Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 PM

37,485 posts, read 61,459,729 times

Advertisements

This Californian prefers to live in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 04:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,553,433 times
Winter isn't always this bad in Maine but it seems all of the east coast has had a rough, snowy and icy winter. We have had a few "open winters" in the past few years and those aren't bad at all. Less snow and not as many sub zero temps. Spring will be especially welcome though. I hear that California is having a severe drought. I hope there will be and end to that soon.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM

114 posts, read 136,565 times
Default Thank Moon Beam Governer of Cal.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Winter isn't always this bad in Maine but it seems all of the east coast has had a rough, snowy and icy winter. We have had a few "open winters" in the past few years and those aren't bad at all. Less snow and not as many sub zero temps. Spring will be especially welcome though. I hear that California is having a severe drought. I hope there will be and end to that soon.
Thanks to the "tree huggers" over here, aqua ducts that could have fed snow melt to rivers and dams and release systems, so the tiny smelt fish won't die are stopped up. Now millions of humans are going to suffer, as well as the farmers that grow 80% of the produce the country consumes.

Wait for it. Wait for it. When lettuce, milk, eggs, anything that comes from California is tripled in price. The staples of life will take all of your money.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm simply watching the daily news of what is coming. Over there you are a strong people. You are a hardy people. You will receive a cost, that should have not come.

Now you know why I want to leave. I want no part of this state.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:19 PM

37,485 posts, read 61,459,729 times
There is a growing sub-culture in Maine of small-scale sustainable farms.

Every year we see more Farmer's Markets opening, with more local vendors.

If California farm production decreases, such action may encourage local farm production here.

The USDA and Farm Bill set extreme hurdles for small farmers to get over in their struggles to become viable. Neither the USDA nor the Farm Bill will be going away anytime soon. So at least if California production did decrease there would be some bright side for farms in Maine.

Two out-of-state corporations are buying large tracts of land in my township. One has already bought 1500 acres and is in the process of converting land from forest-to-farm [yes, even though it is mid-winter folks]. And today a realtor was here at my home, wanting to make me an offer for some of our land, under a non-disclosure statement [that I could not reveal who the corporation was, or what their plans were].

Old 02-23-2014, 06:08 AM

625 posts, read 793,186 times
I get 70 to 80 percent of all my families food from within 100 miles of my home. Three freezes full of game and local raised pork, chicken and beef even some lamb. Several hundred jars of everything from beans to carrots in the basement. CA could fall off the map and my life would not change other then a few cheers of joy.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 AM

114 posts, read 136,565 times
Default power to you my friend............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
I get 70 to 80 percent of all my families food from within 100 miles of my home. Three freezes full of game and local raised pork, chicken and beef even some lamb. Several hundred jars of everything from beans to carrots in the basement. CA could fall off the map and my life would not change other then a few cheers of joy.
sad to say though, not the majority of people can do what you do. A gallon of milk over here is 3.99 per and up. Lobster is $12.99 and up a pound. With the drought and farmers not getting water allocated, the ripple effect will be passed to every state around the US within a year. Stay strong and hopefully you guys are pulling out of the Polar Express soon.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
Wait for it. Wait for it. When lettuce, milk, eggs, anything that comes from California is tripled in price. The staples of life will take all of your money.
We would never buy fresh produce, eggs or much of anything else shipped from CA. We have enough local growers who are now opening winter sales stands...and many of us, our own gardens and whatever can be stored from that (we still have kale under burlap in ours).

One thing for sure is we may have to start eating more like our ancestors did—what is produced locally and in season. We may not be eating CA lettuce, etc and Florida oranges due to price and climate conditions. Why should we? It's not really natural when you come to think of it. In New England and other norther parts, what we would be eating in winter is stored root veg's, pumpkin, stored grains and dried beans, locally raised animal products, and whatever we put up from summer. That is the movement afoot in New England that Submariner talks about.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 AM

793 posts, read 1,344,414 times
Just read this article...

California almond farmers face tough choices - SFGate

It's a tough battle fighting Mamma Nature.

Wish we had almond trees here, I'd be in heaven.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:31 PM

625 posts, read 793,186 times
Quote:
sad to say though, not the majority of people can do what you do. A gallon of milk over here is 3.99 per and up. Lobster is $12.99 and up a pound. With the drought and farmers not getting water allocated, the ripple effect will be passed to every state around the US within a year. Stay strong and hopefully you guys are pulling out of the Polar Express soon.
You can do anything you wish. My milk comes form my two cows that live on a farm up the road from me and I can go pick up fresh milk anytime I want it a couple gallons every other day or so the rest gets sold and offsets the cost to house and care for them. Lobster at 12.99 a pound? My brother law has been lobster fishing for his whole life never got anything close to that. You CAN do the same as I do here in most of the country. OF course you have to want to do it and be willing to make a few friends and work a few deals. The snow and cold is not big deal. Every Mainer expects the worst and accepts the daily tastes. Stocked freezers, pantries and root cellars to a drawer full of batteries, plenty of stacked firewood and a full tank of propane for the generator just in case is standard fare.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:09 PM

468 posts, read 759,430 times
Quote:
Thanks to the "tree huggers" over here, aqua ducts that could have fed snow melt to rivers and dams and release systems, so the tiny smelt fish won't die are stopped up. Now millions of humans are going to suffer, as well as the farmers that grow 80% of the produce the country consumes.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm simply watching the daily news of what is coming. Over there you are a strong people. You are a hardy people. You will receive a cost, that should have not come.

Now you know why I want to leave. I want no part of this state.

Honestly, it was a mistake of the market to ever allow the country to become so dependent on California for produce. I read labels as well as planning accordingly so I seldom buy fruits and veggies that require airfare to get to my table anymore.

My last plate of veggies were locally grown winter squash and Russian banana potatoes. No airplane required. The lemon wedge in my iced tea came off the dwarf lemon tree that lives in my sun room during the winter (about 3 dozen lemons a year.) I'm still using up my backyard apples as well as home-canned peaches and frozen blueberries and I didn't have to dry up any rivers and kill the fish to do it.

Last edited by beltrams; 02-23-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine