Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM

307 posts, read 1,599,031 times

Advertisements

My dad is hospitalized with Congestive Heart Failure and will most likely need someone to stay with him part or full time at the lake near Windham. Any suggestions on agencies or best way to hire someone trustworthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,122,005 times
There are home health care agencies that can help you find the people you need. There is Home Support Services in Windham, as well as a number of others in Cumberland County. The Southern Maine Agency on Aging should also be able to help you with referrals and other services, and it's located in Windham as well. Actually, I would start with SMAA and get some advice before moving into the actual hiring process.

Last edited by Coaster; 06-27-2013 at 01:59 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 PM

157 posts, read 329,819 times
Hello,

I am nurse and read your post and couldn't help but try to assist and support you with some informational resources. I am sorry to hear of your father's illness, it must be very concerning for you and you 're doing the right thing by researching. Presuming your Father is on Medicare health coverage, you can go to the following link below, I have already entered the town of Windham, and 7 home health care agencies are displayed on the "Results" page for you t review and evaluate their quality of care in terms of clinical outcomes of care, processes of care, and actual (collective) results of patients' surveys about their care experience. The links are not intended to be an end all be all tool as you will surely want to check with your hospital discharge planner or social worker, friends and family for advice as well in advance of your Dad's discharge as his home care needs are identified and Medicare coverage of same following an acute in-patient hospitalization.

Medicare Home Health Results

Be sure to read coverage and eligibility at the link below.
Home health services | Medicare.gov

We recently purchased a home in Jonesport, ME for seasonal residence, I am retiring at end of this year and I hope to be able to continue my passion for compassionate nursing by voluntarily sharing what resources I can with the community.

Please feel free to PM me should you require additional info or clarification.
Best wishes on your Dad's recovery.

Leah, RN

Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM

404 posts, read 782,489 times
Southern Maine agency on aging, as suggested by Coaster, is the way to go!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 PM

23,846 posts, read 17,510,286 times
Word of mouth for independants, some very good independants! Agencies a good source, however, you can run across some very poor agency sponsored caretakers.

We made the person sign in and sign out. taped directions to cabinet after explaining what was expected. Had some problems with person making 900 calls. Agency admitted problems with this person but would not pay for the 900 calls because it could not be 'linked to their caretaker.

Got to be on top of whoever you get. Biggest concern is reliability as some people never bother to call in or show up late and your dad, if real independant, might run out of patience waiting and fall down trying to do for himself. Be very clear the caretaker cannot bring a 'cousin' or anyone else into the house.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 AM

625 posts, read 800,244 times
Ask the doctor at the hospital who they recommend. Also ask the local home med supplier they will know all the local folks. My grandmother had a home nurse for about 10 years. Meet allot of great folks.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM

793 posts, read 1,353,321 times
My aunt was an independent care-giver. She started out as a personal cook for a wealthy older woman on Mount Desert Island. The woman's family adored my aunt and asked her if she'd take on the care-giving duties also. My aunt's daughter (my cousin) became part of the staff too.

They were paid very well and when the woman died, both were mentioned lovingly in her obituary.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 AM

307 posts, read 1,599,031 times
We just asked the PT who came to visit dad and she said she'd work on finding someone. I'd like to keep him at home as long as possible. It's mostly mobility issues at this point.
Mercy hospital did a great job getting him off a lot of medications and he's in pretty good shape coming out of there!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM

793 posts, read 1,353,321 times
That's good news, Moxie...It must be difficult, being so far away.

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: