Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
The Maine I grew up in was unarmed. Eventually, the only people I knew who had guns were criminals, none of whom had been north of Portland. Growing up, I encountered only one adult who actually went out and hunted. The rest were all talk.

I try to stay away from what passes as 'news', but a few years ago there was national attention on the public carry laws. Like most normal human beings living outside of a war zone, I had not been aware that these laws existed. The photograph of the idiot in a California (?) Starbucks with a holster and gun around his hips totally shocked us. Great visual for a toddler, doncha think?
Growing up in the County, half the homes had a gun of some sort. Usually more than one. It was never given a second thought. Kids were given a 4-10 once they hit the Big Kid Age (whatever that was judged to be)...
Hasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
I don't hunt, but I am very proficient at hitting my targets.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 AM

332 posts, read 504,992 times
As far as what I already know - yeah I am avoiding that right to bear arms discussion. Ain't gonna go there.

When I say that Maine was unarmed, I am not referring to whatever laws were in place; I am referring to behavior.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Uh, number 2 on the pro list. From that and other comments I'm getting the notion that Mainers are really into firearms. (Not in my Maine, they were'nt.) Hearing gunshots would totally wig me out. I am terrified of firearms. Don't have a problem with hunting and enjoy being the recipient of wild meat, but .... Wait a minute, you wouldn't be hearing gunshots except in hunting season, right?
The only days you can't hunt something in Maine are Sundays. There's always a season open for something.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Growing up in the County, half the homes had a gun of some sort. Usually more than one. It was never given a second thought. Kids were given a 4-10 once they hit the Big Kid Age (whatever that was judged to be)...
Hasn't changed.
when my son was 12, i got him a 20 gauge shotgun for christmas,

after he opened his present, we went out on the deck... and we did some target practicing.
he would bring this shotgun out hunting with me,, and thats where he learned how to handle and respect it-as my father did with me..
thats the difference- our frame of reference with firearms is with hunting,,,not crime,,i grew up in a house with a loaded gun...never once did i think to play with it, or use it..

i've dated women which seemed to be very scared of guns ....she never handled them as kids, and listening to the news all her life- guns killed people

but ive also known some women that can handle firearms - not afraid of them at all,,,just respect them.
as we all should

Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
but ive also known some women that can handle firearms - not afraid of them at all,,,just respect them.
as we all should
My mom is Annie Oakley with a pistol. Hates rifles and shotguns though. Too much kick.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
I'm somewhere between Fog and Sub. No problem with the cold dead hand argument, but the last thing I want to see is some nummah in Denny's packing - or hiding and packing - think they're going to "protect me and my family." Same thing with the move last year to "arm" schoolteachers, etc. Never saw the need to carry. Back in the 1990's my son could still get up at 4:00 AM, go deer hunting and be at school with the .30-.30 trapper behind the seat of the pickup truck and a box of shells in the glove compartment. Much more responsible than a lot of these noveau "CCP" cop wannabes. Now, I'm not saying legislate some kind of restriction, I'm just saying those that like to display their manhood on their hip clearly have issues.

By the way: Pros of Maine: Outdoors, fishing, hunting, natural beauty. Cons: Politics (both ways), freakin' cold that won't go away. I see taxes are fairly neutral when held to say, NH, where property taxes are ridiculous and property prices considerably higher.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
My mom is Annie Oakley with a pistol. Hates rifles and shotguns though. Too much kick.
Ohmigawd, Annie Oakley. I was madly in love with her when I was 3 or 4. Even had my own little Annie Oakley outfit. Which my mother wouldn't let me wear. Ever. Foolish foolish woman. I can barely remember Oakley other than the pigtails and the jumping onto her horse. Clearly the gunplay didn't make a lasting impression!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
when my son was 12, i got him a 20 gauge shotgun for christmas,

after he opened his present, we went out on the deck... and we did some target practicing.
he would bring this shotgun out hunting with me,, and thats where he learned how to handle and respect it-as my father did with me..
thats the difference- our frame of reference with firearms is with hunting,,,not crime,,i grew up in a house with a loaded gun...never once did i think to play with it, or use it..

i've dated women which seemed to be very scared of guns ....she never handled them as kids, and listening to the news all her life- guns killed people

as we all should
That's the thing: guns are made specifically to kill. Period. They are not just a fashion statement.

This is gonna sound snobby, but I don't mean it that way - I just have never been around the sort of people who are into guns. Except military and law enforcement. Alien culture to me. It's all so Walton Mountain/Floyd's barbershop. Without the warmth. Silencers? Is that so the other deer can't hear when you shoot the first one? I've got this picture in my head of these goombahs from NJ coming up to the County dressed in their patent leathers and fedoras pointing their silenced weapons at the beavers.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I'm somewhere between Fog and Sub. No problem with the cold dead hand argument, but the last thing I want to see is some nummah in Denny's packing - or hiding and packing - think they're going to "protect me and my family." Same thing with the move last year to "arm" schoolteachers, etc. Never saw the need to carry. Back in the 1990's my son could still get up at 4:00 AM, go deer hunting and be at school with the .30-.30 trapper behind the seat of the pickup truck and a box of shells in the glove compartment. Much more responsible than a lot of these noveau "CCP" cop wannabes. Now, I'm not saying legislate some kind of restriction, I'm just saying those that like to display their manhood on their hip clearly have issues.

By the way: Pros of Maine: Outdoors, fishing, hunting, natural beauty. Cons: Politics (both ways), freakin' cold that won't go away. I see taxes are fairly neutral when held to say, NH, where property taxes are ridiculous and property prices considerably higher.

I know there is crime everywhere, but even here in my current home in NY I have never locked my door. Even when I am away. Maine? Are you kidding me? Maybe up there in the North Woods the culture is beyond anything I can imagine - you folks are scaring me now, and I always wanted to go exploring up there -
Bottom line: I don't trust anybody who thinks they must wear firearms. Whatcha scared of anyway, big guy?

Pros of Maine: people give each other space; 'my' campsite on Chain of Ponds; Nachuh.
Cons: the usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine