Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,059,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There are sure a lot of folks who live in mobile homes in Maine.
To me, mobile home floors get very, very, cold in the winter. I do home health and been in the very, very, nice ones to the rickety on their last leg ones. I think the best bet is go to the town you want to live in, find out if there any houses in foreclosure. That is IF you are handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,506 times
My wife and I personally lived in apartments and houses and, yes, mobile homes for the better part of 30 years. We are past the basement thing. In our experience, especially in northern New England, basements reperesent water leaks, dampness and cold. In looking at homes in Maine with a realtor we have seen some mobile homes recently. One in particular (a doublewide) was quite nice and was on its own piece of land (about 1/4 acre) with city water and sewer and a nice big back screened in porch. And the fuel oil usage as according to the provider was surpisingly low. The thing was insulated so well and have thermopane windows. And it was 25 years old but the owners kept it in immaculate condition. I guess like houses, you have to take each one individually.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
To me, mobile home floors get very, very, cold in the winter. I do home health and been in the very, very, nice ones to the rickety on their last leg ones. I think the best bet is go to the town you want to live in, find out if there any houses in foreclosure. That is IF you are handy.
I prefer Radiant heated floors. We never owned a house that had it, until we got to Maine. With a heated floor you consume a lot less heating fuel.

I think that for most people migrating to Maine, renting for the first year is a good idea. Renting gives you a chance to explore and see if you are really i the best community, before you commit to buying.

We rented an apartment, while I was building our house.

There are a lot of older abandoned houses in Maine, that a buyer should be able to buy for good price.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:35 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Pros to Mobile Home: Cost
Cons to Mobile Home: Everything else.

Sorry, but it's that simple.
I liked mine when I lived in one. There has been more than one time where I wished I still lived in it.

Pros: Purchase price, cost to heat, cost to pay property tax on (will vary with amount of, and location of land). Ease of cleaning. When it eventually falls apart, you mount the tires, hook on, pull it out and replace it with a new one because if basic maintenance is done on it, it should last longer than the payments do. Maintainence was much less than the current stick built ranch I live in now. Most new mobile homes are constructed better than some old houses.

Cons: Forced hot air. That stinks. It cools off too quickly. On the plus side, a pellet stove can be installed in most of them. Tend to be a wind tunnel in the unfortunate event that they catch on fire (or at least the older ones are). Some cheaper building materials (carpets, etc.).

Overall, I think they get a bum rap. The newer ones are nice IMHO.

That said, with the current state of real estate, I think it's harder to sell one because there are many empty houses and great deals to be had for them.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I prefer Radiant heated floors. We never owned a house that had it, until we got to Maine. With a heated floor you consume a lot less heating fuel.

I think that for most people migrating to Maine, renting for the first year is a good idea. Renting gives you a chance to explore and see if you are really i the best community, before you commit to buying.

We rented an apartment, while I was building our house.

There are a lot of older abandoned houses in Maine, that a buyer should be able to buy for good price.
I need to look into radiant heated floors- sounds like absolute heaven in the winter!

Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I need to look into radiant heated floors- sounds like absolute heaven in the winter!
Frequently we get into discussions about how much heating fuel people use.

We are in a large home, though we tend to use much less fuel, as compared to other posters here.

I see two big differences that we have as compared to many other posters. We have lots of large windows, that give us a good deal of passive Solar Gain in winter, and we use radiant floors.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Frequently we get into discussions about how much heating fuel people use.

We are in a large home, though we tend to use much less fuel, as compared to other posters here.

I see two big differences that we have as compared to many other posters. We have lots of large windows, that give us a good deal of passive Solar Gain in winter, and we use radiant floors.

That is a good bit of info to pass along. Thank-you! What do you think of the wood pellet stoves?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
That is a good bit of info to pass along. Thank-you! What do you think of the wood pellet stoves?
They seem to work really well.

To me, there is a spectrum of heating systems, it goes from fully-automated to fully-manual.

On the fully-automated end are systems where you have a thermostat and a monthly bill, but otherwise you can go for years without touching the heating system.

On the fully-manual end are systems where you: haul fuel, start a fire, regulate the fire, re-load more fuel every hour, and when the fire goes out you shovel ashes. Before you start the process over again.

Automated is clean, easy and without effort. Manual is otherwise.

Automated tends to be the most expensive, while manual tends to be the least expensive.

Pellet Stoves are about in the middle. They make a reasonable compromise between extremes.

However it is hard to find a pellet stove that heats water. Heated water is a good medium for storing heat, and for moving heat to other locations.

If you want to heat one room only, a pellet stove is great. Options for getting that heat into the corners of a room are limited. Options for getting that heat into other rooms are limited.

Often people make mistake by placing a pellet stove in a corner of a room. Then they wonder why the stove does not heat the room evenly. Brother Ben Franklin noted this, and invented the idea to put a stove in the center of a room so you provide heat more evenly to a greater percentage of the room.

I have also known many people who burn wood inside a stone / masonry fireplace that sits 75% outside. When it is -20F outside that masonry fireplace is -20F. The fire in the fireplace might be hot, but 75% of that heat goes outside by way of the heat-sink of the masonry. IMHO, the outer wall on the thermal envelope of a structure is no place to put a heating device.

Ooops, I have rambled on and on. I apologize.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Trailers start to depreciate in value the second you buy it. That is why they are a terrible idea from a financial point of view.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:50 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
They also tend to outgas various unhealthy things from the cheap building materials in them. I wouldn't want to live in one. There are better options. So many cheap fixer upper houses around, and cheap wooded land you could build your own house on if you have the ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine