Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving is only 17 days away so I need to start collecting the items I need to make a traditional dinner for 8.

I'll roast a turkey and fill it with sausage, apple and fresh cranberry stuffing, providing I can find some Bell's Seasoning around here. Forgot to bring some back with me this fall.

Baked, stuffed sweet potatoes.
Traditional Mashed potatoes with turkey giblet gravy

Homemade cheese and rosemary rolls

relish tray with black olives, green olives, tiny pickles, tiny ears of corn, tiny carrots

green bean casserole with slivered almonds and Durkee's onion rings.

Pumpkin Pie and Apple Crisp

Nice bottle of wine

some sausage and cheese balls and a mexican taco dip for appetizers.

Next day, leftover turkey covered with Raye's Harvest Mustard, heated and served with leftover mashed potatoes, green beans and stuffing on an open faced sandwich.

Anyone else doing a special dinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
With a spread like that, I may be trying to find your house for Thanksgiving! Sounds like a great time, hope you enjoy.

For us everybody gets together at my Mother and Fathers house for a huge Thanksgiving Dinner. Usually a Turkey that could feed an army by itself, and a smoked Ham, along with all the traditional sides. It is a fun time and a time to kick back and relax with friends and family.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
yum!! that sounds similar to our dinner corgis!! can you tell me more about the rosemary rolls? I've never made anything except the traditional white dinner rolls and those sound like they'd be a nice change

Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
I think we can all just follow our noses!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
yum!! that sounds similar to our dinner corgis!! can you tell me more about the rosemary rolls? I've never made anything except the traditional white dinner rolls and those sound like they'd be a nice change

Just add about a tablespoon of fresh chopped rosemary to your roll dough. It's not overpowering and if you add shredded cheese with the rosemary, it's really good.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post

Anyone else doing a special dinner?
Not here... is just me and the critters... I was honestly considering not even getting a turkey for this year, as have a package of cooked meat from the last fowl still in the freezer. But that will go to turkey tacos in the next two weeks with my company, so I guess I can do one.

The rest is all CARBS though... and since I just managed to break my 155 plateau, I will go VERY easy on the splurges... with luck I will pass the 150 mark right around Thanksgiving... and reach the top end of my goal range by the end of the year... so then I can begin to try to find where "normal" will be.

I will probably try doing cranberry sauce (not the jelled kind) with Splenda. Hold the 'taters and opt for a winter squash... more vitamins and still seasonal. Maybe a bit of stuffing, if I can figure how to ONLY make enough for in the bird. And a small bird ( I do not like just the breast thing...) for once, though I know that the larger ones are more economical (more meat per pound) but since I am trying to hold down on the amount of stuffing...in this case smaller is better. Maybe if I can get a good deal, I will get two little ones and cook one later.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Corgis thank you! I'll try it before Thanksgiving....hmmm, maybe with a pork roast.....and let you know how they came out

Star, is your heart set on turkey? Those "oven roasters" whole chickens from Perdue are good, and the cavity may make a little more stuffing than you'd like, but I think you can just not fill it as much. Congratulations on your weight loss!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I'll roast a turkey and fill it with sausage, apple and fresh cranberry stuffing, providing I can find some Bell's Seasoning around here. Forgot to bring some back with me this fall.
Well I just happen to be going in town tomorrow morning. How many do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Corgis thank you! I'll try it before Thanksgiving....hmmm, maybe with a pork roast.....and let you know how they came out
Molly, I want to make these too. Where can you get fresh rosemary?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Venison sausage in the stuffing, wild cranberry relish with cranberries from Mattagodus Stream, ice cubes made with Maine cider, wild blueberry pie and the turkey cooked in a trash can. If I get lucky, some venison tenderloins on the side.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
The traditional turkey dinner with all the fixins' at my mom's. Will most likely eat too much, even though I vow not to every year. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine