Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,556,948 times

Advertisements

De
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Sorry about that above - It posted and I wasn't finished

Just wondering if anyone has U S Cellular and is happy with the service and the price. I went to " Verizon" to upgrade my phone Monday and was told by a very nice woman that I could do that and keep my same plan and have a different phone with a slightly larger screen and keyboard. So far fine. So she ordered the phone and called me Tuesday saying it was in and to come in and pick it up and they would transfer my information to it from my present phone. I don't text so that wasn't an issue. I couldn't get there Tuesday so I went by this morning (Wed). and the woman was not there so a young man
waited on me. He told me that what she sold me was not available and I could NOT keep my present plan. The cheapest, monthly charge would be $45. I said well, I guess not and I would check out what they had to offer at U S Cellular. When I said that he said well - we just bought out U S Cellular. I doubt this very much as they are playing ads still on TV.. Can anyone shed some light on this? I felt he just "lied" to me and was trying to make a better commision.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,274,272 times
i had us cell for yrs..... they were ok,,,until. someone hyjacked my plan/number and ran up minutes..

i tried calling customer service about the mix up and they were treating me like i stole the minutes,,,very dismissive and insisted i pay the minutes,,, I called a manager, then another and got the same attitude,,,so i said im done,,i paid off my bill and havent been back....my new work phone- i phone is on At &T and i like them so far

I havent heard that us cell and verison is now the same company

Old 02-12-2014, 07:06 PM

80 posts, read 139,845 times
They are as good as any for Maine....price,coverage,service....they didnt carry the tip top phones to offer historicly but now changed that for the better. The network itself is etter than most in rural areas.

I got the Moto X 3 monthes ago which is a top phone. They have iPhones now....The Moto X is my 4th phone with them. Reception is really great in the mountains where I spend alot of time.
I would shy away from Samsung products on their (CDMA) network as there have been a few issues with irradic cell reception/ dropped calls on some of them.

Its like cable I guess. Lovem and hatem. If a plan fits you and is a good price the rest of its fine.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the comments - I only use a cell phone to make and recieve calls so I don't feel the need to pay for all the bells and whistles I won't ever use. I will check out A T and T and also U S Cellular when I am ready for new phone. I have been trying to get US Cellular on the phone but it is just impossible without waiting for 15 minutes for someone to answer. I definetly think this dude at Verizon was lying to me about them buying out US Cellular. Time will tell.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:54 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,098,198 times
I kicked my Verizon contract to the curb just about a year ago and went with US Cellular, for about the same or a little less money, I got a smart phone plan, no contract, unlimited calls, texts and 2 gigs of data. I had to buy the phone, but that was only a C-note. The phone/service work much better in my house than Verizon ever did.

I got USC no contract by going to WalMart and buying the phone there. The smart phone plan runs me about $50/mo. with taxes and fees. If all you do is calling, no texts or data you can get cheaper service and a no-frills phone only costs about $15. It did then, anyway, I haven't really looked at phones since.

I resisted the smart phone for a long time, thinking that I didn't 'need' it...but, now that I have one, I love it. Weather, news, and anything else I want to know is right there in an instant, and the built-in gps and mapping functions have proven to be extremely useful, especially for my job.

Texting was a chore with my old VZ flip-phone and I hardly ever used it. Now, with the smart phone and a full keyboard Mrs. Z and I use the text function a lot- we can chat back and forth throughout the day when we have a minute, without devoting time to a full phone call. When we do want to call, we have wireless BlueTooth earpieces (Plantronics) that let us talk even when we are involved with something else.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:49 PM

80 posts, read 139,845 times
AT&T has spotty cell service in parts Maine. Verizon and USC have the widest coverage if that matters.

The carriers maps dont always cover what they show well...regardless of what they show.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,274,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Thanks for the comments - I only use a cell phone to make and recieve calls so I don't feel the need to pay for all the bells and whistles I won't ever use. I will check out A T and T and also U S Cellular when I am ready for new phone. I have been trying to get US Cellular on the phone but it is just impossible without waiting for 15 minutes for someone to answer. I definetly think this dude at Verizon was lying to me about them buying out US Cellular. Time will tell.
i resisted getting a smart phone for a long time,,didnt want to pay for the bells and whistles of "crap" i wouldnt use.

as zymer stated ... and i agree, now that ive got an i-phone without it being that much more,,,it is so very well worth it,,
my i-phone is now my gps, my camera, my cam corder, my calender, my mp3 player,
my mini computer - sending emails, and also emailing pics
i even have a (dont know the official description but we use to call it a dictaphone) for verbal recordings..

and it has the internet- so you can google anything at anytime..

for years I resisted being one of the "phone people" but im now becoming one.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,577,873 times
I have been a US Cellular customer for years. If there was a problem brewing, they have always come through for me. Their pricing for my basic needs is fine.

One bit of wisdom I can pass along is: go in person. The store down here is woefully understaffed for the volume of customers they serve; they don't answer the phone because they can't. Also, I decided to be loyal to the same store; they know me & my US. Cellular history, which makes things easier.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the tip Maureen. After things settle down here, after the sudden death or our son, I will check out what they offer at US Cellular. I certainly have decided to not go with Verizon again after the rude treatment I got at their store. There is a USC store right in the Bangor Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: