Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times

Advertisements

I absolutely detest moving. That said, this last move we used U-Haul to save expense and because there is a place to return it within fifty miles or so. We had a brand new truck that was spotless. We didn't move a lot, just the essentials in a 17' truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 AM

50 posts, read 207,393 times
When my wife and I make the move from Dallas, Tx to Ellsworth, Me this next spring we are using a Penske truck. Got a great rate on a 26' by locking in the rate now. It was roughly $673 for the truck! I estimated the gas at 9MPG for 2050 miles at $3.50 per gallon (Diesel, estimating high side) for another $800 rounded up. So all in all about $1500 wirh a little cushion in there.

This made alot of sense since when you hire movers you cannot ride in their truck with them, so you will have to fly or drive your own car, which adds more cost.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times
I have to say I admire anyone who has moved a long distance....we moved from Bangor to Eastport in 99, then Eastport to Calais in 03.....then just moved some furniture 2 years ago to the house in Eastport, along with some other essentials.....I HATED every single second....and still have boxes that haven't been unpacked. I never moved as a child--oh, that's not true, but not since I was 5 .....I just admire you all for doing the big move to Maine, regardless of whether it's DIY or moved for you it's a big challenge and a lot of work! Good luck to all of you!

and when you get here, may you never need to leave!!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM

378 posts, read 1,031,949 times
Default that's AWFUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
We also like Penske - we'll be using one of their trucks for the final move. We've already taken a truck up to our house in Maine twice - UHaul was horrible, especially when the truck broke down on I-81 in Penna. Took over a day to get someone to come and fix it and then it broke down again on I-95 just outside of Bangor. Next truck we used was Budget which was more reliable but more expensive. We are moving our stuff a small truckload every other year from WV to Eastport so that final truck should be no more than the essentials to stay here until the move.
oh man that would be awful. breaking down while moving. once while moving my truck kept not starting and every time i'd call the place when the guy got there the truck would start right up. Finally I realized that every time we went in the back of the truck (cooler and such) we were not securing the door and tehn there were tons of lights burning. ..... geez. BUt, it would have been very bad to have had to move all the stuff from one truck to another. I kept visioning that. yikes.
I've had to take uhaul trucks BACK and request different ones the originals were SOOO bad that they tried to stick us with.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 PM

378 posts, read 1,031,949 times
Default never never never

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I have to say I admire anyone who has moved a long distance....we moved from Bangor to Eastport in 99, then Eastport to Calais in 03.....then just moved some furniture 2 years ago to the house in Eastport, along with some other essentials.....I HATED every single second....and still have boxes that haven't been unpacked. I never moved as a child--oh, that's not true, but not since I was 5 .....I just admire you all for doing the big move to Maine, regardless of whether it's DIY or moved for you it's a big challenge and a lot of work! Good luck to all of you!

and when you get here, may you never need to leave!!

It would be something PRETTY HUGE. My plan is to keep moving farther on, never back DOWN. LOL !! No way I am ever ever ever ever heading south again.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 13,531 times
My fiance and I are moving into a place in Old Orchard Beach from northern CA. We are leaving later this week. We are DIYing. Our Toyota Tacoma will be filled to the brim towing a 5'x8' UHaul trailor with my Honda Civic packed to the brim as well. I don't like other people touching my stuff, plus we were going to have to get our cars there somehow. It'll be fun!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
That's a bit more adventure than I could handle these days good luck on your move, I hope all goes well.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM

11 posts, read 32,546 times
THANK YOU everyone! I really wanted the PODS but they're not around Clarksville or Bangor! On the plus side, Budget just quoted me at 789 and Penske at 701 for 6 days and unlimited miles! Which means we will definitly be able to spend Christmas in NY with my family...it will be a short visit but a visit nonetheless. I just cannot wait to get to Bangor! I am so excited I am having a very difficult time concentrating on my classes and the newspaper. After living in the South (first Louisiana, then KY then Tenn) for the past 5 years, I am beyond ready to get back to the North! I am so not a Southern girl! I need fresh air and civilization! And changing seasons! And family owned restaurants--no more corporate chains for me for a VERY long time!
Anyway, I need to stop now or I never will! Thanks again to everyone for all of your help! I feel so much better now knowing it won't break us moving our stuff-we have a medum sized house full!
~Steph

Old 10-23-2007, 06:58 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times
Steph that's great!!

and Ryan, good luck with the move....be safe....and make SURE you check in with us to let us know how it all went and that you got here safe and sound! (wow....can you tell I'm a Mom?? lol...)

Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,096,966 times
I keep saying "Next time I move, I'll hire someone" but I keep doing it myself. I've seen a lot of horror stories about so-called "prefessional" movers- high prices, extra add-on charges, things broken, things that "disappear" between one stop and the next.

Not too long ago I moved a friend from Houston to Miami. We hustled and packed everything in about 6 hours. I grabbed a night's sleep and drove straight through except for fuel and SoBe Rush stops, and one two-hour nap. Nothing broken, nothing missing. Truck was a U-Haul, a rattle-trap but it didn't break down, even though I was pushing it pretty hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine