Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM

23 posts, read 110,717 times

Advertisements

This summer, my girlfriend and I are going to a wedding in Cape Cod. Since neither of us have been to Maine before, we were thinking about spending a few days there before the wedding. Our rough plan is to fly into Portland late Monday night, spend all day Tuesday in Portland, and then drive part way to Bar Harbor (possibly to Bangor?). Wednesday, spend the day in Bar Harbor, and then drive part of the way to Boston, spending the night somewhere between Bangor and Portland. Thursday, drive the rest of the way to Boston/Cape Cod, stopping at one of the costal beach towns for lunch or something.

Having said all that, I have a few questions:
Is going up to Bar Harbor worth the trip? While neither of us are super outdoorsy (in the sense that we wouldn't go canoeing or camping or something like that), everyone has said that it's pretty breathtaking. Having said that, it's not super close to Portland, so it adds significant driving time (we may fly into Bangor since its closer to Bar Harbor, but its MUCH more expensive). Is it worth the time to go to Bar Harbor? We could add at most one day to the trip, so there's not a whole lot of room for flexibility. Also, what kind of touristy things are there to do in Bar Harbor? If the weather ends up being crappy the day that we're there, are there options for things to do that are indoors?

What are some good things to do in Portland with only having a day or so worth of time? We're looking at hitting up one of the breweries there, but other than that, we don't really have a good idea as to what's there.

What's the hotel situation like? I'm fully aware that it's tourist season, and we'll book most of the hotels in advance. However, on the drive from Bar Harbor back to Boston, we may opt to not book a hotel in advance, as we'll want to see how we feel in terms of possibly driving further. If we do this, are we going to have trouble finding a hotel the day of?

What are some cool beach towns to stop by for a meal/afternoon on our way to Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,893,375 times
Hi
This has been covered numerous times (as you can imagine) on this forum. You may find info by searching the forum such as best places to eat in Maine, etc.

YES, BAR HARBOR IS WORTH THE TRIP. From Portland to Ellsworth via 95, 295, Maine Turnpike, 395 and Rt. 1A it will take 2.5 hours and at least another half hour to Bar Harbor depending on time of day and traffic. I have tested it more times than I can count or remember. I doubt one day in Bar Harbor, Mt. Desert Island, and Acadia National Park will suffice so if you can add an extra day, go for it. Restaurants? many and more in the summer. (and yes, US Rt. 1 is the picturesque, takes more time route along the coast and well worth it if you can spare some extra time)

If you are coming to Maine in August, you need to reserve a room if you plan to stay in Bar Harbor. I have known of people who came to Bar Harbor in August without reservations and ended up calling all over and driving back down the coast 2 to 3 hours to find a room. I guess it all depends how important it is to you to have a motel room to sleep in. It seems when it rains, most people visit the shops in Bar Harbor or head to the Walmart in Ellsworth. If there is a bad storm, Thunder Hole can get feisty. You could visit the Acadia National Park Center and watch a short video. Acadia National Park Visitor Center Hulls Cove

You could visit Fort Knox and Bucksport by taking a slight detour US Rt 1 20 miles south of Ellsworth either on the way to Bar Harbor or when leaving Fort Knox and Penobscot Narrows Observatory then take Rt 15 from Bucksport to Bangor.

Acadia National Park Insider Guide - Maine

Plan Your Visit - Acadia National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Bar Harbor 2015 Cruise Ship Schedule
http://www.barharbormaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/922

Lighthouse link Maine Lighthouse Map

If you like commercialized beaches, there is Old Orchard Welcome to Old Orchard Beach, ME

Visit Maine

You can pick up a copy of the Ellsworth American or Mount Desert Islander to see a list of events scheduled. There's another newspaper (free) Out and About in Downeast Maine. Stop at the Chamber of Commerce Info Center in Ellsworth or the info center on Thompson's Island on Rt. 3.

Have fun

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-15-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 06:11 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,939,481 times
Bar Harbor will be crazy crowded in August, Acadia is a must see, you can drive to the top of Cadillac mountain. Since you have never been to Maine, do not take I-95, drive US1 instead, you will pass through a lot of little coastal towns and the scenery is phenomenal. There are a lot of restaurants and kitschy shops in Bar Harbor, I took these pics a few years back.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM

almost forgot....you can vary the route and use interstate to Augusta, then take Rt. 3 to Belfast and combo US Rt. 1/State Rt. 3 to Ellsworth or vice versa

Old 04-16-2015, 08:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Your trip already has too frantic a schedule for a lightning run to Bar Harbor. It is eclectic as pictured above, but you won't have time to see anything. Maine is as big as the other five New England states combined. If you want to enjoy Maine, start with a week and you might just stay for the rest of your life.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 11,757 times
I think that Bar Harbor is a cute town, but I wouldn't describe it as breathtaking or an absolute must see in Maine on your first trip. I lived about a half hour away and would just go once or twice a year. However, the lobster out there is superior to southern maine. I think that you could enjoy a ride to the Midcoast from Portland, maybe Bath area. There's also ferries that travel from portland to islands in the bay like Peak's island, Chebague, Long Island, for a day trip or to stay over. I think some of them have abandoned forts or tunnels and stuff. Portland is very walkable city.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:51 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,935 times
If you can't make it to Bar Harbor, how about to Camden? It's a pretty little area.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 AM

404 posts, read 777,766 times
If you go about it as half the fun is getting there...instead of thinking you have to take in everything there is to offer you'll be happy.
Fly into Portland and spend the day and night here..book now!. Get going early in the morning and head up to bar harbor..2 to 3 hours as mentioned before. Stay overnight in Bar-harbor...book now!! Drive around Arcadia - see bar harbor int he late afternoon ( don't miss the shore path) eat dinner in harbor, stay the night and be on your way.. 5 or 6 hr drive to Boston. To me that's no big deal to others it might be too much.

Plenty to do in Portland...it will be obvious or try looking through some older threads.
Also if you feel bar harbor is just to much to squeeze in Spend your time in Portland - go out to the Portland headlight in Cape Elizabeth then head to The Camden, Rockland area to stay the next night. Go out and see owl's head.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:31 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,403 times
Acadia National Park is one of the most visited in the country, and it is with good reason. If you can squeeze it in, I would advise seeing it. Bar Harbor is VERY busy in August, and most lodging very expensive. The town itself is more or less a high end tourist trap, with lots of souvenir type shops. The town has kept "fast food" out of it, so be prepared for expensive meals. Epi's on Cottage street isn't too expensive. I think the advice given earlier, to visit the area for a day and a night is good.

The wonderful part about Mt Desert Island isn't Bar Harbor, but the scenery. You might want to try one of the sightseeing tours that are available at the town dock. Much of the island isn't open to the public and can only be seen from the water. Also, if you've ever wanted to go whale-watching, those trips are also available at the town dock also. Even in August, if you are going out on the water, dress for much cooler temperatures.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:25 PM

A typical first visit IMO would include a drive on the Park Loop Road in Acadia National Park, stop at Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and a drive up Cadillac Mountain, park and walk around the summit path...possibly stop at the Jordan Pond House for a meal and maybe a hike around the pond. There are other places to stop, but you won't have time.

If you want to visit shops in Bar Harbor, do it in the evening hours. Why waste some great weather in a store?! There is a shore path out past the Bar Harbor Inn where the schooner is docked (can take a ride on it also for a fee). I could sit in Agamont Park and watch the boats, dogs and people for hours sometimes taking a walk on the Shore Path, maybe getting an ice cream on the pier. Bar Harbor Shore Path - Acadia Maine

We used to traditionally eat breakfast at Jordan's Restaurant on the 4th of July, but after we paid nearly $30 for three orders of blueberry pancakes, I decided to make them myself. West Street Cafe is fairly reasonable and good food IMO. They have early bird specials. http://weststreetcafe.com/earlybird-specials/

I haven't heard anything positive about the food (friends report too expensive and quality not that great) at the new place (Paddy's Irish Pub) built where the Quarterdeck used to be....If you only have a day or two in Bar Harbor and you like seafood, eat seafood! Geddy's has been around for a long time. IMO the food is good; I like the blueberry pie better at West Street Cafe because Geddy's version has a crumbly crust that reminds me of apple crisp--just a personal preference. Meet Me at Geddy’s :: Bar Harbor, Maine The best lobster I've ever had was from Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound in Trenton. You can eat there, but I bought it and cooked it at home. http://www.trentonbridgelobster.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine