Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM

48 posts, read 101,693 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic that in about a week I'll begin my trek to Maine. My buyer for my home in Arizona finally got his loan approved and I should have my funds on Tuesday. The following Monday I hope to say goodbye to Arizona forever (or at least for a couple years, coming back for a visit).

So anyhow I have a couple more questions about the area I'll be moving too shortly. Are there any meat market/butcher shops in Belfast, Searsport, Rockland, etc. area? Where do Mainers buy their fish and seafood? I know the Hannaford's in Belfast has a pretty nice display, but are there fresher, cheaper outlets than the local supermarket?

Thanks. Can't wait to get there!

Stephen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 04:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Stephan, sorry I can't anser your questions but, congratulations on the sale and have a safe move.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Stephen congratulations!! I can't help you with the answers either though, sorry! I do know though that if someone here doesn't chime in to help you when you get there you can ask around. We love the Belfast area, and people are down to earth and easy going

Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Awesome news that your move is on!!!
Congrats on the sale of your AZ home.
I know that Belfast has a co-op- unsure if it offers meat or seafood.
Make sure you try out a great vegetarian restaurant/farmers market in downtown Belfast- Chase's Daily.
Looking forward to reports of your trip

Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Belfast Co-op"Maine's Oldest and Largest Co-op"

They seem to have a good variety as well as prepared foods.

Congrats on the sale!!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strichmo View Post
Well, I'm cautiously optimistic that in about a week I'll begin my trek to Maine. My buyer for my home in Arizona finally got his loan approved and I should have my funds on Tuesday. The following Monday I hope to say goodbye to Arizona forever (or at least for a couple years, coming back for a visit).

So anyhow I have a couple more questions about the area I'll be moving too shortly. Are there any meat market/butcher shops in Belfast, Searsport, Rockland, etc. area? Where do Mainers buy their fish and seafood? I know the Hannaford's in Belfast has a pretty nice display, but are there fresher, cheaper outlets than the local supermarket?

Thanks. Can't wait to get there!

Stephen
there are two upscale markets in camden, one is called french&braun,,right on mainstreet , and one is called megunticook market, west of mainstreet about a mile,, both have an excellent reputation for high quality products!!
i also like a store in thomaston,(a few miles south of rockland) called thomastom grocery, a nice market with great personal service, and again, high quality of products (located right on mainstreet in thomaston)
just outside of belfast is a town called swanville,,there is a swanlake market
that has good prices, and high quality products...

a few miles southwest of rockland is a traditional butcher shop called curtis custom meats. fulton curtis is the owner, and does everything from processing the critters, has a full-service display case, makes his own sausage..
just south of belfast on rte one, is a place called youngs seafood,,,they have a retail shop, and also a wholesaler, delivering to other stores. you can get just about any seafood you like there..

in camden, there's a ducktrap smoked salmon company that sells much smoked salmon to supermarkets and other high end markets,,

Old 01-13-2008, 09:10 AM

48 posts, read 101,693 times
Thumbs up Thank you ...

for the information and all your good wishes. I'll definitely keep you all posted as things continue to progress.

I continue to be amazed at how gracious and welcoming you folks have been, to say nothing of informative. Coming here has been a real boost for me, particularly during the darker moments of getting the AZ place sold.

Thank you again. I'll be in touch.

Stephen

Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 AM

263 posts, read 616,246 times
Young's Shellfish
3 Airport Rd
Belfast
They have a web site too.

They closes butcher is located in Warren. "Curtis Custom Meats"
Warren is close to Rockland.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 PM

12 posts, read 29,484 times
There is a butcher in Waterville Maine. Excellent Prices btw.
Josephs Market. Plus in Searsport they offer excellent meat packages at the local market Toziers.
Wymans in Stockton Springs is a seafood market. Stay clear of Hannafords,the Market basket and French & Braun if you are wanting to save money. And often you will see Fish Trucks selling all kinds of seafood on the side of the road. Shrimp meat right now is as low as $3.50 a pound! Best bet for lobster is right off the docks from the lobstermen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine