Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM

23,046 posts, read 28,591,915 times

Advertisements

Bill Nemitz: Horror all around over teen filmmakers' bloodbaths set in Brunswick | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Granted, there are some very legitimate safety and trespassing concerns with what these kids are up to. But banning them from the library for a year? That's outrageous and disgusting.

As parents and members of the community, we ought to be encouraging creativity like this, not squashing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,673,361 times
The outrage, I tell ya.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,938,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Bill Nemitz: Horror all around over teen filmmakers' bloodbaths set in Brunswick | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Granted, there are some very legitimate safety and trespassing concerns with what these kids are up to. But banning them from the library for a year? That's outrageous and disgusting.

As parents and members of the community, we ought to be encouraging creativity like this, not squashing it.
For now I'll suffice it to say creativity? Really? Is that all you are concerned about. Do you really think parents and members of the community should be encouraging violence and blood? I hope their boundaries between fantasy and reality are clearly defined.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 AM

23,046 posts, read 28,591,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
For now I'll suffice it to say creativity? Really? Is that all you are concerned about. Do you really think parents and members of the community should be encouraging violence and blood? I hope their boundaries between fantasy and reality are clearly defined.
They're shooting zombies. The fantasy is pretty clear. Unless you believe in the walkin dead, I guess.

Boys have always played violence. It started by pretend mammoth hunting and boys still do it today. That's normal. Are there movies heavy on violence and light on plot? Sure. As stories, their movies need work. But in order to improve they need guidance and encouragement, not torches and pitchforks.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,667,728 times
These are modern day snuff films. They cannot go around violating
ordinances; let them get the permits and if they
get the permits or permission, fine, otherwise, public property
should not be exploited in this fashion. The real danger is the thousands
of impressionable young minds who watch this perversion. I don't think
anyone is ignorant enough not to be aware that senseless violence
and callous disregard for the integrity of the human being is twisting the minds of
youth, many of whom have serious lack of moral foundation and unstable
tendencies, accentuated by legal and illegal psychotic drug influences.
Glorifying the activities portrayed only furthers the aims of the police state
and helps recruit thousands of excitable goons, those who will be wielding
the billions of rounds of ammo which the government is preparing to utilize
against the civilian population. No good, either way, can come from this.
Notice that these "kids" are IN THE MILITARY. People need to wake up.
The government is training goons to take over this country. Videos like this
only help them recruit more of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the military,
while telling the media that these "kids" were filming on the base without permission,
are actually funding this project.

Last edited by Snowball7; 01-14-2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 AM

9,634 posts, read 6,077,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I did stuff like that, turned out fine.

You should be more concerned about prescription drugs.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM

793 posts, read 1,353,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I did stuff like that, turned out fine.
A little off topic, but whenever anyone says, "_______ and I turned out fine.", I always say to myself, "Ahem, we'll be the judge of that."

IMO, the Brunswick kids in question should be punished for breaking rules and/or not getting permission. The violence/gun thing makes me shake my head. Being a female, I can't relate. But now that I'm raising two sons, I do accept it. I still don't like it though.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM

489 posts, read 1,220,071 times
Back in the day we kids had BB gun fights. I actually shot my friend between the eyes from maybe about 30 feet or so if I recall. We were both lucky that day.
On another occasion I got shot in chest by BB gun from about 3 feet. That smarts.
I think every kid had a Red Ryder Daisy back then.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM

9,634 posts, read 6,077,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
A little off topic, but whenever anyone says, "_______ and I turned out fine.", I always say to myself, "Ahem, we'll be the judge of that."

IMO, the Brunswick kids in question should be punished for breaking rules and/or not getting permission. The violence/gun thing makes me shake my head. Being a female, I can't relate. But now that I'm raising two sons, I do accept it. I still don't like it though.
Boys have been doing it for centuries. Get over it.

Your unease is misguided. Those who fail to recognize reality in the recent years with the plethora of shootings, are linked to prescription drugs, not what these kids are doing.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM

793 posts, read 1,353,651 times
Your views are misguided.

The current state of affairs concerning gun violence and kids is much more complicated than the use of prescription drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine