to know if a home built in the 1800s is something I should run from. Will the upkeep and maintenance nickle and dime our bank account? I don't want to end up with a money pit. There are some beautiful looking old homes and properties that look very nice, but at the end of the day I don't want to end up constantly dumping money into an old home or never being able to sell it if we want to upgrade in the future.

Another thing I have noticed is several homes have been on the market for 10, 11, 12 months or more. Some have been listed, removed and relisted multiple times over a one or two year period. One property I came across has been on and off the market since 2009. In my experience, if a home sits on the market for a long period of time, it is either overpriced or has major issues. Is this normal for homes in Maine?

Hallowell is another town on our list. Are there any towns better for non-chain restaurants and pubs/taverns? We love local owned places and having a watering hole nearby to hang out at from time to time is high on our list of priorities.
Hallowell has a tavern called the liberal cup, they brew some of their own

hallowell is a nice town, similar to farmingdale , you can be in-town, or out in the country

yes, some homes have been on the market a few years, but the banks are much more stringent than they use to be
also,,there was a glut of forclosures and short-sales for a few years, we are just getting out of those

now actually is a great time to buy (it always is -if you are a realtor)
but the interest rates are still low,,and its a buyers market,,, if homes have been on the market for a while,,,then the prices usually come down

10 years ago, many were into buying and selling houses (flipping them) fix em up and sell at a profit,,, - but also keep in mind,,,the stock market is at an all time high, and many are leaving there money where it is - they've made a lot of earnings (on paper) in the past few years,

Old 05-17-2015, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 753 times
Did you guys find something yet? Readfield is a beautiful area! it has a nice beach at Maranacook Lake. Which is also right where one of our local restaurants is. The "weathervane" is a local watering hole (downstairs). Good food, great family owned placed. I have a great house for sale with 15 ac and inground pool your dog will love it here! Not sure what your looking to spend. Ann @ Sprague and Curtis Real Estate in Augusta is a great resource/realtor. Good luck!! Maine can be a fun place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine