Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:36 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
...About the biggest reason I can see for locking the house in Maine is to prevent the friendy neighbors from walking in on us doing the "wild thing" on the livingroom couch or the kitchen table or something like that
ok, yes, you're right....I do lock the doors then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
Quote:
When I worked in Boston/Lynn, it cost me more to replace locks and glass in my cars than the value of the stuff stolen. My house in MA, the locked doors didn't stop them, they broke a window and made off with some guns.
Yeah, I had a friend in Boston who had her car window smashed, they stole an apple, $1 in change and a brush. Good rule of thumb in boston is to show nothing of any value visable. Hide it all.

Bars on windows and doors in boston are a good idea.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsgirl View Post
this topic reminded me that i just read within the last few weeks about a young man who got arrested for stealing and said that if people didn't lock their cars, they deserve to have their stuff stolen. that boy's been raise right!
what a crock!! no one "deserves" to be stolen from....that's like saying someone "deserves" to be abused.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I'm in Maine, and I'm a locker.

I lock windows, doors, cars, etc. It takes a split second to lock a door and most thiefs will skip you. Last year someone broke into every car on our entire street and just took whatever they could get thier hands on. Change, cd's, clothes, ipods, etc. Guess whos car they skipped? Yup.....mine. It was locked.
I am not in Maine, yet, but I am NOT a locker... when I was living in Spokane WA there was a bunch of "spring break" vandalism. My car was the only one on the block that was NOT damaged...all the others they broke windows to get into and then rifled the stuff. Mine was unlocked and so they didn't have to break anything. There was nothing to steal.. that was an old car that I started with a screwdriver in the ignition too, and the screwdriver was under the seat. Still there. Car was still there, but I was late to work on account of they left my door open and ran down the battery... I had to string a couple of heavy extension cords from my apartment to power the battery charger.

I lock the house when I go to bed and when I leave for more than a little bit as much so someone won't try to come in and get bit by my grouchy dog as anything else. When I do my dog walk around town (30-45 min or so) I usually do not lock, unless my intuition says to.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:09 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsgirl View Post
this topic reminded me that i just read within the last few weeks about a young man who got arrested for stealing and said that if people didn't lock their cars, they deserve to have their stuff stolen. that boy's been raise right!
Ok, fess up. Who left the bridge unlocked and let the troll out?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:15 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
When I worked in Boston/Lynn, it cost me more to replace locks and glass in my cars than the value of the stuff stolen. My house in MA, the locked doors didn't stop them, they broke a window and made off with some guns.
I have family in Saugus. The house is never left empty and the car alarm is never off unless it's being driven.

Quote:
About the biggest reason I can see for locking the house in Maine is to prevent the friendy neighbors from walking in on us doing the "wild thing" on the livingroom couch or the kitchen table or something like that
ohhhh... 25 years and I'm still not over it.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
'locking' our house? We have our own kind of threats to intruders.

During this past week our buck has been getting more and more 'randy'. First his stink has been getting much stronger, bring tears to your eyes strong.

Working outside today I had to carry a stick, to hit his snout to get him to leave me alone. He was very persistent. He wants to mount everything.

I think that if anyone were to 'visit' our place now, they would be far more at risk of being assaulted by a goat.

Between that and a 100 pound great pyrenees puppy that drools and jumps on everyone.

I think that we are fairly safe from intruders. But are intruders safe?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:26 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I was just wondering if a lot of you feel safe enough in Maine to leave your cars running if you stop into a convenience store, or your doors unlocked at night? Is there a safe feel to many parts of the state?

I realize not all parts of Maine are like that - how about Portland? Bangor? I'd like to relocate to Maine within the next 7 months. I grew up in a town where we could do that (and people still do), and currently live in a city where leaving your car running or your door unlocked is not only dangerous, it's unthinkable. Was hoping to get your insight. Thanks!
At a convenience store? Probably not running with the keys in it. But I usually leave the car unlocked unless I'm going to be away for a long time.

I live in Brunswick. A couple of months ago, I actually left my laptop in the front seat of my car with the windows down for about an hour. I wouldn't recommend doing that anywhere, but when I came back everything was still there. Granted, the car was parked behind the Little Dog Cafe, right next to the police station.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
i havent locked the door to my house in over ten years,,
i use to leave my keys in the car, til i got a car with automatic door locks that work when they want to!!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i use to leave my keys in the car, til i got a car with automatic door locks that work when they want to!!

I hate those damn things! Mine does the same thing, plus the button is right where you bump it all the time, so I always carry an extra truck key in my wallet so I can get back in when I leave it running someplace and the blasted thing decides to lock me out. You have no idea how embarrassing it is to have your keys locked in your running vehicle, until you have been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine