Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,670,605 times

Advertisements

well I am one of those "macho" ones who will likely not use one, since I managed quite adequately even here in NC except on the summer nights when it stayed above 80/80... and I can not take the heat. LOL Actually I really do not like A/C... I prefer what I call "real" air.. open windows and a fans... and yes, if I sweat, I sweat. I figure you are supposed to, at least some in the summer!

But I know I am an oddball... and yes, it did get hot one day when I was in Bangor last September... felt like NC... But here it goes on and on for months... that gets tiring; I am pretty sure there is more variation, even in August, up there...

My friend, however, will likely use A/c (and we will be bringing the windows units we bought here) as he has health issues that pretty much require it. He'll pay his own electric bills though <g>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,136,741 times
We have a window unit here in Calais....BUT it's taken us 4 years to finally figure out why the upstairs gets so hot--the attic isn't vented at all! So, we'll fix that this spring, and see what difference it makes. I don't like anything over 75 personally--comes from growing up in Eastport! So I'm not the best judge of this....if the inside of the house hits 83, the AC goes on. For us we have one window unit in the living room, and that's it for the house. The downstairs in our split level stays cool all summer There have been times when at 8:30 at night, and the house feeling *still* oppressive, we pack a bag and head for the house in Eastport. I should point out though, the higher temps are not a regular thing--thank heavens!!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM

406 posts, read 1,657,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Coastal areas are much nicer in climate. The entire time I spent working down along the coast I never felt the need for A/C, but I do inland this far.
I had central ac on Cape Cod...lol. I like it cool! (mid life thing? )

It's much hotter in Readfield than on the Cape with no ocean breezes.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,456,725 times
I'm just guessing here, but after months every year of our lives spent in the mid to upper 90s, I doubt we'll run much a/c in Maine. I've noticed that the nights usually don't go over 60 or so. That's very cool to us, (that's actually our winter temps) so that kind of evening air screams sleeping with open windows to me! I don't see why open windows and ceiling fans won't be enough for us to get through the 12-20 days of the year that it will get up to 80 degrees.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM

528 posts, read 2,485,686 times
You can get a number of days when it is well above 80, a few when it is above 90, too. The problem is the humidity...it will be oppressive inside the house, and running fans will only blow warm, sticky air around. It may cool down outside at night into the 60's, yes - but inside the house will still be hot and sticky - that's when people appreciate air conditioning.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM

We do plan to live on the coast, so I'm hoping it will be much milder there than it is inland.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,670,605 times
Strikes me that's when the proper placement of fans -- as well as orientation and placement of windows, attic venting, etc. would make all the difference.

Growing up in Michigan, I remember my mom opening the door to the basement (the house windows were already open) and turning on a BIG fan pulling air out of the attic, as the sun set.

Worked for me then... plan a similar system when I get to Maine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
You can get a number of days when it is well above 80, a few when it is above 90, too. The problem is the humidity...it will be oppressive inside the house, and running fans will only blow warm, sticky air around. It may cool down outside at night into the 60's, yes - but inside the house will still be hot and sticky - that's when people appreciate air conditioning.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:18 PM

281 posts, read 1,056,662 times
i will never live with out central a/c...if it is over 75 I have a/c on in the car.....but i transplanted out of Maine too...I do not miss the 2/90 ac.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:40 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,119,039 times
I didn't use A/C even in Texas. I went to visit someone there not long ago in August. They thought I was just a little "touched", sitting by the pool, in the sun, at noon, drinking hot coffee in N. Houston (Formerly the town known as Langham Creek until Houston ate it up).

Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM

That's the way I see it. I'm sure we'll end up appreciating the 80 degree days when they come, few as they may be! I won't want to ruin it with a/c! Most of our first couple of years there, I expect to be freezing. We'll use those days to thaw out. Here, a high of 78-80 is a blessing for the most part of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine