Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,495,116 times

Advertisements

I met Bud when we were in Eastport. I was very impressed with how all the people in the town were such good public servants. Here in Florida, they are public servants to get power, money, a huge retirement, and oops to sell their constituents down the river; the most important thing of all.

Bud, and a few others were a breath of fresh air. He was first in on the Happy Crab fire. The owners were lucky. So was the whole area around the Happy Crab.

I felt like I already had been adopted by the town in less than a week. A very special place, with very special people. I felt at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,121,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Call centers can be more than a start. I never finished my college degree (started a family earlier than planned). Though I initially took a pay cut to $12.50 an hour (no exp. starts at $10), I am now up to $14.57 in less than 2 years on the job. Tons of room for advancement etc.
Drama that's exactly the type of thing we need here. There used to be a call center here in Calais a few years ago, and I can't remember if it was moved to a different location within the state or closed completely. But there were opportunities for advancement like what you've experienced. Hopefully the center coming here to Calais will be able to provide that as well.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,530,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Drama that's exactly the type of thing we need here. There used to be a call center here in Calais a few years ago, and I can't remember if it was moved to a different location within the state or closed completely. But there were opportunities for advancement like what you've experienced. Hopefully the center coming here to Calais will be able to provide that as well.
As soon as college is finished and the eventual wedding, we could move right up.. shortening the time frame to about 5 and 1/2 years. For the record, in another thread, I think the Christmas one, I mentioned that someone got a promise ring for Christmas.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,121,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I met Bud when we were in Eastport. I was very impressed with how all the people in the town were such good public servants. Here in Florida, they are public servants to get power, money, a huge retirement, and oops to sell their constituents down the river; the most important thing of all.

Bud, and a few others were a breath of fresh air. He was first in on the Happy Crab fire. The owners were lucky. So was the whole area around the Happy Crab.

I felt like I already had been adopted by the town in less than a week. A very special place, with very special people. I felt at home.
I think a lot of Bud too He's actually part of the group we go to New Year's brunch with....when he talks about Eastport and his love for that little city his enthusiasm is contagious!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 AM

277 posts, read 892,852 times
Am I allowed to talk about my own company here or will it be considered advertising? I don't want to get banned...

Old 12-30-2007, 09:01 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,442,820 times
I've been wondering about job specifics. It would be nice if we could discuss them, since this is a job/networking thread. That would be "on topic" but would probably still be advertising. You may have to use the DM feature to send to specific people.

Maybe have anyone interested to DM you for details. Surely you could say the type of business you're in.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,977,970 times
When we get to Eastport, we will be formally retired but mensaguy is a licensed electrician and holds an A+ certificate in computers. He plans to hire himself out to local contractors to do residential electrical work. He's already talked to a couple of contractors in Maine who are not affiliated with a particular electrical outfit. Being a retired insurance agent who has already transferred my insurance to Maine, I plan on working with a couple of local insurance company's in Calais and Machias to just do insurance in Eastport as there is currently no insurance agent in the city.

It all has to do with creativity and early planning and resourcing.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 AM

454 posts, read 887,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
Am I allowed to talk about my own company here or will it be considered advertising? I don't want to get banned...
I could be wrong, but I don't see what harm it would do to describe your company and talk about any openings you may have....I just wouldn't mention the name of your company in the thread.
If anyone is interested in any information about your company, they can send you a direct message for more information.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,727,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
Maybe you can talk about what line work your company does, what positions are available, or what kind of people you are looking for......anyone interested can IM you.

Or if you just want to give kudo's to your company saying what it is and its a great place to work. That might be ok too.

I don't think were allowed to just advertise jobs

Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,442,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Maybe you can talk about what line work your company does, what positions are available, or what kind of people you are looking for......anyone interested can IM you.

Or if you just want to give kudo's to your company saying what it is and its a great place to work. That might be ok too.

I don't think were allowed to just advertise jobs
That's what I was thinking. Just omit the co name, and any interested people can request the info. That shouldn't be against the rules.

I'm just so happy to see this thread. Awesome idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine