Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times

Advertisements

I raised Nubians when I was young and showed them in 4-H. I loved it! Well, I loved all but the hoof trimming and the 5am and 8pm milkings that I was responsible for. But I did love bottle feeding the babies. I had two babies born one of those years - twins! I named them Buffy and Buck Rogers. I was 11 years old and I have no idea who Buffy was, but Buck Rogers on the TV series was my heart throb!!

(Molly, he was the one with the muscular, hairy arms and chest!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We just butchered our pig in November, he was mostly like that.

He and I talked to each other, but Porky kept wanting to sleep in the goat shed and not in his shed, and then he kept digging into the chicken coop, pestering the chicken. Porky never ate any of the chickens but just being in their coop really upset the chickens.

So for the most part I had to keep Porky penned up.

Pigs are easily trained, Porky loved to be scratched.

He weighed 250 when we processed him.
Ours was Miss Piggle Wiggles. She was the hardest animal for me to send out for processing. Most of the time I butcher our own lamb and pig (and I've done many). The meat we sell is processed at an USDA inspected facility.
We were not going to raise any pigs this year (usually we raise 2 a year) due to the fact that we sold our house and are renting an apartment very close to our free leased field where we keep our flock of sheep.
Wouldn't you know that my oldest daughter (10 years old) would choose this year to toughen up and catch a hog in the pig scramble! Well Miss Piggle Wiggles got the VIP treatment and got to live in the sheep field in her own little house (incedently it too was built out of pallets, livestock panel and a tarp). She was free ranged (a first for us) with the sheep. She met us at the gate for treats every morning and afternoon. Loved to be scratched and patted. I couldn't however even consider slaughtering this pig myself as she was like the family pet. However, in order to keep a pig scramble pig you must sign an agreement to raise the animal properly for consumption and not for breeding. Most of the kids were PO'd at me right up until the first batch of sausage was sizzling on the stove.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:27 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Ours was Miss Piggle Wiggles. She was the hardest animal for me to send out for processing. Most of the time I butcher our own lamb and pig (and I've done many). The meat we sell is processed at an USDA inspected facility. We were not going to raise any pigs this year (usually we raise 2 a year) due to the fact that we sold our house and are renting an apartment very close to our free leased field where we keep our flock of sheep. Wouldn't you know that my oldest daughter (10 years old) would choose this year to toughen up and catch a hog in the pig scramble! Well Miss Piggle Wiggles got the VIP treatment and got to live in the sheep field in her own little house (incedently it too was built out of pallets, livestock panel and a tarp). She was free ranged (a first for us) with the sheep. She met us at the gate for treats every morning and afternoon. Loved to be scratched and patted. I couldn't however even consider slaughtering this pig myself as she was like the family pet. However, in order to keep a pig scramble pig you must sign an agreement to raise the animal properly for consumption and not for breeding. Most of the kids were PO'd at me right up until the first batch of sausage was sizzling on the stove.
Neat!

I did the butchering this time. It was a learning experience.

We had raised hogs before in Ct but had taken them to a butcher/meat processing facility.

Also just yesterday, we bought a meat saw [Hobart five foot tall band-saw with large stainless steel panels], and two deli slicers; via government surplus auction. We took the meat-saw [band-saw] and one deli slicer to the 'Vine and Branch' farm. They are setting up a meat processing facility in front of their farm. They currently sell beef and pork at the Orono Farmer's Market.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:15 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Is Vine and Branch going to process birds for other people? I'm not satisfied with the processing I had done in November. I'd the thrilled to find use someone so close who will take chickens, ducks and turkeys.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 AM

411 posts, read 898,714 times
Robin, where did you have yours processed? I'm always looking for recomendations on where to have things processed. Oh, do you by chance know of anyone who is USDA or State Certified to do rabbits? We need to find a closer source than the one in West Gardiner that we planned on using.

As far as goats go, Robin had some great advice previously Cape Codder. You need to be aware of all the things she has spoken of. Another thing to seriously research is hoof trimming. A website that is great for reading up on goats is Fias Co Farm- graphic and logo design, cheesemaking, dairy goats. And www.jackmauldin.com. Welcome To GoatWorld.Com has info also. Of course, none of these sites ALWAYS agrees w/each other on certain things, but for the most part they have great info. For instance, Molly at Fias Co Farm doesn't eat meat, or raise her animals for meat, nor will she sell them for meat. But Jack Mauldin and his wife as well as Gary Pzalbot do eat them, and sell them for meat. But the info is much the same... just as Jack Mauldin doesn't trim hooves, but here in Maine you would really need to. He lives in Texas I think, and has lots of natural rock, and lots of dry weather. They trim their own hooves. Here we don't have nearly enough rock, and it's too wet to support them doing it on their own. Some people still don't trim here in Maine, but their goat's feet will eventually get overgrown, and that can actually cause severe pain and lameness. Research, research, research is the best thing you can do. Get very familiar w/ goat health info, and medicines. Know how to give shots, become your own vet. Mostly we use our large animal vet to simply prescribe meds that are available only via RX. Other than that we do our own medicating, and vaccinating.

Robin, do you by chance have a pair of clippers for hooves lying around that you are selling? Or would be willing to sell? lol We need a new GOOD pair, as my last pair or two aren't cutting it completely. I'm thinking of switching over to a dremmel tool to do hooves, if I don't find a good pair of clippers/trimmers.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Robin, do you by chance have a pair of clippers for hooves lying around that you are selling? Or would be willing to sell? lol We need a new GOOD pair, as my last pair or two aren't cutting it completely. I'm thinking of switching over to a dremmel tool to do hooves, if I don't find a good pair of clippers/trimmers.
KAF you might want to check out King Auther Tools online. They have a wood carving tool called a Merlin that they sell with a couple of accessorries to make it a great hoof trimming tool. Its more money than hand trimmers but I love it as I can use it as a hoof trimmer or use it to hollow out burl bowls, spoons, etc.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Robin, where did you have yours processed? I'm always looking for recomendations on where to have things processed. Oh, do you by chance know of anyone who is USDA or State Certified to do rabbits? We need to find a closer source than the one in West Gardiner that we planned on using.
I wish I did. We used to truck rabbits all the way to Waldoboro when I raised meat rabbits. Other than the garden meat rabbits were my favorite part of farming. Two years of drought and a drying well put me out of business. When I started raising meat rabbits I got $1/pound live weight. That was 30% more than most other breeders out of Maine could get. When I got out years later the price was still $1/pound and feed had gone up 45%. If drought hadn't put me out of business money would have. I've raised thousands of rabbits and eaten one.

Quote:
just as Jack Mauldin doesn't trim hooves, but here in Maine you would really need to. He lives in Texas I think, and has lots of natural rock, and lots of dry weather. They trim their own hooves. Here we don't have nearly enough rock, and it's too wet to support them doing it on their own. Some people still don't trim here in Maine, but their goat's feet will eventually get overgrown, and that can actually cause severe pain and lameness.
A couple of granite boulders will do a lot of the trimming work for you by naturally wearing down hooves. Goats can't resist climbing - it's in their nature.

Quote:
I hated trimming because I could never find a really good set of clippers. We switched to bypass (avoid anvil) pruners and a small rasp.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
KAF you might want to check out King Auther Tools online. They have a wood carving tool called a Merlin that they sell with a couple of accessorries to make it a great hoof trimming tool. Its more money than hand trimmers but I love it as I can use it as a hoof trimmer or use it to hollow out burl bowls, spoons, etc.
You make burl bowls and utensils?? I'd love to buy a few things if you're interested in selling. We're avid (or rabid!) foodies and cook constantly. I need good wooden spoons that don't splinter. How about salad forks? If you've got things to sell you can DM me so that I don't hijack the thread.

Goats! I said goats so I could keep this on topic.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You make burl bowls and utensils?? I'd love to buy a few things if you're interested in selling. We're avid (or rabid!) foodies and cook constantly. I need good wooden spoons that don't splinter. How about salad forks? If you've got things to sell you can DM me so that I don't hijack the thread.

Goats! I said goats so I could keep this on topic.
lol, i heard you say goats!!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:55 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Is Vine and Branch going to process birds for other people? I'm not satisfied with the processing I had done in November. I'd the thrilled to find use someone so close who will take chickens, ducks and turkeys.
I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine