Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM

631 posts, read 749,216 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to drop by and say some great things about Maine vs. California.

Everything is cheaper in Maine, not just in terms of sales tax, but food is cheaper. Alcohol, movie tickets, gas, permits, houses, driving time distance and several other things are just plain cheaper.

City/public water is significantly superior in taste.

Dunkin Donuts coffee > Starbucks coffee

Snow quality is very nice, that BS people said about the texture being overly hard is ridiculous.

The University of Maine presentation, staff, students, and overall organization of buildings and college events are very friendly and just plain fun. Stanford and UCLA are not nearly as exciting or adventurous, and are ridiculously expensive. The cafeteria food swept the floor on California food quality and exceeded my expectations.

I have never met anyone in Maine that wasn't friendly so far, people who said otherwise must be some sort of amazing oddity. Even the oldtimers were friendly!

There is no "Culture Shock" that people from California talk about, Mainers are REAL and I don't feel like I'm talking to some plastic mask with a middle finger hidden behind a text messaging app.

Shop variety; there is ALWAYS another new shop. There are chain stores sure, but I LOVE the uniqueness of many different shops.

Hannafords > Safeway, Savemart, Raleys, etc. Just my opinion, there is SOMETHING NEW IN EACH ONE.

Bangor > San Francisco. A bit of a stretch for some of you perhaps, but I love the Penobscot River view and Seadog's Brewery. There's many other things to say such as.. PARKING yes. A lovely feeling of suburban blend with cool shops.

State access: Vermont and New Hampshire then of course Canada! Okay sure in California you can reach Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona if you drive for 6-12 hours, but the New England atmosphere can't possibly be beat by desert. If I really miss the desert, I'll just visit the desert in Maine

Jobs, jobs, JOBS. Everywhere I look there is someone hiring. Look, the pay might be slightly less, but a job is a job. In California you fight to death for the privilege to MAYBE sweep a floor or clean windshields, here you at least have room to put your foot in the door.

The search for houses here, we have been through many. The first house was a disappointment, but as we continue to look we just keep finding better houses, and honestly I have never seen such unique design between houses, back home all the houses look the same, but these are always another adventure.

All in all, not only was mom impressed she was floored by how amazing Maine is and what it has to offer. The worst part about this trip is going back to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Welcome to Maine

Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I am a Californian, and while I no longer live in Maine, it wasn't that long ago since I moved out. Here are my thoughts:

Sales tax is cheaper, yes, but you will hear Mainer's talk about how they are the most taxed people in the Country. For what it is worth, people say that in every State, but one thing is for sure; Californian's are taxed a heckoflot more than Mainers. At least in California they try to put the taxes to their intended uses.

Alcohol is not cheaper in Maine. If anything, they are the same price... ...stuff that is brewed in Maine is the same price as they are in California even after you factor in all of the taxes it took to get it there.

Food is also cheaper in California, period. You know you can get a burrito the size of your head for $5. A burrito a quarter the size will cost twice as much in Maine. And you live in the Central Valley...farmland that produces easily 50% of the entire Country's agriculture. Those avocados that you can get 10 for $2, or the five pounds of pistachios or asparagus for $1, yeah, well, not no more. The flipside is lobster is $3/lb in Maine.

Housing is cheaper in Maine, that is for sure. Homes are better built, you cannot deny that either. I'll take a nearly 200 year old Maine home over a 5 year old "new construction" Californian home any day.

You'll never have to worry about a water shortage, energy crisis, or regulating your lawn to 5 minutes of water per week in Maine. The air, water, and environment in Maine is nearly pristine next to polluted-as-heck California. Oddly, some people on this forum, and in Maine in general, would love to change that, though.

Personally, I would take UMaine over UC Merced and most likely UCLA (I'm Nor Cal all the way, can't stand SoCal), in particular because of Black Bears hockey, but you'd be loony toons to select Maine over Stanford. UCLA and Stanford also kinda don't have to put much effort into the advertising, students are going to apply in large numbers anyways. UMaine needs to do what it can to attract students.

Mainers are definitely friendly... ...but you will always be an outsider. The fact that the two Californians (Submariner and I) are the first to respond should be a clue. When you actually move to Maine, people look at you funny. They'll be nice to you, sure, but they'll also half expect you to be gone by the end of the year because you can't hack it. You'll gain some respect when you prove them wrong and stay, but I don't think they ever stop looking at you funny.... ...espeicially whenever you ask why you cannot get a decent burrito anywhere...

Oh, there is definitely culture shock. It won't take you long to realize you are not in Kansas anymore (and I lived in Kansas, too). There is a huge difference between visiting Maine and living in Maine. You have to want it; otherwise the realities of living in Maine will hit hard, even if you are coming from Modesto.

Hannaford's is cool, and on par with Raley's. Shaw's, oddly enough, is way too expensive in my opinion (and owned by Albertson's, iirc).

You'll rethink your stance on Bangor > SF once the novelty wears off, even if you are from Modesto.

Modesto is in a valley and surrounded by hundreds of miles of farmland with the ocean and real mountains close by. The desert is what, a 5-6 drive from Modesto? Keep in mind that outside of Boston, Portland with a population of ~65K is considered effin' huge by Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont standards. Also, Portland, ME. to Eastport, ME. is like a 6 hour drive; Maine is pretty big.

Jobs? Really? Well, considering the time of the year, people are gearing up for tourist season. Have fun selling lobster-themed nik-naks for minimum wage.

And for the record, I loved Maine (moved out for reasons other than not wanting to live there...). I also lived in Kansas and Minnesota prior to moving to Maine, so I had a buffer zone prior to taking up shop.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:52 PM

631 posts, read 749,216 times
Californian taxes are "pissed away" on pointless endeavors like desalination and high speed rails. If you REALLY think desalination will work, you haven't looked at the hydropower loss coupled with natural gas swap over. Largest plant in US, which won't be available until November is only going to give 7% of the water needed for ONE city.

Alcohol is cheaper, maybe something has changed or every place is expensive whenever I coincidentally enter the building in Bevmo, Raleys, and Savemart.

I find it humorous you immediately jump to mexican food. Miguel's is cheaper than Chevy's in California. Avocado is going to be moved to another state like Florida most likely, San Diego can't support crops anymore and mysteriously San Diego members continue to move to New Hampshire.

We might always be outsiders, but we can assimilate pretty well and are more than willing. We have had a lovely time with the locals who don't seem to mind. Why on earth is Mexican food worshipped? Anyone can make that, whereas you can't just wish seafood supply into existence.

Okay perhaps the novelty of Maine is present, but there is no way you can tell me that you enjoy dense heavy traffic, smog, overpopulated cities, and a lack of english. If this is culture shock, then KIND people must be a luxury.

Have you been to SF regularly? Sure there are 4 tollbooths on the way to Bangor but it is $5 just to get IN San Francisco. The traffic to get over the bridge is nearly 30-60min, another $6-7 in fuel, already blown the tollbooth cost in less than 2 hours for HALF of visiting Maine. Can you watch icebergs break off and float down the gulf of SF? Can you even get close to the water without standing on top of a homeless man? Have you EVER seen a 4 HR parking sign or a FIRST HOUR FREE parking garage in SF? I have yet to see a parking meter in Bangor and a restaurant doesn't have to be a hole in the wall to pay below $50. You are jampack sardined into an overpriced joint in SF just to get a sub-par clam chowder.

The farmlands are going extinct in CA and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. The marketing scam of saying CA is the only place that can grow most crops is abundant however, Maine as well as well over many other water abundant states can grow 90% of the crops grown in CA and 100% of the farm animals. CA is outdated, case and point.

Do you think we came all the way across the US for a gigantic urban wasteland? Portland, Portsmouth, Burlington, Brattleboro, Bangor, Concord, Manchester, and Montepelier are perfectly sized.

What kind of jobs did you look for? Hardware, hobby, amusement, restaurants, banks, specialty, and chain stores are ALL hiring. You can't tell me the local Lowes is selling scallops with each additional Husqavarna push mower for the summer months.

Reasons or not, CA is not a stable place to be and it is time to go.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
I think assimilation is key. Those who talk about how much better things are in ______ (Fill in any place outside of Maine.) are not going to be accepted by the natives.

Several years ago a friend was visiting from another state. We were in a shop talking to the owner when all of a sudden my "friend" decided to tell the woman how much better things were in the other state. (How dare she say such a thing!) Needless to say I was shocked and embarrassed. She hasn't visited since.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
wow!! what a great thread!!
thank you for taking the time to write this,,,

Maine has a lot to offer, if you see it, recognize it, live it.

its good to get a fresh perspective .. although its funny, some of the biggest critics in maine live here,,

4-5 yrs ago, the company I worked for closed down, I worked there for 17 years, and guess what?? I found a better job within a week,,, according to many on this forum, I should have packed up and left the state, because there isn't one good job available in maine .

many times,,,someone will say there's no this job, no that job available in maine,,,without even looking,, check online sights and many jobs are available,,i guess its easier to complain

maine is no utopia, we natives get very tired from the long winters,,,, but again we love this time of year too...spring!!

thanks again for posting, when you didnt have to

Old 04-14-2015, 05:53 AM

93 posts, read 179,685 times
Welcome Home!

Old 04-14-2015, 06:03 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
Welcome to Maine!!
We moved here in August, and have Loved it ! It is a bit of a culture shock and can relate- but in such a positive way that its amazing how much you realize was missing in your life until arriving in Maine

I took my dogs for a walk yesterday- our trek to the lake like we did in the summer time on first arrival etc. We were 'beeped at"- waved at like " There you Are! We missed you!" with people stopping their cars to pet the dogs etc. It was like a warm welcome- the announcement of Spring life to normal announcement LOL

Welcome HOME !

Old 04-14-2015, 07:32 AM

266 posts, read 285,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I find it humorous you immediately jump to mexican food. Miguel's is cheaper than Chevy's in California.
Did you seriously bring up Chevy's as your go-to example of Mexican food in California. No wonder you say things like
Quote:
Why on earth is Mexican food worshipped? Anyone can make that

Quote:
Okay perhaps the novelty of Maine is present, but there is no way you can tell me that you enjoy ... a lack of english.
And the truth comes out.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 AM

266 posts, read 285,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
a restaurant doesn't have to be a hole in the wall to pay below $50. You are jampack sardined into an overpriced joint in SF just to get a sub-par clam chowder.
Also this does not at all match my experience of San Francisco dining (I worked for a year in the Financial District). Good affordable restaurants were thick on the ground, were you always going to tourist traps or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine