Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:05 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times

Advertisements

Doesn't everyone else living here want to go scoop up the friends who want to be here and bring them back with us? I do. It's always nice to read why you all want to be here, and about your hopes and dreams for Maine, but it's kind of sad at the same time. I wish you weren't having to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
What happened today? I was reminded of precious friends like MW waiting for our arrival!

And I can be packed in an hour.....

Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Though I don't have a Maine box started, we did pick up a few prints and hung them on our living room walls. Used a picture of high and low tide that DH took as well as a shadow box of sea shells. It gives me a sense of purpose and peace in my everyday life to be surrounded by these things. (corny, but true)
Not Corny at all. I don't have a Maine box per se...I have always decorated with a New England theme...country cottage...even here in Florida. From the pictures on the wall of Warren Kimball seacoast and other seascapes; framed personal photos of the Lighthouse Trail of Nova Scotia; to the lighthouse dishes in the kitchen; lighthouse plates in the hanger on the wall; light blue walls and cranberry color accents; a piece of driftwood and seashells and my latest find of the seagull on a pier; the collection of minature lighthouses and a large table lighthouse with a nightlight left burning at night. I am bringing it all to Maine. In the imagination of my childhood heart, before we ever conceived the idea of a home in Maine, the dream has become a reality.

I agree that it gives you peace to be surrounded by bits and peaces of things that give us comfort. The lighthouse signifies hope.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Doesn't everyone else living here want to go scoop up the friends who want to be here and bring them back with us? I do. It's always nice to read why you all want to be here, and about your hopes and dreams for Maine, but it's kind of sad at the same time. I wish you weren't having to wait.
Thank you for that thought! The friend who will be likely moving with me keeps reminding me "it will happen" and yes, I know it will. The energy is flowing that way and once that starts there is no turning back even if we wanted. I cannot wait to be able to add observations to Maine Nature News, to pour over seed catalogues in February.. and March... and April ... waiting to plant and to fuss over all the babies started in the windowsills, keeping them from damping off. Every time it gets cooler here in NC (as it is today, though we are only in the 40s and might make it to freezing tonight) and BIG doggie breaks into frolic mode on her walks I tell her "soon, Brandi!"

It will be 2008 if I have to sell off everything then hitch the dogs to a cart and point them north!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I saw Bob in the kiosk in the mall Sunday but he was completely surrounded with customers and I couldn't get to him. =(

Old 12-17-2007, 02:25 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
You all are just so wonderful! Elston I love reading your posts with the quotes from the journal. I love how she wrote! Maine Writer, I agree completely

Old 12-17-2007, 04:20 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

OH my god if one of you was happening to drive a big truck down to florida and happened by my house and my belongings and the dogs happened to hop in the car and the truck and we ended up in maine five days later .... OH MAN... that would be very wonderful.

Come scoop us up !! We'll go by texas on the way.

Thanks for the very nice thought. We're extremely quietly patient while packing and sifting and chomping at the bit....

Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
And I can be packed in an hour.....
So you will be arriving in a couple days?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
OH my god if one of you was happening to drive a big truck down to florida and happened by my house and my belongings and the dogs happened to hop in the car and the truck and we ended up in maine five days later .... OH MAN... that would be very wonderful.

Come scoop us up !! We'll go by texas on the way.

Thanks for the very nice thought. We're extremely quietly patient while packing and sifting and chomping at the bit....
Maybe we could hire one of those big box vans like they use to shuttle in illegal aliens over the border here! Someone can drive and they can just start on the western seaboard and make the way across the country. Just be sure to label the van "Maine or Bust!" so we don't inadvertently end up in the back of the wrong truck!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Unhappy Missing Maine

Hi everyone!

I woke up this morning feeling a little homesick so I thought I'd drop by. The holidays here just aren't the same. There is something so very ridiculous about that big fake Christmas tree down in the center of my town. Christmas lights on Palm trees just don't work for me. A couple weeks ago when you guys had your first BIG storm as I so jealous. I was glued to my computer watching Storm Center all day. I miss all of the pre-storm excitement in the air when a big storm is approaching and all of that anticipation of what's to come. I miss hunkering down and gearing up. This will be my first Christmas down here as last year I went home to spend it with my kids and family. Meanwhile, I just grin and bear it. I'll be fine again after the holidays, just right now... it all seems so silly down here. Santa in shorts? Pah-lease!

Happy Holidays everyone! Go make a snow angel for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine