Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer2;
... You should definitely consult a tax advisor before bringing or doing any business in this state.
I would think it is wise to get advise in any state before you start up a new business.

Quote:
... then be enticed by a huge mansion that could have a 9k annual prop. tax connected w/ it.
In our area a home with a $9k annual tax bill would indeed be a massive mansion. Likely it would have a heliport too.

Quote:
... A smaller, newer, energy efficient home w/ beautiful views is most practical. Land tax IS low !!
I think that energy efficient homes are a smart idea anywhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM

134 posts, read 515,127 times
Forest... reading through yet another but always insightful discussion about Maine taxes, I had to chuckle as this retired Air Force enlisted member is moving just outside of Bangor in July and ....... yes I am bringing my Volvo XC90 with. Hope I don't screw up the Volvo line.... LOL.

As I have stated before in this forum. Each and every state is going to need income to provide their services. This income comes from all sorts of different places and they will get it somehow. We have friends (also retired enlisted Air Force) that moved to Houston last year and bragged constantly about the lack of Texas state income tax...... until they got their property tax bill this year. Now they don't brag as our property tax and expected state income tax work out amazing close.

States are going to get their cash from somewhere... maybe not by taxing one thing but they will have to tax higher on something else.

Forest you better be sure to wave back at me when you see me drive by you in my Volvo in July. ;-)

Old 04-26-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
... Forest you better be sure to wave back at me when you see me drive by you in my Volvo in July. ;-)
So long as you dont mind waving at a saab.

See you at the VFW for a brew!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Quote:
Forest... reading through yet another but always insightful discussion about Maine taxes, I had to chuckle as this retired Air Force enlisted member is moving just outside of Bangor in July and ....... yes I am bringing my Volvo XC90 with. Hope I don't screw up the Volvo line.... LOL.

Forest you better be sure to wave back at me when you see me drive by you in my Volvo in July. ;-)
When i was stationed in UK we werre told we couldn't go home "a good Yank" unless we had a Volvo (complete with tour of plant and then pick up car) or a Belgian wall unit. Ex decided on teh wall unit. Glad to see some things don't change. Welcome back home.

States are going to get taxes from somewhere. required services need money and that is the only way short of a state bakesale that they can get them. All in all ours are no worse than other states; sometimes better.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 04-27-2009 at 05:06 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,618 times
Quote:

As I have stated before in this forum. Each and every state is going to need income to provide their services. This income comes from all sorts of different places and they will get it somehow. We have friends (also retired enlisted Air Force) that moved to Houston last year and bragged constantly about the lack of Texas state income tax...... until they got their property tax bill this year. Now they don't brag as our property tax and expected state income tax work out amazing close.

States are going to get their cash from somewhere... maybe not by taxing one thing but they will have to tax higher on something else.

This makes a lot of sense!!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
When i was stationed in UK we werre told we couldn't go home "a good Yank" unless we had a Volvo (complete with tour of plant and then pick up car) or a Belgian wall unit. Ex decided on teh wall unit. Glad to see some things don't change. Welcome back home.
I saw that too, while stationed in Scotland.

Quote:
... States are going to get taxes from somewhere. required services need money and that is the only way short of a state bakesale that they can get them. All in all ours are no worse than other states; sometimes better.
Such has also been our observation.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM

86 posts, read 239,083 times
I had a room mate years ago that was in school and one of his classes was on finances.
The teacher started talking about the different taxes in different states.
He asked random student where they wanted to live based on taxes and why.
At the end of the class he showed that everyone in the US pays almost the same amount of taxes.
He explained that where one state they charge more taxes another state would not but tax more in a different area.
My room mate said it was very interesting and gave him a very different look on taxes as a whole.

This was back in I think about the late 80's.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
[quote=Raffie;8537671]I had a room mate years ago that was in school and one of his classes was on finances.
The teacher started talking about the different taxes in different states.
He asked random student where they wanted to live based on taxes and why.
At the end of the class he showed that everyone in the US pays almost the same amount of taxes.
quote]

I think that's true. IMHO, it's one of the reasons I think that a lot of people were upset with the school consolidation situation. Many felt it was cost-shifting instead of real savings.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM

134 posts, read 515,127 times
Forest... nope don't mind waving to you in your Saab and I will be sure to buy you a brew at the VFW.... will even pay the tax on it LOL. ;-)

Old 04-27-2009, 02:38 PM

64 posts, read 141,676 times
Researching a possible move to Bangor.....having lived in Florida, Virginia and now Oklahoma.......it is all relative! One state charges more on this, the other less but more on that..and so on........
The one thing that has stood out in my research about Maine is that the state shows where the money is going....unlike here in Oklahoma, where we pay 1.4% property tax and 9 1/2% sales tax, no car tax....and they're 49th in the nation in the school system, the roads are terrible, every other local politician gets indicted for some kind of money misuse, all small towns are volunteer law enforcement and fire departments.......in Virginia we paid 1.3% property tax, 4 1/2% sales tax, I forget what car tax with inspection every year, and the schools (specifically in Fairfax) were wonderful...there were active communities that had expectations of their tax money and governments...which are held accountable.
Maine sounds expensive in some ways and very affordable in others...bottom line it sounds like the state takes care of itself and it shows!
Just my 2 cents in this after researching our move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine