Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

I apologize. What I wrote came out sounding insulting, I am sorry.

I meant 'support-network' in a social context.

When we moved here, we did not know anyone here. However we are used to moving.

I immediately looked around and found a few groups to join: American Legion, VFW, and Lodge. That gave me a social outlet right away. Over time, I drifted away from those as I found other groups that are better suited to my interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:53 AM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
Finding a job will be your biggest challenge.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:03 AM

341 posts, read 672,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberlette View Post
Happy New Year, everyone!
My name is Michelle; new to this forum. A 43-year old single mom looking for a better, less stressful life.
After living in central PA for my entire life, I have made the huge decision to start a new life/clean slate up in the beautiful state of Maine.
I have an 8-year old daughter who is just as excited as I am to make this grandiose change.
We have a very close family friend who has lived in Maine for 10 years, so we will know at least a couple people up there once we make the move.
What I am trying to arrange at the moment is...I am hopeful to connect with other single mothers (or married couples) that reside in Maine & establish friendships/support groups so we do not feel so alone in a brand new state we are completely unfamiliar with.
Making such a move is pretty daunting, scary to say the least. So, I am aiming for advice, tips, anything & everything to make the transition less fearful, lol
The Ellsworth area has been recommended to us for the relocation, therefore I am also looking for a job, place to live, school district information, etc...
Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks so much...great to be here!
e

Hello...

I love the things that you say...........I am older than you, in mid 50s.....also looking to move to Maine for better life (in my opinion).........but I did live in MA for many years so I feel quite comfortable in New England. I am in So. Cal with the nightmare (?) of selling home here.....as I wish to buy home in ME (only after much research).........................I have been a single mother (no picnic).....
Started a job at Maine Medical center in Portland last summer,,,,,but I could not leave kids who are in college here in Cali........
I am dying everyday that I stay in CA......it has also affected my job prospects. I faired much better in MA etc as far as career prospects.

Hope to chat more, I will finish reading you posts......as you sent me a PM.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:10 PM

587 posts, read 916,307 times
What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,568,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
I understand what you were looking for, is to open up and get to know other parents & single mom's remotely and get so opinions on a good location for you to focus on.
The problem is there are not many single mom's or parents on here and most of them are way too busy. Also understand there are lots of posts by people entertaining the move to maine idea....some are determined and do it, many others give up or we never hear from them again. I stay active, because it was this board and reading many of the old threads that helped me get a feel on the right area for me when I moved. However I had a strong job prospect and knew I would be in the Portland area and then did the research. I really wanted to be up near Bangor or Belfast but the jobs just weren't there.
I'm not implying your doing any thing wrong, on the contrary..I'm glad you reached out. However reality is unless you can stay with a friend for a while, your going to need to find the work 1st and the town to live in 2nd.
Your post didn't mention the type of work, so we can't help much on where to find that. If its retail or resturant, then you can focus on a wider area, but mostly tourist area's and then bigger towns. If its medical, then you'll need to stick to Portland, Waterville, Augusta or Bangor. IT, like me, its pretty much only Portland
Lastly I will tell you its very hard (but not impossible) to obtain the job from out of state. If you could stay with your friend in Steuben while looking...it might help.
Sorry for the long winded response, but sounds like it might be helpful for you to get more of a response. and understand why you weren't getting the types of responses you were looking for.
Lastly give us some more information, stay determined if you really want it and stay in touch!
I am in the Waterville area and I will tell you, there are no jobs! None. If she is looking medical, there's an Athena Health in Belfast. If it were me, I would relocate to the Portland area.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:20 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,568,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
e

Hello...

I love the things that you say...........I am older than you, in mid 50s.....also looking to move to Maine for better life (in my opinion).........but I did live in MA for many years so I feel quite comfortable in New England. I am in So. Cal with the nightmare (?) of selling home here.....as I wish to buy home in ME (only after much research).........................I have been a single mother (no picnic).....
Started a job at Maine Medical center in Portland last summer,,,,,but I could not leave kids who are in college here in Cali........
I am dying everyday that I stay in CA......it has also affected my job prospects. I faired much better in MA etc as far as career prospects.

Hope to chat more, I will finish reading you posts......as you sent me a PM.
Oh my goodness, I am in my 50's as well and if I were living in another state, Maine is not someplace I would want to move to at this age. It's hard living here in the winters the older you get. I've lived here my entire life. When I retire, I am heading south for the winters, then back to Maine for the summer.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times
I would suggest that you first settle in southern Maine, even if you have friends in Steuben. The further downeast you get, the fewer jobs there are. I admire you for deciding on a life change, but you will absolutely have to have a job, and the best job opportunities are in southern Maine. I retired to a town approximately 80 miles up the cost from Steuben. There just aren't a lot of jobs, and to be the head of a household, with a child, you will need a decent income.

That way you can test the waters, and decide if you want to go up the coast to downeast Maine you will already have an idea. I would not suggest that you simply move up here. You are not used to the sparseness of rental property, jobs, and a fairly high cost of living. I can't blame you for wanting to be here, but it is a hard life.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:43 PM

341 posts, read 672,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Oh my goodness, I am in my 50's as well and if I were living in another state, Maine is not someplace I would want to move to at this age. It's hard living here in the winters the older you get. I've lived here my entire life. When I retire, I am heading south for the winters, then back to Maine for the summer.

Thank you....I meant Southern Maine............due to a financial meltdown//// I cannot afford MA....around areas I formerly lived. But all of you are right,,,,do not fantasize about things...there are harsh realities to deal with......my saving grace is that I can compare it with the White Mountains of NH which I spent a lot of time.................and I like the cold (as long as I can afford the heating bills).

I just know I want out of here (Los Angeles),,,it is depressing me to no end................I cannot go to Oregon or WA as I have absolutely no experience there .....although they are very pretty and cold etc...less expensive??

Old 01-04-2015, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 10,008 times
Thanks, everyone.
I've narrowed it down Ellsworth & Portland.
I'm working on sending out resumés via How Maine Gets to Work | JobsInME.com as we speak.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 10,008 times
My friend that lives in Steuben is fortunate enough to be self-employed, so he has the opportunity to do all of his work online from home. This is also why he can live in such a remote area & be okay with it, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine