Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:34 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times

Advertisements

Winterport has a small dragstrip that is in the woods and off of the main rd
IT is nothing to be worried about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Thanks Chuckie! Hey, that Penobscot River that runs up past Bangor looks awefully brown the further inland you go. Our nearest beach, which is Galveston, TX, has water that is kind of greenish-brown. We're trying to get away from that. We don't swim in it because it's nasty water coming in from the Gulf of Mexico, and it smells bad. I realize it's a silly thing, but how far inland can you actually live and still enjoy crisp, blue water?

Also, I'm assuming there is an actual lobster season, though I may be wrong. I'm wondering if lobster and crab and such is readily available year-round.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:17 AM

169 posts, read 679,010 times
Actually the water in Galveston isn't dirty, the dark color of the sand and the fact that it's so fine and constantly stirring up makes it appear that way. It's not beautiful by any means, but it's a common misconception that it's polluted when that's really not the case.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:22 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
The brown is from basicially mud Lobsters are available year round This is going to sound weird but I have never eaten a lobster So I honestly cant say which is the best time of year to eat them You wont swim in the Penobscot unless you are upstream of Millinocket. Paper mills over the years ravaged the rivers in this state. 30 years ago you could almost walk across the Penobscot due to the pollution I wouldnt swim in it today but atleast if you get wet your hand wont rot of in a matter of minutes

Old 09-30-2006, 10:24 AM

423 posts, read 1,931,625 times
people swim in the Saco river and I feel like that is the most polluted river

Old 10-01-2006, 06:06 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
I fish the Penobscot from Old Town north to Medway and I find it extremely clear. I can see a light colored bait 3-4 feet below the surface if no current. Most of the color in the water in the south is related to sediment and phytoplankton growth (south of the glacial shield).

The Penobscot is the best kept secret in the fishing world......awesome smallmouth fishing.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:29 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
people swim in the Saco river and I feel like that is the most polluted river
Actually, there was an article about the Saco in an issue of Down East magazine a couple of months ago. I'd have to look it up, but if I remember correctly, they said the Saco was actually one of the cleanest rivers in the northeast. The big problem the Saco has is partiers. Police have really had to ramp up patrols to contain the growing problem.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,517 times
Default lincolnville

We've had a camp just west of Lincolnville for 20 years. It is small, rural, beautiful, mostly busy in the summer, has hiking, fishing,(fresh and ocean), kayaking, biking,(hills and valleys). Recently real estate prices have escalated. Many developers in the past 2 years have built single family houses nearer the ocean. Shopping is in Camden or Belfast. Otherwise, mostly the occasional corner store/gas station. Lincolnville beach on route 1 is a tourist trap with a couple good restaurants and an overpriced lobster pound.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 PM

48 posts, read 111,446 times
can tell you about bayside as i live there. it's a very small village about 3 miles south of belfast. we are primarily a summer colony but some of us are diehards and live here year round. there is a small package good store/gas station open till dec. and a wonderful restaurant, dos amigos, which is also open till dec. very quaint victorian cottages that are 100 yrs old and many have been or are being winterized. we have a 9 hole gold course and during the summer months there is a sailing program. shopping is done in belfast or rockland (about 30 mi south), bangor (about 40 mi north). belfast has lots of art galeries, the maskers theater, a great library, christmas by the Bay, small trendy shops and some great eating places. a good hospital and school system.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM

48 posts, read 111,446 times
forgot to mention in my previous post that bayside has a website for information and pictures
www.baysidemaine.com then go to Bayside, A State of Mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: