Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:30 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,375,060 times

Advertisements

Augusta does have some nice parks, and nice neighborhoods..
like most towns,,,has different sections

here's a video of someone going down western avenue...then taking some side streets pass the governers mansion (blainehouse) and the state capitol building,,,tho you cant see both,,then going down the old main street-
this was a hopping place at one time,,,one of the oldest forts in the nation is in augusta-fort western

towards the end of the video, is in an area called sand hill- an old french community-was an old edwards textile mill there years ago-now torn down- when i was 5 i lived in this neighborhood-
you can barely see the kennebec river (on the right of downtown st)- from there,,you can boat all the way to the ocean if you wanted to

the video below is of fourth of july's fireworks,,augusta has a good display ,,over the river

http://youtu.be/nx5uSq77VhM

Augusta, Maine, USA - YouTube

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 08-03-2013 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 AM

14 posts, read 26,411 times
Well, who can resist the appeal of a healthy jog followed immediately after by ice cream...at two competing spots. Sounds like we have dessert plans for a few days

Joking aside, that is helpful - so far most of the recommendations we've had were for lobster places. Not that we don't like lobster - we do - but you probably shouldn't have it for every meal.

Excellent videos! Those fireworks are gorgeous!

We've been trying to decide where to stay around Augusta - we want to head down to Portland for a day trip, but would like to stay either in Augusta or in one of the towns around it as a "home base" for a few nights. Any recommendations or anti-recommendations? We don't need super fancy - comfortable and clean, and if possible, with a local flair.

I'm starting to feel like we need to buy dinner for everybody in this thread. Or perhaps, ice cream...?

Last edited by Tiana-Arylle; 08-04-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Augusta Downtown Alliance has been making steady progress in revitalizing the downtown area along the Kennebec River:

Augusta downtown manager proponents say second time will be the charm | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME
That slideshow was awesome! Downtown Augusta looks adorable! (Or for the men in the house, "pretty cool!")

Nice to see people making intentional efforts to revitalize their town without losing what made it great.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,435,654 times
Though we have not stayed at the Quality Inn in Augusta, it looks very nice. It is very convenient to Hannaford's (great grocery store), a few restaurants, and shopping--all are just across the street.

The Quality Inn & Suites Maine Evergreen Hotel - Platinum Award Winning Augusta, ME Hotel Exceptional Ranking on TripAdvisor.com!

Two restaurants: The Chinah Dine-ah in South China, Maine Home Page

The Red Barn Menu | The Red Barn

In Bangor, you might stop at Dysart's truck stop. We haven't been there yet but look forward to it. Dysart's Restaurant|Dysart's Truck Stop|Bangor Maine Restaurant

Maine is gorgeous, and the people are incredible--simply the best we've met anywhere. Hope you have a great trip!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,572,679 times
Don't forget there is also a Gifford's Ice Cream stand in Bangor on Broadway. You don't need to drive all the way to Skowhegan.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,087,566 times
Funny how there's so much competition here! I live in a small town right outside of Augusta, simply because the house we needed was there. We easily could have chosen the Bangor or Waterville areas. Auburn was nice too.

Augusta has what we need for shopping and it's easy to get in and out via the interstate. The fireworks were nice, we were right on Memorial Bridge so we had front row seats. We don't care much about night life so I can't comment on that aspect of Augusta.

Fielder's Choice does have some awesome ice cream and it's cheap. I have seen many healthy sized crowds at the Giffords in Waterville, but I haven't stopped. Let the ice cream wars continue.....

Good luck in your search!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,213,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Funny how there's so much competition here! ... Let the ice cream wars continue.....
Are you kidding? I've seen Mainers eating ice cream in snowmobile suits lol. There is NOTHING more important than ice cream.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 AM

So apparently our vacation and potential move choice will be planned around ice cream Unexpected - but still awesome!

"So what did you do on vacation? See lots of nice neighborhoods, eat lobster?"

"Well, actually...we ate ice cream."

Not too bad

Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
I have lived in the Augusta area for 25 years. I find Augusta ugly and depressing, although a lot of the services are there and it is equidistant to Portland and the coast. There are some nice communities around it though, especially if you're into nature, crafts, animals, simple things like a lot of people are. I would not expect to find much culture or intellectual stimulation. You find that in Portland, Brunswick or the other college towns. Take a ride around Augusta about 6:30PM on a weekday. The roads will be pretty empty. If you've lived in crazy places though, you'll find it a relief. But this lack of life can be a drag.

A lot of people (not everyone) in the Augusta area have lived there all their lives. They often work for the state or nonprofits as those are the few options for employment. It's not like an area where there are a lot of people coming in and out, so it can be hard to make friends. People are genuine, but you will find narrow-mindedness. People can make assumptions about you because you're from away or if you're educated. You have to prove yourself.

In terms of IT though, I think if you're good, you could easily get work, especially in areas like Augusta, where many people may not want to move. Nonprofits (there are many in Augusta) have a hard time getting people. (HINT: the Maine business climate is pretty moribund and dominated by small businesses).

If you want more openness and activity, I’d live someplace closer to Brunswick or Portland and commute. I'd really check out some of these Central Maine towns, don't just think they have lovely houses so it will be a wonderful, open community. They’re small and you have to live with people. Hallowell is artsy, but it's a tiny town. Gardiner is coming along, but it still has a mill town feel. But if you want a quieter, family life, they may be just the thing.

My advice is be realistic and really think thru what it would be like to live somewhere and how you’d do.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,572,679 times
While visiting Augusta you may want to check out the State Museum as a break from eating ice cream. lol - Also one of our favorite restaurants is at the Senator right by the interstate. We meet our family from NH there many times at Thanksgiving, also staying there at the Inn on occasion. They have a lovely indoor pool.

Enjoy the foliage while you are here in mid October

Last edited by Newdaawn; 10-03-2013 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: addistion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine