Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

22,962 posts, read 28,406,916 times

Advertisements

In the 8 years we've been in Maine, I've only had to spray 1 wasp's nest. They're around, but I wouldn't call them "common."

Bees are pretty common, but I've never run across any aggressive ones.

Bats have actually been more of a nuisance than bees or wasps, and we haven't had any bat problems for a few years.

Squirrels will also get into your attic if you give them the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am a beekeeper.

It may be a perspective thing, but to me, it seems that there are few bees in Maine.
Hey, Subby, speaking of which, how are you doing with that this year?

I just came in from banking two queens, and checking the two nucs that I made myself to breed some new queens and both have a nice new, fat virgin Carniolan in them.

I lost three hives in the fall, and my two originals made it through their second winter OK. I split one of them (Hive #2) into 3 nucs, and took one nuc from the other (Hive #1). I didn't get either one soon enough because of the weather and ended up losing the queens so I had to replace them. Plus, I bought two nucs this spring, so now I have eight going. Apparently I didn't reduce the population in Hive #1 enough, queen is gone and there are a bunch of swarm cells- I don't want to delay long enough to let them mature and mate so one of the new mated queens will go in there, and I'll take the swarm cells and start some more nucs (3 or 4), and (hopefully) be able to bank some queens against any late summer losses.

I wish I could control the mating of my virgin queens, because I'd like to have Carniolan/Italian hybrids, but that isn't possible. I have plenty of Italian drones to do the deed, but I have Carniolans too, so it's just going to be a crapshoot.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM

37,567 posts, read 61,646,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Hey, Subby, speaking of which, how are you doing with that this year?

I just came in from banking two queens, and checking the two nucs that I made myself to breed some new queens and both have a nice new, fat virgin Carniolan in them.

I lost three hives in the fall, and my two originals made it through their second winter OK. I split one of them (Hive #2) into 3 nucs, and took one nuc from the other (Hive #1). I didn't get either one soon enough because of the weather and ended up losing the queens so I had to replace them. Plus, I bought two nucs this spring, so now I have eight going. Apparently I didn't reduce the population in Hive #1 enough, queen is gone and there are a bunch of swarm cells- I don't want to delay long enough to let them mature and mate so one of the new mated queens will go in there, and I'll take the swarm cells and start some more nucs (3 or 4), and (hopefully) be able to bank some queens against any late summer losses.

I wish I could control the mating of my virgin queens, because I'd like to have Carniolan/Italian hybrids, but that isn't possible. I have plenty of Italian drones to do the deed, but I have Carniolans too, so it's just going to be a crapshoot.
Sounds like you are doing very well.

My hives [2] appear to have far too much moisture in them. They lost to mold this winter. I have a new colony installed.

I bought from a breeder in Georgia, when they shipped they did not punch the holes into the syrup can deep enough, so no syrup could come out. When I got them 50% were dead. They are struggling now, hopefully this summer will be a good one and they can become a strong hive before fall.

Have you checked out the new Penobscot County bee club? They meet the last Thursday of every month.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 AM

7,061 posts, read 9,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Sounds like you are doing very well.
LOL, just trying to learn how to manage them effectively and use their natural tendencies to my advantage. It gets a tad expensive to keep buying new nucs. Two books- "Increase Essentials" and "Queen Rearing Essentials" by Lawrence John Connor have been helpful.

Quote:
My hives [2] appear to have far too much moisture in them. They lost to mold this winter. I have a new colony installed.
Proper ventilation and moisture absorption boards help to manage moisture. This year I'm going to add an extra entrance about half way up the bottom deep- I've found that the expected deaths during the Winter tend to block the bottom entrance (because they spend most of the time clustered and don't bother with the usual 'housekeeping), which negatively affects air flow and allows moisture to build up. Keeping the snow off the 'porch' of the bottom board entrance helps too (I actually had to use snowshoes to get out to them this past Winter).

Quote:
I bought from a breeder in Georgia, when they shipped they did not punch the holes into the syrup can deep enough, so no syrup could come out. When I got them 50% were dead. They are struggling now, hopefully this summer will be a good one and they can become a strong hive before fall.
Yeah, that's why I like to get mine from Lincoln S. over in Albion, I know what I'm getting and I know that they are in good health. You should still have time for a good build-up, especially if you keep feeding them. Lincoln had invited me to go down to Georgia this Spring, to get some experience working in his yards there, but with work and some medical issues I couldn't make it. Maybe next year.

Quote:
Have you checked out the new Penobscot County bee club? They meet the last Thursday of every month.
I had planned on going to the inaugural meeting, but their meeting time and my work hours make it difficult. I'm not so sure that I would get along with the guy they elected as 'president', so I have not made the effort.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm doing "very well" but I've been learning a lot through trial and error and experimentation. If there's any way I can be of assistance to you, PM me and I'll send you my number. I'd be more than happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine