Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 12:24 PM

565 posts, read 936,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Time to get out the roof rakes. El Nino is rapidly disintegrating in the pacific.

I don't think that will be necessary, but you might have more on your roof than me. Gonna be 50 with a buncha rain on Tuesday, 40 for a low that night, then 45 for a high on Wednesday.

edit: tomorrow might change this. Although just says 1-3 for here now, keeps changing back and forth between 3-5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 04:20 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,135,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
I don't think that will be necessary, but you might have more on your roof than me. Gonna be 50 with a buncha rain on Tuesday, 40 for a low that night, then 45 for a high on Wednesday.

edit: tomorrow might change this. Although just says 1-3 for here now, keeps changing back and forth between 3-5.
OK... so I have 9 inches on the roof now. I'm supposed to get 12 more, because I'm right in the middle of the extremely small areas where 8-18 is possible , that's 21 inches. If I get 1/2 inch of rain, that is not enough to melt all the snow on the roof so now I have this huge mass of heavy ice by Thursday.

And then suppose the next storm turns out to be 10 inches of wet snow. What do you think could happen then?

its all about having the right gear and planning ahead.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I have two snow throwers, one is 34 years old and one is 18. Both only function when I make them. Sometimes I have to use a stick to get them started and keep them running. Conveniently, the older one also has a new snowplow attachment.
My old one required a whip and a lot of harsh words. I didn't take no guff from a snow blower. My new one is a gentle soul who only gets fed ethanol free gas.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:16 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,302,610 times
Holy Beans !

Issued by The National Weather Service

Caribou, ME

3:15pm EST, Fri Feb 12
... WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 10 AM EST SUNDAY...
* LOCATIONS... CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN AROOSTOOK COUNTY... PENOBSCOT COUNTY... AND INTERIOR HANCOCK AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES.
* HAZARD TYPES... BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS.
* WIND CHILL READINGS... 20 TO 30 BELOW ZERO.
* TIMING... LATE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING.
* IMPACTS... FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA ARE POSSIBLE IF NOT DRESSED APPROPRIATELY WHILE OUTDOORS.
* WINDS... NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES... 0 TO 10 BELOW ZERO.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS... MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Stay safe guys.

And here are the max temps for Sunday. Map will change tomorrow since its a 2 day advance forecast.

http://www.weather.gov/images/erh/gis/CAR_maxt_Day2.png

Minimum temps

http://www.weather.gov/images/erh/gis/CAR_mint_Day2.png

All maps here including the lowest real feel temp next 24hrs

gis_wfo

Old 02-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Weather guys get so hyped up. The Norlun never appeared at all.

ONly the tip of Stonington got anything. MDI and Ellsworth got sun. I always wonder how the weather guys can hype things up so much and then never ever apologize for hyping something that never appears. John Bolaris, major station weather prediction in Philly in 2000, predicted the storm of the century, and then nothing happened. he got fired and ended up in some station in Wisconsin for 6 years before finally getting back into a Fox station in Philly.

Weather forecasters can't be held responsible for weather that doesn't appear, but they should be held responsible for hyping things based on their models that never happen. Rapidly rising temperatures due to models for supposed global warming that hasn't remotely matched the models is another example.

Meteorologists never ever make it clear that their models are often wrong, and that their predictions are just predictions. BTW, the Farmer's Almanac did not predict this Norlun, but they have predicted a coastal storm for next week, which will have rain on the coast and snow in the interior. And they didn't do that 5 days out, they did that last July, 2015.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:16 PM

Sure is going to be another cold one tonight ! Then after sunday night, we have 10 days of temps above freezing- even 40's...

For tonight :
"
Issued by The National Weather Service

Caribou, ME

2:40pm EST, Sat Feb 13
... WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 10 AM EST SUNDAY...
* LOCATIONS... SOUTHERN AROOSTOOK COUNTY... NORTHERN AND CENTRAL PENOBSCOT COUNTY... SOUTHERN PISCATAQUIS COUNTY AND INTERIOR AND COASTAL WASHINGTON COUNTY.
* HAZARD TYPES... BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS.
* WIND CHILL READINGS... AS LOW AS 30 BELOW.
* TIMING... LATE TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING.
* IMPACTS... FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA ARE POSSIBLE IF NOT DRESSED APPROPRIATELY WHILE OUTDOORS.
* WINDS... NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES... 11 BELOW TO 2 ABOVE.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS... MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:55 AM

749 posts, read 419,308 times
In Aurora, ME, we received approximately 4-5" of fluffy snow from yesterday afternoon and evening.
At first it didn't look like we would get anything, then it began with flurries after 2:00 pm!
Still not looking forward to Tomorrow/Tuesday's mess!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheasternBound View Post
In Aurora, ME, we received approximately 4-5" of fluffy snow from yesterday afternoon and evening.
At first it didn't look like we would get anything, then it began with flurries after 2:00 pm!
Still not looking forward to Tomorrow/Tuesday's mess!
I THINK WE ENDED UP WITH maybe 3.5 inches of extreme fluff. Not even enough to be nuisance. Of course getting that in south carolina would be time to call up the National Guard.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I THINK WE ENDED UP WITH maybe 3.5 inches of extreme fluff. Not even enough to be nuisance. Of course getting that in south carolina would be time to call up the National Guard.
That is because states like that do not even have snow plows as well as resources such as road salt etc. They also have a tendency to get more ice than ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine