Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizalamar View Post
@nmader1: You sigh a lot!!

@ Radioflyer: I didn't know about the Manchester, NH airport. Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome.

I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM

35 posts, read 80,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Thanks for "putting me(and certain others) in our place". I feel soooo much better about having you call Maine home now.....sigh.......
nice the flat landers are keeping us straight...LOL
AND~~~~~~
property values go UP ....
and our QUALITY of neighbors go down...

Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,989 times
It doesn't matter where you live, and I personally have lived in a lot of places besides Maine, and brought up my own kids and worked with plenty of children not my own. Still, I always find it funny (and also kinda sad) when parents overbook their tiny children.

Here's what mine did when they were four: they went to preschool part-time and they played. They made forts and had tea parties, they read picture books and ran around outside waving sticks and digging holes and drawing with sidewalk chalk.

...and then they went on to be advanced in reading, math, science, and languages, were always in G & T programs, took rigorous IB and AP schedules, did independent research, graduated at the top of their classes, and went to the most prestigious Ivy League and tech schools in the country. All of my kids did.

But please, proceed. I'm not giving advice except this: there are no do-overs with children. They only get one shot at childhood.

Good luck with your move, OP

Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,773 times
Yes, Eliz, you seem to bring out sighs and frustration in many of us..........you seem so "full" of yourself.......
Please, move where ever you wish and have a happy life.........

Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizalamar View Post
Have you taken the Downeaster? If so, how long is the ride?
From Brunswick to Boston is a 2-3 hours. It's not that far, but there are a lot of stops along the way.

It can be MUCH longer in the winter. Not so much because of snow, but because once the temperature dips low enough, they have a hard time switching the rails. I've never had the train cancelled because of delays, but I hae seen them running hours late.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,501 times
Default Arundel (near Kennebunk and Kennebunkport) is nice!!

I have lived in Arundel for 30 years and it is desirable. The elementary school (M.L. Day) is TOP NOTCH and one of the reasons that many families move here is the choice of high school. RSU 21 school district is wonderful. The community is quaint and the neighbors are friendly. The big box shopping is approx 6 - 15 mins away depending on which side of town you live. Easily commutable. The amtrak Downeaster train stations are close (Wells and Saco). Maine is fairly expensive to live (cost of living) but overall a great place to live. If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer those.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:14 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
I have only taken the Downeaster from Dover, NH to North Station in Boston and it is a little over an hour - but so nice not to have to take a car into Boston. Also coffee, snacks and drinks are available. We last rode it the beginning of May to attend gdaughter's graduation from Northeastern. Got off - and there we were at TD Garden right at North Station. A GREAT DAY for sure. Lunch at a nice Italian restaurant (table for 10) just a few steps from the Public Garden where we took lots of pictures the graduate and her boyfriend and another graduate and her family visiting from NY to attend.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 401 times
@elizalamar

This is an older string, and I hope this reaches you. Our young family is considering the southern Maine area, and we share the same concerns you had prior to moving, spot on. How did it all work out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine