Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
Seven months now living in Maine. It was a difficult transition only because of my age and leaving my children behind. I am used to the weather pretty much because I come from Massachusetts where similar seasons exist. For the past 10 years we have been building a new house on the shores of Lake Wassookeag and although not finished inside we are now here to complete it. We retired last year and moved to a trailer in the interim while we finish building the house. Living in Maine is the best thing that ever happened to us for all of the reasons described in all the past posts. It does get a little cold for me at times (still have the electric blanket on the bed) but my wife loves the cold and would probably wear little or nothing around the house if we weren't 60 years old now.

I have a small pension and some health benefits which gets us by nicely. The town itself seemed to lose it for a while but currently there are 4 brand new commercial establishments on the main road, one being an organic grocery. The old mill has been purchased and the owner is looking to convert to retail as well. So things are looking up. Just finished putting on the rear deck which is cedar and measures 12x32. When I stand out there and look at the lake and hills in the distance I am truly at peace with the world. I love Maine, the people, the courtesy, and the countryside. I never get tired of looking at mountains and lakes each day. One traffic light in town and that's all I need at this point in my life. I do not miss the fast-paced life from where I came at all. I'm about 3 1/2 hours from my children so it's not all that bad. My only concern is the distance to the hospitals which really is not that bad. I guess I am a happy camper at this stage of my life.
halfabuck, glad you made it to Maine! I remember when you were posting before you moved. Do you find the driving to town at an older age a problem? Or do you pretty much stay where you are? You escaped Mass. just in time....our fair governor wants to up the property and income tax and lower the sales tax. Nice compromise, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM

399 posts, read 854,988 times
newenglandgirl- Thank you for the well wishes. Yup, finally landed. Today our governor announced a budget to "temporarily" raise the sales tax and also shifts more costs to the cities and towns which will ultimately fall on the property taxpayers. The burden always seems to be on the property owner and therefore so many people who don't own property don't pay. I think it should be distributed a little more evenly in a lot of other directions. In Mass we know there will be more revenue through property & income than through the sales tax I would bet. They're not stupid and again the legitimate working person and property owners pay and the rest don't.

As far as driving to my own town not a problem. It's only really at the end of the street. I have kept my doctors from Mass and the trip down there has become much too difficult. Not only can my body not handle the stress but then there's money for lodging, food, gas, etc.. which adds up especially getting into Boston. I have had my records sent to the Maine Medical Center in Portland which is half the distance. I can go and come back the same day or simply spend the night and perhaps have dinner at a nice restaurant.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
newenglandgirl- Thank you for the well wishes. Yup, finally landed. Today our governor announced a budget to "temporarily" raise the sales tax and also shifts more costs to the cities and towns which will ultimately fall on the property taxpayers. The burden always seems to be on the property owner and therefore so many people who don't own property don't pay. I think it should be distributed a little more evenly in a lot of other directions. In Mass we know there will be more revenue through property & income than through the sales tax I would bet. They're not stupid and again the legitimate working person and property owners pay and the rest don't.

As far as driving to my own town not a problem. It's only really at the end of the street. I have kept my doctors from Mass and the trip down there has become much too difficult. Not only can my body not handle the stress but then there's money for lodging, food, gas, etc.. which adds up especially getting into Boston. I have had my records sent to the Maine Medical Center in Portland which is half the distance. I can go and come back the same day or simply spend the night and perhaps have dinner at a nice restaurant.
So as a retiree you seem to love Maine. That's great news, and I wish you and your DW well. You will enjoy your quiet spot more and more as the world goes mad. Stay healthy! Thanks for posting.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 PM

25 posts, read 44,561 times
Right on!! But you did forget to say that although Mainers are friendly they are not social! because we have NOTHING in common with the people from away!!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet the jet View Post
Right on!! But you did forget to say that although Mainers are friendly they are not social! because we have NOTHING in common with the people from away!!
Oh come now. What exactly is it about Mainers that they are nothing like what people are like from away?

I am from away and other than snowmobiling and fishing I probably have a lot more in common with Mainers that I do with folks here. But we are both speaking generalizations.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
I am not sure about that.

Mainers I see at Lodge or the American Legion Post, at the VFW post or at church, at the Grange or at Shrine; all seem to be very friendly AND social.

I have attended function at all of these social events in Maine, and at each of them I see Mainers being social.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
Quote:
I'll bet that you live in the woods somewhere. A long dirt driveway with debris lining both sides and at least three inop cars shoved in a back lot. Your garage is probably in need of repair and your house half unlivable.

See, I can stereotype and give negative affirmations too.

Or, are you just being ironic or using reverse psychology because friendly people are social just by their nature, or that because we have nothing in common with people from away that are probably glad that you won't be in their lives? I'm so confused.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
That's not true of the Mainers I have met. I see them in the Lodge, at the theater, at the gallery, at the festivals, and they seem to be socializing every time. I've found things in common to chat about with lots of natives.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's not true of the Mainers I have met. I see them in the Lodge, at the theater, at the gallery, at the festivals, and they seem to be socializing every time. I've found things in common to chat about with lots of natives.
Previously, when I have heard folks saying that Mainers are not friendly. I have began asking which social venues the individual got active with.

There are many venues here that a person can become active with.

Last night I attended a potluck / 'game night'. Attending it required first that 'I' had to go to it. If I had not attended the event, then I can not blame them.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
My brother is a retired physician who attempted to retire to Kennebunkport. He has a lot of money and bought a gorgeous home with an ocean view. He lasted 16 months and returned back to California.

As a native Californian, he couldn't adjust to the gloomy winter weather and lack of sun. He loved the Maine people, however, and the Maine way of life. He just couldn't tolerate the gloomy winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine