Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,822 times

Advertisements

I work for a national retailer and have been offered a District position in the Maine and Northern NH market. I just have a few questions.

#1: I am looking for a good source of apartments in Southeastern Maine. We don't want to buy a house until we are sure the position works out so I am looking for apartments in the areas of Portland, Auburn, Augusta, Topsham ect... The only problem I am having is I am only finding apartment complexes on-line and I would prefer to find a place with a private renter. Is there a good classified's source or a place to find apartments for rent in a non-complex environment? I have my wife and two young boys coming with me.

#2: Since my job involves working several stores over a large geographic area I am not really settled on exactly what town/city to move to. Any recommendations for a young family with two boys aged 3 and 17 Months? We would love an area that is good for the kids since my wife is a stay at home mom at the momment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because if I accept this job I have to be moved in by 12/01/07. Thanks so much guys!

Spyguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:20 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,525,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy7540 View Post
I work for a national retailer and have been offered a District position in the Maine and Northern NH market. I just have a few questions.

#1: I am looking for a good source of apartments in Southeastern Maine. We don't want to buy a house until we are sure the position works out so I am looking for apartments in the areas of Portland, Auburn, Augusta, Topsham ect... The only problem I am having is I am only finding apartment complexes on-line and I would prefer to find a place with a private renter. Is there a good classified's source or a place to find apartments for rent in a non-complex environment? I have my wife and two young boys coming with me.

#2: Since my job involves working several stores over a large geographic area I am not really settled on exactly what town/city to move to. Any recommendations for a young family with two boys aged 3 and 17 Months? We would love an area that is good for the kids since my wife is a stay at home mom at the momment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because if I accept this job I have to be moved in by 12/01/07. Thanks so much guys!

Spyguy
Welocme Spyguy..just curious, but would your employer be Wal-Mart? I recently left them after 12 years.. also Southeasyern Maine is touristy, but I beleive still better than almost anywhere I've ever been. Most definitely better than Southwest Ohio.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:32 AM

Definately not Wal-mart. Ick. lol

I'm a bit Aprehensive about saying who I work for since I havnt accepted the position and my offer isn't common knowledge. But I can definately say it isnt wal-mart

Spyguy

Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,525,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy7540 View Post
Definately not Wal-mart. Ick. lol

I'm a bit Aprehensive about saying who I work for since I havnt accepted the position and my offer isn't common knowledge. But I can definately say it isnt wal-mart

Spyguy
I am most definitely glad to hear that..they treat their associates like crap. I work for HR in a Macy's call center that's 3000 strong.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,111,045 times
Spyguy, have you looked at going a little further northwest of Portland? I don't know the area well, but travel may be just as easy from that location, and finding a nice rental at a lower price may be easier too.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 19,252 times
Below is a URL for a site that lists I would guess 80% of the Papers in Maine. This is a great resource for people relocating. Good Luck

Maine.Info - Maine Newspapers and Magazines

Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Huge help. Thanks! =)

Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM

454 posts, read 886,808 times
Howdy

Mainetoday.com will also help you find private rentals....it is the compilation of all major Maine newspapers in one place.
And even Craigs list for Maine can be very helpful.

IMO, if you stay away from Portland (pretty much the whole southern section, actually), it might make the difference between renting an apartment in a jacked-up, noisy mini-city.....and renting a house with a yard in a pretty rural area.
The farther North you head, the rents get cheaper. I live not too far from Augusta, in a beautiful, rural area and I have found it to be a great location. I can be anywhere in the state within a few hours, I'm away from the hub-bub of the "city" (which, for a capital city, Augusta is pretty tongue-in-cheek), and still close enough to the main highways to travel where needed.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine