Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:48 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,567,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
Ill start of by listing the stereotypes ive heard, some i hope true, some false

- its high crime / drugs
- everyone owns a gun and hunts
- very rural
- in high poverty
- high unemployment
- young people are moving out
- people who stay are not the brightest of the bunch

Next, some questions about employment

-what industrys are common
-whats the chance of moving to maine and getting a job as either a fish/game warden (if t1diabetics are allowed) or a forester (the other job im looking to go to college for)

I dont mean to insult anyone, but am just trying to make a general life plan
I'm a Mainer. There is a drug problem here. NOT everyone hunts, I hate guns. Depends on where you live how rural you are! It's a 2 1/2 hr drive to Boston, one hour to Portland and we are fine with that. Unemployment is an issue for sure. I have 4 adult boys in their 20's, 30's...they and their friends have stayed in Maine. It's insulting to hear that people who stay are not the brightest of the bunch. My husband and I both are professionals, our children have all gone to college. There are a lot of bright wonderful people who live in Maine. As they say, "Maine, the way life should be."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I am very saddened to say that government jobs are not being cut left and right. Not in Maine, or anywhere else.
Not trying to hyjack this tread, but I work for the state and jobs have been cut quite a bit. The MDOT used to have 2400 employees, we are now down to 1900. And we are also by law required to keep 7% of our positions unfilled( I have no idea why ).
Trust me nobody works for the DOT for the money, the last estimate I saw was that our pay is somewhere between $3 and $7 below what we could get in the private sector, depending on what job you are doing.

Just for the record I,m a republican and voted for Lapage twice, and I'm not a union member although the they still charge me partial dues
I only point this out because some people think all state employees are high paid pro Union democrats.

Bill

Old 11-08-2014, 07:45 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,389,312 times
I know neither job is high paid, but im not trying to be mr. Superrich, and to tarragon, i am deeply sorry if i offended you

Old 11-08-2014, 03:48 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Not trying to hyjack this tread, but I work for the state and jobs have been cut quite a bit. The MDOT used to have 2400 employees, we are now down to 1900. And we are also by law required to keep 7% of our positions unfilled( I have no idea why ).
Trust me nobody works for the DOT for the money, the last estimate I saw was that our pay is somewhere between $3 and $7 below what we could get in the private sector, depending on what job you are doing.

Just for the record I,m a republican and voted for Lapage twice, and I'm not a union member although the they still charge me partial dues
I only point this out because some people think all state employees are high paid pro Union democrats.

Bill

I'm glad you have your head screwed on straight, Bill.
Just a few points: if I am not mistaken the MDOT has given up responsibilities for a fair amount of rural roads (giving them over the towns). This has happened in my town three times in recent years. So if total road miles maintained has dropped, employment should too.
As for pay, your benefits are likely far better than what private companies can offer. And I'm not sure what you are comparing MDOT to. In my area, MDOT pay is good for the type of work.
It's a crime that the union is taking that money out of your pocket by force. It should remain with you.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

Bill
Must be a Maine thing. When I worked for the state government, they did the same thing to me with those Union dues. I chose not to join, but they still took money from me. They did have a hiring freeze for awhile, but did not cut the jobs. However, most of the people who worked that job hadn't gotten a raise in 6 to 7 years...so no, government workers aren't rolling in the dough like some people think.

The Fed Gov job I held for awhile, (very part time work), paid quite nicely for the work, but there were a few times there that we didn't get to work what we had scheduled...no thanks to the government shutting down. Don't get me started.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times
To the OP, here's my 2 cents' worth. How dare you say some of the things you say about native Mainers leaving the state (and those who stay) and in the same breath you want to come to Maine and apply for and get a job that could go to someone who has grown up in Maine and wants a job and is fully qualified to continue to live in Maine?! Then because of a situation like that, the native Mainer either left the state or accepted another kind of employment in order to stay. Every time I see a thread like this (yours is not the first of its kind), I find myself irritated. I haven't been on this site for weeks and maybe I should have stayed off it longer.

Here's a map to check out comings and goings American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 11-08-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine