Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times

Advertisements

So, since I have partook of may conversations about driving in Maine weather from a multitude of new Mainers (welcome by the way to those who are more recent ) I'd like to take a moment to remind us all that there really is nothing so important that we have to get in our vehicles and drive in this junk.

Fortunately this isn't the norm up here, but it certainly happens and nothing irks me more than storm joy riders. I'm not talking about people who have to come and go from work (this stuff started after most were at work). I'm talking about those who will stop at nothing to get their Dunkin Donuts or a trip to WalMart.

You all know who you are.

No amount of 4 WD, all wheel drive, front wheel drive, studded tires, or Sherman Tanks will drive well in this weather. Please stay off the roads and let public works PD and EMS have the roads clear of joyride drivers. I was called to see if I could go into work. Ha. I couldn't get out of my driveway if I wanted to.

I'd rather drive in a raging blizzard. At least your tires will grip. This driver was incredibly lucky that no one was coming the other way.

Stay safe.

Scary video shows how treacherous Bangor roads were Saturday — Bangor — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM

625 posts, read 792,719 times
Ok a Mainer does what they have to. Slow and steady.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 PM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times
The roads were very bad Saturday.

We went into Bangor for a meeting, and there were a lot of vehicles having problems.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:19 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Remember when people used common sense and stayed off the road unless truly necessary? Too many people don't care that others will have to risk their lives because their poor choices.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Ok a Mainer does what they have to. Slow and steady.
I agree, but did you watch the video? My DH managed to get up the driveway and parked. Once the engine was shut off, the truck slid sideways and down the driveway.

I don't think you can get much more slow and steady than off and parked.

This storm is a different circumstance. This is from Bangor Police Department's facebook page.

Pay particular attention to the next to the last line. See? We do help strangers now and again.

"WOW!
I just got done crunching the numbers, and Saturday Jan 11 was one for the Bangor PD record books. During the hours of 6:00 AM and 8:00 PM our patrol officer and supervisors responded to 140 calls for service. 85 of those calls were for motor vehicle accidents. Our dispatch team answered the 911 lines 221 times (which is about 2.5 times the normal amount for that time frame) and they answered 522 calls on the business line. I just want to say thank you to our employees who were working Saturday and commend you for a job well done! Everyone pulled together and did what needed to be done with patience and professionalism (and very few bathroom breaks). Bangor PD would also like to commend the folks at the Bangor Fire Department, Bangor Public Works, Union Street Towing, and Capitol Ambulance (who all also had an incredibly busy day) for a job well done. Additionally, we offer a big thank you to all the Good Samaritans and Good Neighbors who were helping out friends, neighbors, and total strangers all day long. Now, let’s hope we don’t have another day like that for a while!"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bango...t/227432866078

221 calls to 911 and 522 calls to the nonemergent line. That's 743 calls made to dispatch. I talked to some of the EMS/PD people. Yup. People were out in that mess...eating lunch and shopping...I made a sandwich and stayed home.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Remember when people used common sense and stayed off the road unless truly necessary? Too many people don't care that others will have to risk their lives because their poor choices.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: